Sneak preview of our new basic theme!

Hi everybody,

After years of devoted service, our basic theme (which will always be available in the native PrestaShop software) is getting new life with some design rejuvenation. You will be able to see this for yourself in version 1.4.5 and the highly-anticipated version 1.5. Here's your first peek at this new version that will be available for download starting shortly with version 1.4.5 and will be the default choice starting with 1.5.

It's not a complete overhaul, but we are very excited for this update and your opinions are welcome. Enjoy!

post-276528-0-34332000-1317741500_thumb.png

post-276528-0-01491400-1317741515_thumb.png

post-276528-0-31202700-1317741528_thumb.png

post-276528-0-29593800-1317741541_thumb.png

post-276528-0-15896600-1317741552_thumb.png

-Mike

Hello Mike,

Nice theme! Looking forward to using it.

What is the path from PS version 1.4.4.1 to version 1.4.5? (ex. will there be a 1.4.4.X+1 before we see 1.4.5?)

When is version 1.4.5 expected to be released?

Thank you for your feedback.

Best regards

much much better than the default theme we have now :) I hope there are at least 2 or 3 default themes included .Nice add to cart buttons, and overall looks easily customizable.

Looking forward to 1.4.5. I hear the layered navigation block has gone through an overhaul.

Awesome !

I really like the structure of the whole theme. The cart block is placed in the header(my favorite place for cart) and there is easy to customize horizontal menu. Also, product categories and pages are very nice arranged.The big and clean footer just finishes the professional look.

I like the black/grey color scheme, it will fit almost any new style you want to give to the theme.

Good work, that is what I was hoping to see in prestashop !

when we can get hands on it ?

I will add the following : feel free to ask all your questions (feel free also to create a new topic, this will be easier to follow everything ;) ). About themes (and others) we do our best to keep retro-compatibility : old themes are supposed to work, except they will not have all 1.5 functionnality because some templates will be missing.

One last thing about theme is that we drop SmartyV2 to have only the last version. So if your theme works only with smarty v2 compatibility, you will have to make some adjustments.

Theme looks much better then the current default one, huge improvement! I am still running 1.2.5 because of our custom theme, still cannot find something that we like and all the time I spent on designing it. Might consider this theme

Thanks for sharing, Mike! New theme looks good. Aesthetically pleasing, though mockups always look better than the real thing, partly due to coding but more importantly due to real life elements, such as modules displayed etc.

In particular, I like the new footer.

There are a few things I'd like clarification on:

• There seems to be a top menu. Is it a dropdown or a mega menu? A top menu may work for some people, but has some very peculiar disadvantages as well (diagonal problem, limited number of categories, etc). So I hope this theme has the top menu as an option, instead of forcing it on everyone that uses the theme.
  • Cart on top works for some people, with just the number of products showing. And that's fine. But I hope this doesn't mean you are removing the option of having the cart contents showing in the sidebar.
  • May I suggest adding to the bottom of the page (above footer) a slider with manufacturer logos? This may be selected by the admin instead of the manufacturer name dropdown in left sidebar.
  • Absolutely hate putting languages and currencies in dropdowns - options should not be hidden in dropdowns.
  • It has been an outstanding request of mine to have a bar content area vertically (y-axis) above the logo. This way, if desired, languages and currencies (as well as login link) could be placed above the logo. This request stays unfulfilled with this particular rewrite of the theme. Will you consider it for the next version?
  • If I understand correctly http://www.prestasho...attach_id=43786 shows the listing inside a category. Seems there is a checkbox next to each product, and the customer can check boxes and click "Compare". Good idea! Perhaps you could add a button "Buy" next to the "Compare" button. This will be useful particularly for return customers who know what they want...as they can do their shopping rather quickly without having to jump various hoops. Of course, if their desired products have options and attributes then either i) PS could just add the products to the cart with default options, or ii) As in i + in the cart there will be option/attribute dropdowns for each of the products that have them so that options for multiple products can be selected in one go.
  • Come to think of it, the cart should have option/attribute dropdowns for each of the products that have them.
  • In bestsellers, is the addition of the numbers (1, 2, 3...) adding any value? To me it is not good to add the dark bands and and dark boxes - this is just non-data ink. But I am willing to be corrected.
  • On product page, the description accompanying Facebook, Email, Print could be removed, the icons moved to single row, the icons could have title tags with the text used for description at the moment.
  • On product page, more sharing options could be added: Tuenti, iwiw, Hyves, Mixi, Lide, Friendster, Zing, Digg, Reddit, Stumble Upon.....with admin being able to choose which options to put on his shop.
  • On product page, It's a bit odd to have related products etc listed BEFORE the product description.
  • Also, On product page, there should be an option to bring Reviews out of the tab and down on the same page (perhaps immediately after description)
  • On product page, I don't see a place for product demos/videos. Would be good to assign a position for that.
  • On product page, in my opinion, the price (and buy button) should be right at the top, immediately after the product name (which, presumably is H1).
  • On product page, where have the product rating stars disappeared? These should be either i) right next to (to the right of) product name, or ii) immediately after (below) the buy button (repositioned as discussed above). With ratings stars should be the link to "read reviews", or if no reviews are available, link should say "be the first to write a review"
  • If there is a loyalty program running, where will the points show up On product page?
  • On product page, is there a provision to show prices with tax and without tax?
  • On product page, I like the way prices are shown - boldly and with the discount savings clearly marked.
  • On product page, In stock should not be marked so boldly. The default assumption is everything is in stock. Stock status should be somewhat highlighted ONLY if shop is low on stock or out of stock.
  • On cart page, putting the delete button in last column, above the total amount makes no sense AT ALL. Perhaps a red button http://desscorp.com/imsite/delete.jpg (without description, but "delete" in title tag) could be placed in first column (before image photo)? Also, there is no need to artificially separate product photo and product name...instead of 2 separate columns, these 2 should be visually in a single column (even if technically 2 different columns) called simply "products"
  • On cart page, For shops selling products that fall in different VAT classes, a suggestion could be to add a column for VAT so that VAT for each product is visible separately.

@OC2PS

I think that most( if not all) of the things you say can be done by editing the theme and adding modules/stuff. No need to be integrated in the default install, its up to every shop owner exactly how things will be displayed or what features are needed.

Nice theme presta Guys! Really love it. But i have a question.

I haven't read through all the posts in the section, so sorry if this has already been asked, but i'd like to know about the "skeleton theme". Is this a feature you're still planning on implementing in presta 1.5?

Thanks and again good work

Looking good.

Bear in mind people that the default theme in the current version is still better than some of the other ecommerce software's default themes. That is what attracted me to Prestashop in the first place.

Hi everybody,

As Carl mentioned, we are VERY close to releasing 1.4.5. As a matter of fact, the reason I've been so quiet on the forums this week is because I've been going through and testing every. single. text. field. for you guys to make sure we provide you with the BEST e-commerce experience. With more than 40 languages currently supported, this has taken some time, but trust me, it will be worth it. So stay tuned!

-Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike, just checked 1.4.5.1 and there is only one theme folder, I suppose the classic one... am I missing something?

By the way, thanks for releasing 1.4.5! ;)

Hi everybody,

After years of devoted service, our basic theme (which will always be available in the native PrestaShop software) is getting new life with some design rejuvenation. You will be able to see this for yourself in version 1.4.5 and the highly-anticipated version 1.5. Here's your first peek at this new version that will be available for download starting shortly with version 1.4.5 and will be the default choice starting with 1.5.

It's not a complete overhaul, but we are very excited for this update and your opinions are welcome. Enjoy!

-Mike

Hi Delart,

the new standard theme is available soon in addons. As the 1.4.5.1 is a minor release, we didn't add this major modification :)

Philee,

there is always a risk, but it's more related to the adaptation of the theme you must do after the upgrade.

we're releasing that module that will give you more option if the 1.4.4.1 doesn't works perfectly on your server.

"Hi all,

To facilitate the transition to 1.4.5.1, you will find below an updated guide for versions ranging from 1.3.x to 1.4.4.1

Step 1

Download the module automatically update available as attachments below.

autoupgrade.zip (158.99K)

Number of downloads: 12

Step 2

Go to the admin panel> Modules> Add a new module.

And select the archive module's automatic update.

Step 3

Install the v0.1 AutoUpgrade

Step 4

Go to Tools> Upgrade line "Shop desactivated", click "No" and select NO toactivate the store

Step 5

Return to Tools> Upgrade and bottom of the page select the options as below and save.

Step 6

Click Upgrade PrestaShop now. Be patient, it may take several minutes (do not close the page).

Step 7

Reactivate your store by going to Preferences.

Your shop is now updated."

Here's the English translation for anyone who needs it.

What is going on with the "very soon" release of the new theme ? Can we expect it in the next 2-3 days, or we'll wait some more ?

Hi Snade,

We are doing some final testing of the theme to ensure it's complete capability with version 1.4.5 (since it was designed with 1.5 in mind), so I hope to have more news for you on this tomorrow!

-Mike

It will be a great "skeleton" for my projects for now on.

Just by looking at it I can see the awesome themes that can come out of it :P

Also, since I really like the structure and the overall feel, I have an idea for creating a "single file theme" which will be basically one css file that will override global.css classes and the modules css files(by being last css file loaded).

It will be practical since the installation will be really easy, also it will be 100% compatible with everything since it will be the default theme with just new css.

The idea is to be free, and to be easy for all new prestashop users to style their shops in only one file.

What you think about that idea Mike ?

don't know about IE but on google chrome if you mouse over the cart (in the top bar) and then mouse off the cart sometimes it minimises and sometimes it stays enlarged, it will then sometimes try and minimise and then expand again. Even if you mouse over it again. also for the currency and language selection drop downs they option are far to dark, I can barley see them on my bright screen but they are invisible on my laptop screen. Apart from that looking good :)

I'm having an error show up on a brand new install of 1.4.5.1 and this theme: "Bad Configuration File"

Server information

Prestashop version: 1.4.5.1

Server information: Darwin Darwin Kernel Version 11.1.0: Tue Jul 26 16:07:11 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1699.22.81~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Server software version: Apache/2.2.17 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.17 OpenSSL/0.9.8r DAV/2 PHP/5.3.6

PHP version: 5.3.6

MySQL version: 5.5.9

don't know about IE but on google chrome if you mouse over the cart (in the top bar) and then mouse off the cart sometimes it minimises and sometimes it stays enlarged, it will then sometimes try and minimise and then expand again. Even if you mouse over it again. also for the currency and language selection drop downs they option are far to dark, I can barley see them on my bright screen but they are invisible on my laptop screen. Apart from that looking good :)

Hi hadlowj,

I'm running Google Chrome right now, would you mind posting your URL so that I can check this out for you?

-Mike

I'm having an error show up on a brand new install of 1.4.5.1 and this theme: "Bad Configuration File"

Server information

Prestashop version: 1.4.5.1

Server information: Darwin Darwin Kernel Version 11.1.0: Tue Jul 26 16:07:11 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1699.22.81~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Server software version: Apache/2.2.17 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.17 OpenSSL/0.9.8r DAV/2 PHP/5.3.6

PHP version: 5.3.6

MySQL version: 5.5.9

Hi k3ri,

What theme are you trying to install?

-Mike

Hi hadlow,

I'm testing this out now, and it appears that the cart minimizes only if you roll over the bottom after opening it, while rolling over the sides does nothing and it stays open. Can you confirm that this replicates the issue you're seeing before I talk to our development team?

-Mike

Mike:

It's the brand new theme for Prestashop 1.5, I should have put that in there, but seeing as this particular topic is dedicated to the new default theme, I sort of figured it would be assumed. :D

I did manage to install it the "old skool" way by manually moving the "prestashop_new" folder into /themes, and the contents of modules straight into their directory, and then going into the BO and selecting it there.

There's a few niggling problems that I'm seeing thus far with the FO, but since I haven't grok'd the code for them yet, I figured that I would do that first. Unless you'd like to open that can of worms now for others to fix?

Thanks!

Keri

Mike:

It's the brand new theme for Prestashop 1.5, I should have put that in there, but seeing as this particular topic is dedicated to the new default theme, I sort of figured it would be assumed. :D

I did manage to install it the "old skool" way by manually moving the "prestashop_new" folder into /themes, and the contents of modules straight into their directory, and then going into the BO and selecting it there.

There's a few niggling problems that I'm seeing thus far with the FO, but since I haven't grok'd the code for them yet, I figured that I would do that first. Unless you'd like to open that can of worms now for others to fix?

Thanks!

Keri

My mistake, I've been jumping between so many threads that sometimes I lose track of the original topic :unsure: . I'm glad you were able to get this up and running the "old school" way, and we're going to continue to work to improve this functionality and hopefully next time around you won't have this issue anymore.

I would suggest that you take your time to go through the code for yourself, and if you still have issues, please feel free to post them as new threads. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them.

-Mike

I am trying install the big footer of http://addons.presta...emplate-15.html with reinsurance, blocksharefb, blocksocial and blockcontactinfos module but in my original theme of Prestashop 1.4.5.1 don´t see any changes in the footer when I install it. (This don´t is problem of cache). Are these the modules for install the Big Footer?

best regards

Edit....

I add these modules to hook Footer but the colums are disordered and background colour darkgrey don´t is visible. Don´t is posible add backlinks in footer in more colums?

bigfoot.png

I found my error. I falsely removed the reinsurance block from the hook 'Header of pages'. Now the layout looks like the preview, but the color is not correct. Could someone tell me whats wrong? I've tested with IE, Safari and Firefox.

Hi herchri,

Can you please post your URL so that I can check this out for you?

-Mike

I found my error. I falsely removed the reinsurance block from the hook 'Header of pages'. Now the layout looks like the preview, but the color is not correct. Could someone tell me whats wrong? I've tested with IE, Safari and Firefox.

Hi herchri,

It took me longer than it should've due to some weary eyes, but after some careful inspection, it appears that you slightly changed the background color of the reinsurance block, and it now no longer matches the (previously hidden) borders that you are seeing. Did you make any edits to the file?

-Mike

Hi :)

I've installed the new theme on 2 shops and it's great. I have only 1 little problem(probably caused by me) and 1 question

In the first install everything showed up as it should, but on the second shop, the reinsurance block do not appear. Tried everything, reinstalling the module, resetting, repositioning, just about everything, and there is no sign of that module. And thats on a clean new install of prestashop, with clean install of the theme. Any ideas what could cause the module to not show up ???

Why the sidebar menu, doesn't dynamically drop down, but refreshes page to open the submenu ? (it is configured to be dynamic in the backoffice) (edit: it turns out that /img/icon/open-close.png is missing, Just checked out the theme archive, and it is missing there too. you have to add it.)

P.S jut found another issue.

The module Products Category which displays products from the same category, is not working properly. Displays all the products in a line, somehow the javascript is not working.

Note that all this is on a clean new installation, no modifications

Hi Mike.

http://3leva.com/pro...hp?id_product=1

here you can see how the Products Category module "brakes", and note that there is no block reinsurance, while it is hooked in the footer(on top position).

the menu is dynamically, only the image /img/icon/open-close.png is missing from the template.

I did some changes to the theme, but after I noticed the issues, so they are not related to them(I've only removed the right column and installed advanced top menu module )