how to activate email in prestashop localhost?

I am using Windows platform as development environment and installed WAMP, I am facing the same issue, I have tried use SendMail, it doesn't work either.

I also tried to customize SMTP server setting to use my Google gmail account. But I still can not make it work
(It is available at back office : Preference - EMail and select "Set my own SMTP parameters. For advanced users ONLY")
Even I changed setting to use gmail server, the error message still says "localhost".

Any advice is appreciated.

• 1 month later...
i have succeed test send email to SMTP server after configurring email at back office (preferennces-email)

but. i don't know to setting emael alert, please help?

I have done e-mail settings with gmail, it works as required.
Back Office >> Preferences >> Email
smtp.gmail.com

SMTP user: your user name for gmail ([email protected])
SMTP password: your password
Encryption: SSL
Port: 465

• 5 months later...

its not a prestashop issue, its an issue with your php configuration and likely your service provider. create a file called mailtest.php and put this code in it. place it in your root folder, and be sure to change "[email protected]" to your actual email address.

then open a browser and enter http://localhost/mailtest.php, and see if you get the email.

<?php
$to = '"To Display Name" ';
$subject = 'PHP mail test';
$message = 'This message was sent via PHP!' . PHP_EOL .
          'It should work ... and it does.' . PHP_EOL . PHP_EOL .
          'From Display Name' . PHP_EOL;
$headers = 'From: "From Display Name" ' . PHP_EOL .
          'Cc: "CC Display Name" ' . PHP_EOL .
          'X-Mailer: PHP-' . phpversion() . PHP_EOL;
if (mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers)) {
 echo 'mail() Success!' . "
\n";
}
else {
 echo 'mail() Failure!' . "
\n";
}
?>

• 2 years later...

I tried the SMTP configuration as smyp.gmail.com with my mail and password but i got this error

but its working fine in web server.

Error: please check your configuration

The SMTP connection failed to start [ssl://smtp.gmail.com:465]: fsockopen returned Error Number 186028524 and Error String 'Unable to find the socket transport "ssl" - did you forget to enable it when you configured PHP?

but you hae to know that many providers will block mails from your computer.

But you can send mails to @localhost domain - it mean that you can create own mailbox and then you will be able to test mail features

• 9 months later...

Hi i have a similar problem. Nowadays I am developing in localhost, and mails are not working. Not only mail alerts but also when I try to send a test email from backoffice I cant get it. I am using a gmail account, but later on may use @mydomain.com account. what would you reccommend me to do? Is it possible to get mail in localhost in order to test the funcionality of it? Thanks very much for your help

You need to use your ISP email settings. For example I use eastlink, so in microsoft outlook I need to use thier smtp.eastlink.ca, and if I setup a script I need to use thier smtp.eastlink.ca. 

This is because your ISP blocks port 25 the default outgoing mail port, (smtp). They do this to control spam. When you use gmail in your browser, the mail is actually being sent at Google's server. But you can only access gmail via your browser, or if you have a paid account they will let you connect via a none standard port that your ISP doesn't have blocked.

Point is, find out your ISP smtp server, they have that info on their web site. Enter that for your email settings on all local programs.

ISP = Internet service provider, that would in most cases be your cable or phone company. They block port 25 and to use local mail you need to use their smtp server. You would enter the smtp server name into Prestashop Advanced Parameters >  E-mail

With smtp, you usually only need to enter the server name in the smtp box. You seldom need the user name or password.

Who are you getting your internet from?

Edited by Bill Dalton (see edit history)

• 6 months later...

Hi mates,

I have tried the solution described on https://www.prestasoo.com/Blog/prestashop-smtp-settings-so-easy.html posted by DeJour on the thread http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/337873-smtp-email-not-working-ps-1606/

but got the following errors using the email test function:

Using TLS:
The SMTP connection did not allow the command 'EHLO [127.0.0.1]' to be sent. (fsockopen: #0)

Using SSL:
Authentication failed using username '[email protected]' and password '********'

using non encryption:
Authentication failed using username '[email protected]' and password '********'

I am testing under localhost with last easyphp package, everything is settled as described on the blog.

Is it possible to use email functions under localhost?
Any ideas are highly appreciated.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...