Version 1.5 ? September is almost over...

Hello everyone,

I was wondering when the new 1.5 version will come out? I recall that presta team said something about september, but the month is almost over and there are no news.

Does somebody know something ? When we should expect it ?

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply, really valuable information.

But at least for me, that are bad news. I'm starting huge prestashop project, with fully customized theme, more than 10 additional modules and many custom features. If I do it in 1.4, I'll be ready right when 1.5 arrives, and with so much customization, it will be hell to upgrade the just finished project. (and probaly not everything will work)

Also I was hoping to use the grid960, the skeleton theme and the build-in jquerry library (all available in 1.5) for making the design.

Now I have either delay the project, or do a double work and rebuild it when 1.5 arrives..

Can we expect another alfa version sooner?

I think that if you release such alfa version, when the full version arrives, there will be plenty of themes and modules ready for it, and it will be actually usable. Otherwise we'll be stuck to 1.4 for couple of months just because everything is for 1.4(themes, modules etc. )

Also if you do so, I'll be able to build the project on the alfa then upgrade to the stable version. I'm sure that hundreds of people will do the same thing.

Hi Mike,

yes I've tested it in the moment it was released. But I was disappointed to see that there is no skeleton theme, or the other neat design features of 1.5. Or maybe I'm missing something ?

In the changelog it says only Project : new feature, multi-shop FO : add dispatcher.

I guess it will be best if I start the project on the current alfa and then upgrade it to the stable version when released. If there are some new features, I'll apply them then.

Absolutely, that is definitely the best strategy right now. In the meantime though, I will see if I can find out whether or not there will be another Alpha version before the full release, because I don't want to keep you waiting around for something that may not be released until the final version.

-Mike

Hi Snade,

I just spoke with our Dev team, and we will not be releasing another Alpha before we release 1.5 in November. So I would continue to develop using the 1.5 alpha available now and as we get closer to the official release date, keep an eye out for announcements about new features so you can be prepared for that day.

-Mike

The alpha is intended as a sneak peek for developers who want to get a head start on working on the newest version before its released, not as a testing ground. We have a core team of testers outside of the PrestaShop team who provide us with valuable feedback in advance of every release, so we are still testing every release well beyond any public alphas.

Hello,

the 1.5 version was moved in november in order to have the best version possible : there are a lot of new interesting features and refactoring, that we couldn't have if we had released in september. The 960grid system will be available, but we can't promise you that the skeleton theme will be present, because this is not a feature with high priority in the development schedule.

We will give an access soon to the svn test version of the 1.5, so you will be able to give us feedback and start to develop your modules ;)

Regards

the 1.5 version was moved in november in order to have the best version possible : there are a lot of new interesting features and refactoring, that we couldn't have if we had released in september.

As Wordpress founder Matt Mullenweg says: "the longer it’s been since your last release the more pressure and anticipation there is, so you’re more likely to try to slip in just one more thing or a fix that will make a feature really shine"

Seriously, though, while the OP did ask about September, I don't think any of us intended to rush things. I think September only came up because PS team had earlier mentioned it, thereby setting an expectation. I think it's only productive to set release date expectations when you are relatively close to the release, e.g. you expect to release in 4-6 weeks.

I even questioned if Nov-end is realistic considering that there are 30 open issues for 1.5 (not counting open issues for 1.4), of which only 1 is in progress and 24 haven't even been assigned yet!

Keep up the good work Raphaël and the whole PS team, and hopefully 1.5 will be the version where I completely move over to PS.

The 960grid system will be available, but we can't promise you that the skeleton theme will be present, because this is not a feature with high priority in the development schedule.

Ohh! That hurts! Skeleton theme (if I understand correctly then simply put, this will allow creation of custom themes merely with a custom CSS (and CSS sprites, I suppose) is absolutely essential...why is not high priority in development schedule?

We will give an access soon to the svn test version of the 1.5, so you will be able to give us feedback and start to develop your modules

I'm sure module and theme developers will appreciate that. Are you planning any Betas and RCs?

Ohh! That hurts! Skeleton theme (if I understand correctly then simply put, this will allow creation of custom themes merely with a custom CSS (and CSS sprites, I suppose) is absolutely essential...why is not high priority in development schedule?

Personally I agree with you, skeleton theme is a great feature that should be implemented in the 1.5. However we did poll with our partners agencies to know if the skeleton theme was a needed features, and most of the answers were "no". We will create a poll on Facebook in order to get community opinion too. I think we are all agree that the skeleton theme is a great idea, but there are a lot of others importants things to develop too, and the main of skeleton theme is the retrocompability.

I'm sure module and theme developers will appreciate that. Are you planning any Betas and RCs?

Of course, the version in november/end will be a RC version :)

Regards

Raphael, is there any place where we can find a list of features planned for 1.5 (and 1.6), hopefully linked to respective tickets? e.g. I couldn't find a ticket for skeleton theme in Jira, and have no idea what the 960 grid system is.

Also, have you seen this request? http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSFV-42

If implemented, I think this will pretty much wipe out theme issues....

Personally I agree with you, skeleton theme is a great feature that should be implemented in the 1.5. However we did poll with our partners agencies to know if the skeleton theme was a needed features, and most of the answers were "no". We will create a poll on Facebook in order to get community opinion too. I think we are all agree that the skeleton theme is a great idea, but there are a lot of others importants things to develop too, and the main of skeleton theme is the retrocompability.

Of course, the version in november/end will be a RC version :)

Regards

The agencies have resources and they dont need skeleton theme. But all the rest developers, freelancers and merchants who are using and are about to use prestashop need that. Actually if you make a skeleton theme and maybe another 2-3 alternative themes, prestashop will be really easy to customize so it can fit tight budgets and be friendly to the not so experienced developers. This will be huge advantage over magento for example.

This will lead to bigger community(from which we all profit), more themes, more modules, more sales for you.

Make prestashop easy to customize and it will become the wordpress(in matter of success) of the ecommerce platforms.

Looks like they are going to straight 1.5 to me hadlowj. Going to be great with the new mobileCommerce module they are currently working on. :)

Hoping the new 1.5 has the ability to have different product-list viewing.

I.E. : http://www.mrtuning....likonslangmuff/

Top right of the product-list where you have the ability to change from catalog, thumbnail, and list option.

Another implement that would be great if 1.5 have the ability to split the category tree.

Also, the ability to split feature values in the same feature category.

• I.E. 'Feature's Year: 2006, 2007, 2008'
    • To have these values to be Year: 2006, Year: 2007, instead of it being bunched into one. To have it them all split like attributes values.

Hello :)

Raphael, is there any place where we can find a list of features planned for 1.5 (and 1.6), hopefully linked to respective tickets? e.g. I couldn't find a ticket for skeleton theme in Jira, and have no idea what the 960 grid system is.

Also, have you seen this request? http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSFV-42

There is no official list of feature currently, but our community managers are working on it ;)

I checked your ticket, and this is a great idea that we already discussed inside the team. I think this will be implemented one day, but not for 1.5 version, we have no time to develop this feature.

Will there be any further versions of 1.4 before November or are you going straight over the 1.5?

Yes there will be other versions of 1.4, we are working on 1.4.5 version which will be released in few days.

@Snade : I will launch a topic with development team in order to know exactly what will be done about skeleton theme ;)

• Like 1

Also, have you seen this request? http://forge.prestas.../browse/PSFV-42

I checked your ticket, and this is a great idea that we already discussed inside the team. I think this will be implemented one day, but not for 1.5 version, we have no time to develop this feature.

I'm glad that you and the team like the idea. While current users may or may not fully appreciate its value immediately (they have already created themes, right?...so they'll realize the value mostly when upgrading), I believe this could really drive adoption for PS and help make it the WP of eCommerce software.

I understand it's impossible to do it for 1.5...with RC1 promised for Nov-end. But it would be greatly appreciated if this feature could be brought into the development process and assigned developers and target release (even the target is say 1.6 about 6 months after 1.5)...