Does Prestashop have a future?

Rizzzle

Hello,

1.6 is a great product. However it is becoming a little dated.

Do we think Prestashop has a future considering the following three factors:

- Rise of Shopify.

- The disaster that 1.7 is. It's quite clearly had a low uptake if we look at the board and sales figures for the themes in the marketplaces.

- For a tech guy, it is now as easy to install and learn Magento 2. This is where Prestashop used to have the upper hand.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

I partially agree. 

I believe 1.7 is a mistake. It adds nothing in functionality and even subtracts a bit. Only in 1.7.3 they now plan to add something new. It makes some things easier to develop. But the price is a lot of extra complexity that makes other things more difficult. They shot themselves in the feet with that: 1.7 chased the people away who liked the approachability of the code and the ease with which you could make changes. But it was too bad to attract the more technical people who for example might choose Magento. 

Prestashop has more often taken a considerable time before a major upgrade was stable (Magento 2 wasn't that stable either initially). So we still need to wait to see what happens.

And still the better working solution with so many great additions and continue  adding new. I must say that everything I missed from ps 1.6 is there with few exceptions, but there is nothing perfect in the world. And don't forget it's not multimillion company with hundreds with developers, the few working on the project are doing it for free, they have to make a living meanwhile and that is why you think the process is slow. But still there are more bugs fixed and more features added than ps.

• 4 weeks later...

@Rizzzle

Why do you think PS 1.6. is going dated ? It is a technically stable version with high quantity of free and paid addons. There is no contradiction for to continue using this version as far as I know. Furthermore PS 1.6. is still having updates .

Don't think it is a reason for to move to another software because of the disaster of PS 1.7. Take it as it is: PS 1.7 is a version still in development. You can stay with PS 1.6. and when PS 1.7. will be moved to 100% symfony framework you can upgrade. This is the way I'm going with my customers.

• Like 1

once 1.7 has been 'community tested' as this is apparently 'open source' way of doing things..

and we see autoupgrade and stable that is not missing some of the most simple of things (i.e. who test this, oh yea we do)..

then it's off to the races people......

anyone that thinks 1.6 is easy to develop in, does not develop...at all...else does not understand 'best practices'...

1.7+....sets complete new framework that IS NOT IN 1.6 and never will be...

all you need to know about 1.7?  template inheritance, similar to shopify 'liquid'....we are seeing some great new work that can be done THAT COULD NOT BE DONE in 1.6...

disaster?  what new release of ps was not?  welcome to open source....

I am very new to PrestaShop, having been asked to take over from a previous developer - the old version of PS (1.6) would not upgrade, so I have started a fresh with the latest version!!! - and started filling that up with old content from a backup.   Having read about it being 'evil', 'unstable', 'buggy'  ... should i start to worry now ... even look at changing platforms?  Can i retro back to a version that is stable from the 1.7.2.4?

I have found it to be a very slow process of adding change to the system, updates don't show front-facing yet are done and saved within the modules,  errors appear when upgrading modules ... but the frustrating thing is, PS 1.7 looks so much nicer than 1.6, 

My latest error "exception thrown by module ps_customtext on upgrade. Error sent by Addons. You may need to be logged." ... what does that even mean? should i log it in with the PS team? Start a thread on here? or has it be logged already by the system?

I'm feeling a bit dejected at the moment ... :(