Regenerate thumbnails of a huge amount of product - how to

tickmeister

Hi

I need to regenerate thumbnails of over 7000 products, of course there is server timeout, so now shop is without thumbnails. provider has a backup copy (so i can copy img folder from backup to shop) but it takes a lot of time to process this amount of data, so maybe there is a way to regenerate thumbnails which won't need me to spend a lot of time doing this. 

you can try to change the script time out by adding following to /config/config.inc.php

@set_time_limit(300);  //set to 5 minutes

But some service provider may not allow to change this - so it may not work.

Also remember to remove it one it is done - it is not good to keep long script run time all the time.

You can attempt to increase the timeout, however it is not necessary.  You can just run the regenerate image function multiple times until it completes.  Just do not choose the option to erase previous images.  Prestashop has intelligence to only recreate images that need to be recreated if you do not choose that option

• 4 years later...
On 3/29/2016 at 3:50 PM, bellini13 said:

You can attempt to increase the timeout, however it is not necessary.  You can just run the regenerate image function multiple times until it completes.  Just do not choose the option to erase previous images.  Prestashop has intelligence to only recreate images that need to be recreated if you do not choose that option

If PRESTASHOP HAD A VERY TINY AMOUNT OF INTELLIGENCE THEY WOULD HAVE DONE THE FEATURE IN AJAX FROM THE BEGINNING !, I HAVE 50K PRODUCTS SERVER TIMING OUT AFTER 5 MINUTES I WOULD HAVE TO SIT BEHIND MY COMPUTER FOR 5 HOURS PRESING  REGENERATE AFTER EACH TIME OUT , GENIUS !

• 4 weeks later...

I have ipage hosting that is poor and causes timeouts like i think you get. I found a little trick with ipage that lets me reset the time for the user that you use to connect ur site to the db. see the image. Maybe it will work for you? All i do it click the 'set privileges' and it resets the 'timer'. Please note - i am a noob with all this so i might be talking out my arse but it does work for me - not sure about mid request. Anyway if it did work id use Au3Record to keep doing the button hits every 2 mins.

Untitled-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

for me (on my hosting) you can make the selection - one step/screen before i get to the phpmyadmin screen. If you see my screenshot - its where i select what db i want to look at - you can see ive blanked out my db names. I can have as many db's as i like...maybe you can only have one db????
Maybe ask ur hosting if there is a set privileges type button - as in my example