Upgrading step by step !!!

Congratulations to the Prestashop Development team & the rest of members here helping to resolve many bugs.

I have a few tips for people upgrading below
I realise that most of this may be in the WIKI but not everyone looks at this.

UPGRADING STEP BY STEP!

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP! just in case :lol:

PART 1
1) Download the latest Prestashop 1 Final here Lastest PrestaShop version
2) Create a new folder ie call this. "prestshop1"
3) upload the contents of the new v1 final zip to the folder above
5) upload from BK or move from current location both your theme directory & img directory.
if modifications have been made to any modules please move this in to the new location renaming the current folder to bk-img etc.
6) set your permissions recursively to all directories except CONFIG / TOOLS
7) set permissions to config 777 & /tools/smarty/compile (Not recursively)

PART 2
Before running the updater you need to do the following
1) Upload your settings.inc.php from your BK then CHMOD 777
2) you may nee to CHMOD 777 to logo.jpg located in your img directory unless this has already been done
3) Run the updater ;-)

SUCCESS PRESTASHOP v1 FINAL IS NOW INSTALLED

PART 2 (Optional) - If you wish to use the same directory used on your last install follow these steps!
1) Rename the old directory to RC5 or what ever your previous version is so you don't get them mixed up
2) Now rename Prestashop1 back to your previous directory

If you rename your new directory make sure your define the new directory here in settings.inc.php
define('__PS_BASE_URI__', '/prestashop1/');

A note to the developers __PS_BASE_URI__ needs to be automatically updated on install!

FOUND A SMALL BUG IN THE UPDATER
for those of you who after updating can't login here's the quick fix!

Request a password as this will generate a new password based on your new _COOKIE_KEY_

if you don't receive an email with this new password you need to manually update _COOKIE_KEY_ & COOKIE_IV with your old value from your previous backup you will find in your settings.inc.php

hope that helps ;-)
And if all else fails more info below in the WIKI!

Wiki update instructions "here":/wiki/Getting_Started/#Update_PrestaShop

• Like 1

I followed the upgrade instructions, and ended up with two installs---one of RC5, and one of 1.0, in different folders.

I had perfect results by backing up RC5, then deleting the whole site (minus the database), and uploading 1.0. Then I copied over my old settings.config, img directory, and theme.

The instructions say to create a new folder, and upload the contents of the zip file into it---and the zip file contains the installer. I followed the posted instructions to the letter, and they gave me two installs---one in my original folder, of RC5, and one in the new folder I created, of 1.0.

Sorry you are correct, after reading this again you said you have to installers but in separate folders.
this is fine you just have RC5 as a BK just in case. Sorry I misunderstood you first time :red:

Do you have any problems with the install ?
If you or anyone else trying to upgrade does have issues then please drop me a PM with the access details & I would be happy to look as long as you describe your problem first here %-P

I've just tried updating from RC5 to 1.0, uploaded everything, copied what needed to be copied to the new directory, ran the install, and the option for upgrading was grayed out: "Update: Get the latest stable version (no old version detected)". Trying to go through the normal install (without installing any products) wanted me to create a new database as one already existed with the default name. Any ideas where I might have gone wrong?

Waaa - something's gone wrong with some .htaccess rewrite rules somewhere when I've upgraded.

My site runs WordPress for most of it, and I've only installed PrestaShop in a directory '/shop/' - before I upgraded, WordPress (running in maintenance mode - which basically turns off the site) was working OK with PrestaShop, but now I can get to '/shop/' and view the page, but when I try to get into a category, I get shunted back to the WordPress maintenance mode page, like it thinks '/shop/' is part of WordPress and should be denied access.

Turning off maintenance mode and trying to click into a category just points me to a WordPress error page, like it can't find a page in WordPress that it's expecting...

Any tips on what I might have done wrong, or how I can get it back to where it was? I've still got backups of everything from RC5...

Thanks,

Waaa - something's gone wrong with some .htaccess rewrite rules somewhere when I've upgraded.

My site runs WordPress for most of it, and I've only installed PrestaShop in a directory '/shop/' - before I upgraded, WordPress (running in maintenance mode - which basically turns off the site) was working OK with PrestaShop, but now I can get to '/shop/' and view the page, but when I try to get into a category, I get shunted back to the WordPress maintenance mode page, like it thinks '/shop/' is part of WordPress and should be denied access.

Turning off maintenance mode and trying to click into a category just points me to a WordPress error page, like it can't find a page in WordPress that it's expecting...

Any tips on what I might have done wrong, or how I can get it back to where it was? I've still got backups of everything from RC5...

Nevermind - the htaccess file in 1.0 is called htaccess.txt - renaming it to .htacess fixed the problem. :D

Here's a long shot but what I think the password fucntion does it check against your cookie key which seems to get updated when upgrading :wow:
if you remember your old MD5 password enter this back in, try to locate your last backup before v1 as this may be changing your Cookie Key.
If the 2 are the same then thats my theory out of the window %-P

settings.ini.php
define('_COOKIE_KEY_;

I did a upgrade, everything worked, except one small issue.
I had my own language translation (swedish) and the flag for my language got replaced with thailands (I think it was thailand). Anyhow, that was easy to fix. I just renamed the flag files in the image folder, since I am not using thai language :)

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody!

I did a upgrade, everything worked, except one small issue.
I had my own language translation (swedish) and the flag for my language got replaced with thailands (I think it was thailand). Anyhow, that was easy to fix. I just renamed the flag files in the image folder, since I am not using thai language :)

That issue has been fixed for the next release ;-)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Congratulations everyone for the release of the new presrashop which we all have been waiting for!

I am wondering too >>

what about installing new version as a fresh install and then replace changed files and folders

and then import CSV and Lang ??

will that work?? can I export products, categories, etc and then import them to the new version along with the language CSV ???

Hi there,

Have followed all steps for 1.1 upgrade: moved IMG folder to installation folder and after installation more than 50% pictures disappear (not showing on front page). Have tried to regenerate thumbnails, and getting this:

3 errors
Cannot write no-picture image into the scenes images folder.
Please check its writing permissions.
Cannot write no-picture image to the product images folder. Please check the folder's writing permissions.
An error occurred while thumbnails' regeneration.

Have changed permissions to 777 in all IMG folders still the same, but in Catalog i can remove old pictures and replace with new ones without any 'writing permission problems'. Do I have to spent whole day replacing pictures or we can get some simple solution?

Also in Information box i have links:

* Delivery
* Legal Notice
* Terms and conditions of use
* About us

and if I press on any of these links I get no info at all just blank pages (info exists - able to see info in front office translation)

Thank you for your time.

Iver tried upgrading to the new version but i get 4 SQL errors :(

Is anyone else getting errors ?

Its on a shop at Servage.

One of the errors i get is this

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'DROP TABLE IF EXISTS ps_gender DROP TABLE IF EXISTS ps_search ALTER TABLE ' at line 3

Iver tried upgrading to the new version but i get 4 SQL errors :(

Is anyone else getting errors ?

Its on a shop at Servage.

One of the errors i get is this

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'DROP TABLE IF EXISTS ps_gender DROP TABLE IF EXISTS ps_search ALTER TABLE ' at line 3

This topic is about the release, not for asking support questions.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hello,

I have installed the new version 1.1, works perfectly but facing one issue that the customers which import from the old version 1..0.8 are unable to login to the new version, if i update their password from the admin panel., then they can login otherwise not, so it means for all customers need to reset their password, but i dont want this because there are around 500 customers and i dont know their password, and i dont want to reset their password to general password.

Can any one please help me out.

Thanks
Faisal Zafar

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have got the question, does importing theme and img folder and then exporting to newer version, are they both compatible? If so, what versions are compatible and what are not?

For example:

Version 1.0 is able to accept theme of previous versions
Version 1.1 is able to accept theme of Version 1.0 but not earlier versions
Version 1.1 is able to accept theme of Version 1.0 and earlier versions too
Version 1.2 is able to accept theme of Version 1.1 but not earlier
Version 1.2 is able to accept theme of Version 1.1 and earlier versions too

and so on...

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm upgrading to the new version of Prestashop, and have followed all the steps successfully so far, but now I'm at this part and don't understand what it means:

6) set your permissions recursively to all directories except CONFIG / TOOLS
7) set permissions to config 777 & /tools/smarty/compile (Not recursively)

PART 2
Before running the updater you need to do the following
1) Upload your settings.inc.php from your BK then CHMOD 777

Can someone please explain more thoroughly what I need to do to accomplish these steps?

Thanks!

Recursively means you put permissions to current folder and all folders and files inside the folder too. Non recursive means you change permissions of current folder only but do not do any changes to files and folders inside current folder.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,
I wanted to post this as several important steps are missing from the Prestashop Upgrade wiki instructions.

HOW TO UPDATE PRESTASHOP
First off, as stated in the Wiki instructions, it is 100% mission critical that you backup 1) Your Database, and 2) your entire shop to your computer.

1.) To backup the database, click on the TOOLS tab, then DATABASE BACKUP. Click on “+ CREATE NEW BACK-UP” then click on “DOWNLOAD THE BACKUP FILE” – save to your computer.
2.) Backup your full shop by either downloading it via FTP or use another method. Also be sure to download it to your computer.

Using an FTP program, RENAME your existing shop folder to a new folder (ex. Rename /shop to /shopOLD
This is also clearly stated in the Prestashop install and upgrade wiki.
One recommendation not in the WIKI- when you copy parts of your old shop to the new install, copy the files from the backup on YOUR COMPUTER - do not copy the files on the backup directory on your server. Why? Because many FTP programs do not truly offer a copy feature - they can only move the files. DO NOT RISK THIS. Always copy from your computer backup!

Now that you know this, follow the full set of upgrade instructions listed on the wiki:
http://www.prestashop.com/wiki/Installing_And_Updating_PrestaShop_Software/

The wiki leaves off at the Install process…and where this will continue…

On the first Installation screen where it asks you if you want to perform a full installation or an update installation, choose UPDATE (disregard “Get the latest stable version” – no re-download will occur).
Note: If the Update option is greyed out or unavailable , you will need to re-upload your old “settings.inc.php” file from your backups /config directory and overwrite the new version on your server – then re-install – it should now be available.
You will need to Certify that you have everything backed up- click NEXT on the permissions screen.

NOTE TO SAVE TIME AND TROUBLE : Do NOT perform the FULL installation, then try to connect with your database - when you move up to a newer version your database must be CONVERTED - and that is exactly what the UPDATE process does! :-)

You are done with the basic upgrade!

Back Office: Do the icons display correctly on the tabs? If not, you will need to re-upload the icons from your new version of Prestashop found in /img/t into the same folder of your new updated online version.

Does your theme display ok? If not it is likely that you have modified files from the root directory such as header.tpl or footer.tpl. This will most likely break your theme with a new version of Prestashop.
Experiment by creating a new folder called TEST in your online THEMES folder, and copy your existing theme to it. Upload files from the default template in the new version (from your hard drive) Begin with header.tpl, then footer.tpl and overwrite their counterparts in the new folder you just created.
In the PREFERENCES tab, select TEST as your theme and then view it in your Front Office. Does it display properly? If yes, then you have found the culprit files. You will need to re-modify the new versions of the files. If the shop does not display properly, continue to copy more files from the default shop to the TEST directory until you find which file(s) are causing the issue.

Hope this helps all to upgrade much easier in this community!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My prestashop files are corrupted in places (modules tab gone, order page doesn't load, translations tab doesn't respond, etc)

I need to do a clean install of my version 1.1 and am going to do it on a new server but i want to keep my database - which i have backed up from the old server. I see bits and pieces on the forum on how to do this, but not a clear step by step procedure. Can anyone help?

Do i treat it as a new install on the new server (in order to deal with the corrupt files), by creating the database, uploading my back up database and then install clean version and link the two or do i treat is as an upgrade?

I have backed up my translations also.

i realize a clean install will mean i lose some info, like modules, etc thats ok as long as my database is in tact and the installation error free. How should i proceed?

IF YOUR SHOP IS CORRUPT - HOW TO RE-INSTALL SAME VERSION TO RESTORE YOUR SHOP

BEFORE YOU BEGIN : Backup onto your computer your database and your full shop (even if it is corrupted)

The trick to restoring an installation successfully is by following 2 major things:

1. Rename your existing database on your server to something else like "mydatabaseBACKUP". Then create a new Database with the exact same name as what the old one was (it should be empty).

Then proceed with the software install. Follow my steps from the previous post and treat is as an Upgrade. The only difference would be to select NEW INSTALL instead of UPDATE

2. When you are filling out the tabs on that page that asks you for the name of your shop, your name, email, and password USE THE SAME EXACT INFORMATION AS YOU USED ORIGINALLY.

After the install is complete, rename the now full of default information database you made in step one to "mydatabaseDEFAULT", and then rename your old original database to whatever it was originally.

Try to access your back office. Many times the password will not work - especially if your information from Step #2 was not exactly the same as it was originally. You can search the forums for how to fix your signin to what it was (you will need your backup for this!) Good luck !

• 2 weeks later...

1. Rename your existing database on your server to something else like "mydatabaseBACKUP". Then create a new Database with the exact same name as what the old one was (it should be empty).

Then proceed with the software install. Follow my steps from the previous post and treat is as an Upgrade. The only difference would be to select NEW INSTALL instead of UPDATE

2. When you are filling out the tabs on that page that asks you for the name of your shop, your name, email, and password USE THE SAME EXACT INFORMATION AS YOU USED ORIGINALLY.

After the install is complete, rename the now full of default information database you made in step one to "mydatabaseDEFAULT", and then rename your old original database to whatever it was originally.

Hello!

Following the steps by diamond204, and after rename the new base to "mydatabaseDEFAULT"... I should modify too the database name on new installed version [TAB > Preferences > Database] to "mydatabaseDEFAULT" ... shouldn't I?

Perhaps it's obvious... or perhaps stupid... but I wouldn't like to crunch "mydatabaseORIGINAL" testing the new 1.2 beta.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards.

Diego.

http://www.turquesa-online.com

Hi Diego,
Notice that the text you are following is from post #51, which is addressing how to fix a corrupted installation (not install a updated version of Prestashop).

I will also assume that you are upgrading a non-live shop (or a shop that will be in maintenance mode)
So to answer your question, the most important thing is to create a backup of your non-updated database (and download it) before you do any updating. You also want to back up your entire shop pre-upgrade. As long as you have the backups kept safe, you can safely update your original database (not the backup of course). I know I sound like a broken record (or CD) but I can't stress this enough to all.

If you are updating, follow the instructions on post #49 only. Hopefully it should work like a charm!

How to restore an old installation if the new one does not work:
1. Rename the new shop directory to something like "shopNEWBAD" , rename your old shop that you renamed back to the original directory name (in my example it is "shop")

2. Using your server utility backend, rename the existing database from the test on your server to something else like “mydatabaseNEWBAD”. Then create a new database that has the same name as your original shop database (it should be blank and 0 length).

3. Utilize your server backend database import utility to import your backup database (should be on your computer) data into the new blank database you just created.

Your shop should be 100% restored to the state it was in before your test!

Hi Diamond204:

First of all, thank you very much for your great "step by step" instructions. I really think they will be very helpfull for me and community.

I will also assume that you are upgrading a non-live shop (or a shop that will be in maintenance mode)

You are right! What I actually want is to install the new version 1.2 in a hidden directory and test several themes to see if they run properly. And all over, I'd like to test a module to "massive update" product data. That is becouse will be important for me to run the test with an exact copy of my actual database. However, meanwhile I test all (will be several days), I want to leave the original shop running.

I tried the same during last upgrade to version 1. Then I created a copy of entire store in a different directory, and also created a copy of DataBase with export and import utilities with MySQL. Nevertheless, when I upgraded the prestashop software, it automatically conected with the "Original_Base" instead of the "COPY_Base". Perhaps, becouse config.php settings,...

So... what do you think would be the best way to do the this test? I mean, to have two stores running at the same time with two different databases, where a database is an exact copy of the first one, when it needs to be converted previosuly to the new version of prestashop.

Thanks again for your help.

Diego.

Thanks - I made so many mistakes and screwed things up so I documented everything after I found out how to do it - hopefully it will save people from alot of painful mistakes!

As far as testing , I have not done 2 separate installs myself yet. It seems possible, although may be difficult, and perhaps even dangerous as it may interfere with the live "current" shop.

Most people are testing with XAMPP :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/

There may be posts out there on how to do this but I have not looked yet. I will be trying it at some point soon, and will document it for all!

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished my update and everything went ok.
I just have one issue, all my products description are missing:/ how can I get them back?? Or do I have to go through them once again and insert them manualy?
Any help appreciated.

When you say

IF YOUR SHOP IS CORRUPT

Are you referring to the shop files/config or the database?

I've been told that my database is corrupt though my shop is working fine.
I’ve made numerous attempts to update following the wiki, the sticky, and a few other well regarded posts.
When I log into my newly updated back office it still reads Version 1.2.0.5 – 0.129s

Here is the error I'm getting, would your method fix my situation?

---

Congratulations!
Update is finished.

Unfortunately, 4 SQL errors have occurred.

View the log:

_________________________________________________________________________________________

SET NAMES ‘utf8’

/* ##################################### / / STRUCTURE / / ##################################### */ ALTER TABLE `ps_customization` ADD `quantity_refunded` INT NOT NULL DEFAULT ‘0’

(1060) Duplicate column name ‘quantity_refunded’
ALTER TABLE `ps_customization` ADD `quantity_returned` INT NOT NULL DEFAULT ‘0’

(1060) Duplicate column name ‘quantity_returned’
ALTER TABLE `ps_alias` CHANGE `id_alias` `id_alias` INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT

ALTER TABLE `ps_attribute_impact` CHANGE `id_attribute_impact` `id_attribute_impact` INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT

ALTER TABLE `ps_customization` CHANGE `id_customization` `id_customization` INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT

ALTER TABLE `ps_customization_field` CHANGE `id_customization_field` `id_customization_field` INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT

ALTER TABLE `ps_subdomain` CHANGE `id_subdomain` `id_subdomain` INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT

/* ##################################### / / CONTENTS / / ##################################### */ INSERT INTO ps_hook (`name`, `title`, `description`, `position`) VALUES (‘postUpdateOrderStatus’, ‘Post update of order status’, NULL, 0)

(1062) Duplicate entry ‘postUpdateOrderStatus’ for key 2
INSERT INTO `ps_search_engine` (`server`,`getvar`) VALUES (‘bing.com’,‘q’)

INSERT INTO `ps_hook_module` (`id_module`, `id_hook`, `position`) VALUES (19, 9, 1)

(1062) Duplicate entry ’19-9’ for key 1
/* PHP:decode_content(); */

SET NAMES ‘utf8’

/* ##################################### / / STRUCTURE / / ##################################### / / ##################################### / / CONTENTS / / ##################################### / / PHP:decode_content(); */

SET NAMES ‘utf8’

/* ##################################### / / STRUCTURE / / ##################################### / / ##################################### / / CONTENTS / / ##################################### */ UPDATE `ps_order_state_lang` SET `name` = ‘Shipped’ WHERE `id_order_state` = 4 AND `id_lang` = 1

UPDATE `ps_order_state_lang` SET `template` = ‘shipped’ WHERE `id_order_state` = 4 AND `template` = ‘shipping’

/* PHP:reorderpositions(); */

Hi all,

I would like to upgrade from v1.1 to v1.2.
Instructions say: "rename your shop directory to 'prestaOLD'..... copy new version to 'prestaNEW' and install..."

The thing is my prestashop is in root directory 'www.myshop.com' not in 'www.myshop.com/prestashop'

How can I upgrade in this case?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

cloudseat - When I mention "Shop is Corrupt" I was thinking that something with the new software is broken with your shop making it unusable for you. Database corruption is different and unfortunately (or fortunately) one I do not have experience in yet.
One thing I can recommend is always keeping your stock items in a spreadsheet so you can delete your items and then reimport - by doing so you my fix the corruption. Even if it does not fix it, it is probably a good practice anyway. Wish I could be of more assistance

Anyone have any ideas?

torchia- You will need to manually copy your Prestashop root files and Folders over to the "prestaOLD" directory - for which files to copy, just look at what files are in the root of the new version - leave the remaining files there.

I have finished my update and everything went ok.
I just have one issue, all my products description are missing:/ how can I get them back?? Or do I have to go through them once again and insert them manualy?
Any help appreciated.

I have the exact same problem. Using default theme as well. pics showed up, products all came over. no descriptions.

I went in and looked at the database and none of the descriptions were transferred for some reason.

I thought "Good thing I made a backup of the database before I upgraded!"... Well, it turns out that everything BUT the product descriptions were on the db backup! What-the-hell?? So now I am going through the painstaking and slow process of pulling up Google cached pages of all of my products, one at a time, and swiping the descriptions and posting them manually. What a PITA! I don't know what the deal is but the descriptions WERE there before the upgrade. I followed instructions precisely. Descriptions have vanished.

Bug is reported.

Hi all,

I would like to upgrade from v1.1 to v1.2.
Instructions say: "rename your shop directory to 'prestaOLD'..... copy new version to 'prestaNEW' and install..."

The thing is my prestashop is in root directory 'www.myshop.com' not in 'www.myshop.com/prestashop'

How can I upgrade in this case?

Thank you in advance.

please answer this

• 2 weeks later...

I get the same problem as cloudseat. I have been trying to upgrade since v 1.2.2 came out with no luck. I am just about giving up on upgrading to version 1.2.2

Has anyone else have the same issue as cloudseat and if so how did you fix the problem?

can anyone tell me how to restrore my e-mail and password to the database for login. If possible please brief me in detailed, since i'm not good in this. Attached the table for ps_emplpyee

define('_COOKIE_KEY_', 'UANZYYYb6f3a3bFtkrsZ9u9wQZcEmqKkbsN3xbsZEFajGgMp8sPYpu1D');
define('_COOKIE_IV_', 'DPKkQRtb');

Thanks
Zimy

11301_g3RGe8rDfzv3Tf0SkUVD_t

I upgrade from 1.0.0.8 to 1.2.2.0 and I have SQL error

INSERT INTO ps_hook (`name`, `title`, `description`, `position`) VALUES ('postUpdateOrderStatus', 'Post update of order status', NULL, 0)

(1062) Duplicate entry 'postUpdateOrderStatus' for key 2

And when I want to see pdf for order a see error Hack attempt

To anyone who failed in upgrading using prestashop upgrade feature, you need to do manual upgrade...
It will be slow and a painful one, but it work.

Look into your newest version of prestashop which you are going to use.
There is a install directory, open it, go into sql directory inside it.
Open that too. Inside it, a directory called upgrade. Open it.

Here is the list of sql upgrade needed to make your database compatible with newest version of prestashop.
Open your sql manager ( or whatever your database manager is ).
Select your database.
Go to its sql manager or whatever tool used to run sql script. ( phpmyadmin user will be using sql tab )

Open each sql file ( inside upgrade directory ) in correct sequence ( ascending style ), starting from 1 version newer from your old prestashop installation. I suggest to use wordpad when opening these sql files.
Example : your current 1.0.0.8, then you will star at 1.0.0.9 ( 1.0.0.9 does not exist, so you can start with 1.1.0.1 )

Inside each sql file is a list of sql script, copy paste the entire wall of text into your sql manager and run it.

Do it one by one until you get to your desired version. If you want 1.2.2.0 than run file 1.2.2.0.sql as the last one starting in correct sequence from 1.1.0.1.

After that, just use you new prestahop program without need to run its updater. ( don't forget with product image, your themes, your modules, and file setting.inc.php )

Hope it helps. Sorry for my broken English.

I done this with 1.1.0.5 to 1.2.1.0.
I didn't have difficulty from 1.1.0.5 straight to 1.2.2.0 using prestashop own upgrade feature.
But 1.1.0.5 will result in error when straight to 1.2.3.0.
I didn't get any error from 1.2.2.0 to 1.2.3.0 using prestashop own upgrade feature.

• Like 1

Hello,

I have tried to upgrade from 1.0.0.8 to 1.2.3.0 but this fails, i get errors like:

ERROR 1146 (42S02) at line 9: Table 'prestashop.PREFIX_cart' doesn't exist

am i suppose to set PREFIX in my environment settings or do i have to manually change these on the upgrade files?
any advise much appreciated

Oh yeah, forgot about that part. >_< big apologize for everyone....
Look into your setting.inc.php.

There is a line which define your prefix.
define('_DB_PREFIX_', '');
Replace all PREFIX word with whatever your prefix.

For example if your line written like this :
define('_DB_PREFIX_', 'mystore');

Then your prefix is mystore. Just replace the word PREFIX with that one...

To anyone who failed in upgrading using prestashop upgrade feature, you need to do manual upgrade...
It will be slow and a painful one, but it work.

Look into your newest version of prestashop which you are going to use.
There is a install directory, open it, go into sql directory inside it.
Open that too. Inside it, a directory called upgrade. Open it.

Here is the list of sql upgrade needed to make your database compatible with newest version of prestashop.
Open your sql manager ( or whatever your database manager is ).
Select your database.
Go to its sql manager or whatever tool used to run sql script. ( phpmyadmin user will be using sql tab )

Open each sql file ( inside upgrade directory ) in correct sequence ( ascending style ), starting from 1 version newer from your old prestashop installation. I suggest to use wordpad when opening these sql files.
Example : your current 1.0.0.8, then you will star at 1.0.0.9 ( 1.0.0.9 does not exist, so you can start with 1.1.0.1 )

Inside each sql file is a list of sql script, copy paste the entire wall of text into your sql manager and run it.

Do it one by one until you get to your desired version. If you want 1.2.2.0 than run file 1.2.2.0.sql as the last one starting in correct sequence from 1.1.0.1.

After that, just use you new prestahop program without need to run its updater. ( don't forget with product image, your themes, your modules, and file setting.inc.php )

Hope it helps. Sorry for my broken English.

I done this with 1.1.0.5 to 1.2.1.0.
I didn't have difficulty from 1.1.0.5 straight to 1.2.2.0 using prestashop own upgrade feature.
But 1.1.0.5 will result in error when straight to 1.2.3.0.
I didn't get any error from 1.2.2.0 to 1.2.3.0 using prestashop own upgrade feature.

Yes, manually i do upgrade but now when i want to see some invoice in pdf a have error hack attempt

i did it manually from the terminal.

on gentoo:

1) backup mysql database of old shop. i was using version 1.0.0.8

2) in my /var/www/prestashop/htdocs, i have

$ tree -L 1
tree -L 1 htdocs/htdocs/
`-- 1.2.3

3) i made the upgrade to 1.2.0.7 as for some reason, the direct root to 1.2.3 did not work.

here is my procedure:

1) cd 1.2.0.7/install/sql/upgrade

a) create new database to use, so that you don't mess up your original version.
i'll call it prestashop_db

$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < backup_db.sql

B) then run each individually, as follows:

$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.1.0.1.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.1.0.2.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.1.0.3.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.1.0.4.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.1.0.5.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.2.0.1.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.2.0.2.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.2.0.3.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.2.0.4.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.2.0.5.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.2.0.6.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.2.0.7.sql

c) copy your /img directory as this contains all the product images
$ cp -rp ../1.2.0.7/img/* img/

d) this will copy any translations you have made to the home page
$ cp -p ../1.0.0.8/modules/editorial/editorial.xml modules/editorial/

e) copy your shop logo
$ cp -p ../1.0.0.8/modules/editorial/homepage_logo.jpg modules/editorial/

f) copy settings.conf.php
$ cp -p ../1.0.0.8/config/settings.inc.php config/

g) change these so that it reflects the new shop instance
$ vim config/settings.inc.php

make sure you change both:

define('_DB_NAME_', 'prestashop_db');
define('_PS_VERSION_', '1.2.0.7');

h) finally remove, insall directory and change the name of your admin directory

$ rm -rf install
$ mv admin secret-admin

if you're using apache, then modify the vhost entry for the host and point it to the correct Document root, i.e. in my case

/var/www/prestashop/htdocs/1.2.0.7

i) restart apache

$ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

now you should have version 1.2.07 upgraded from 1.0.0.8, all orders and customers.

note, you need to install any custom modules, once you check all data has been transferred.

now you can upgrade to 1.2.3, but this time you can use the prestashop installer, as this worked for me.

hope this helps.

norman

i did it manually from the terminal.

on gentoo:

1) backup mysql database of old shop. i was using version 1.0.0.8

2) in my /var/www/prestashop/htdocs, i have

$ tree -L 1
tree -L 1 htdocs/htdocs/
`-- 1.2.3

3) i made the upgrade to 1.2.0.7 as for some reason, the direct root to 1.2.3 did not work.

here is my procedure:

1) cd 1.2.0.7/install/sql/upgrade

a) create new database to use, so that you don't mess up your original version.
i'll call it prestashop_db

$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < backup_db.sql

B) then run each individually, as follows:

$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.1.0.1.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.1.0.2.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.1.0.3.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.1.0.4.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.1.0.5.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.2.0.2.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.2.0.3.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.2.0.4.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.2.0.5.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.2.0.6.sql
$ mysql -u user -p prestashop_db < 1.2.0.7.sql

c) copy your /img directory as this contains all the product images
$ cp -rp ../1.2.0.7/img/* img/

d) this will copy any translations you have made to the home page
$ cp -p ../1.0.0.8/modules/editorial/editorial.xml modules/editorial/

e) copy your shop logo
$ cp -p ../1.0.0.8/modules/editorial/homepage_logo.jpg modules/editorial/

f) copy settings.conf.php
$ cp -p ../1.0.0.8/config/settings.inc.php config/

g) change these so that it reflects the new shop instance
$ vim config/settings.inc.php

make sure you change both:

define('_DB_NAME_', 'prestashop_db');
define('_PS_VERSION_', '1.2.0.7');

h) finally remove, insall directory and change the name of your admin directory

$ rm -rf install
$ mv admin secret-admin

if you're using apache, then modify the vhost entry for the host and point it to the correct Document root, i.e. in my case

/var/www/prestashop/htdocs/1.2.0.7

i) restart apache

$ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

now you should have version 1.2.07 upgraded from 1.0.0.8, all orders and customers.

note, you need to install any custom modules, once you check all data has been transferred.

now you can upgrade to 1.2.3, but this time you can use the prestashop installer, as this worked for me.

hope this helps.

norman

when where you downloading version 1.2.0.7 ?

• 2 weeks later...

What a horror show trying to upgrade V 1.0.1.5 to latest version. No program should be this difficult to upgrade. I have never seen so many people like myself with so many issues during the upgrade process. I have been trying for more than a month and a half to get the upgrade installed correctly.
Prestashop is a great ecommerce solution if freshly installed, no complains here, but upgrading it to a newer version is a complete disaster.
I know Prestashop is free and it's an awesome eCommerce cart and it goes with the territory but come on!

Thank you Prestashop team for all you have done and I applaud you all and all the fine contributors who continuously add to making prestashop even better, but are you guys working on a much simpler solution for upgrades?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to be sure.

What you need to do is make a backup and restore this on a local or differend server to perform a test migration before doing this on you live shop.

Important, before you start:

1. Make sure you disable Friendly urls and third-party modules.
2. Switch over to the original/default theme that comes with your version of PS.
3. Copy, just before the actual update, an empty .htaccess in the root of your site.

Upgrade from 1.1.0.5 (is this 1.1 Final?) to 1.2.4.0 Final in one go (do not (ever) use the beta releases).

You can find all versions: here.

How to upgrade your shop can be read: here.

• 3 weeks later...

I found them.

You need this file from this post

and then you need to do this from this from This post

Once I found these files the upgrade was infact very quick and very painless.

Prestashop creators please consider having two types of downloads, one full version and one upgrade version which only has the necessary files we need to change.

I haven't been here long but I've noticed a mad rush on, How do I upload new version easily and which files do I need, type questions every time there has been any sort of update!

Labs, you´re the woman! Thanks a lot ... Why a "Beginner" have to figure it out and not the developing team? ;-)

:-)

Yes it's a bit of a surprise that they don't have two download options.
Hopefully in the future we'll see more practical download versions for current users on the download page.

Labs, you´re the woman!! .... even a little changelog to inform wich files are changed would be enough.

But we'd still have to download the whole program, sort through the folders to find each individual changed file.
Much easier if creators just create a smaller downloadable zip file with all necessary changed files and any special instructions in it.