How to set up PayPal USA advanced

cdelicath81

Hi I am using Prestashop 1.5.5 and I am trying to configure the PayPal USA module for use with PayPal advanced processing.

I have the module installed and enabled and it shows at checkout but any button I click "paynow,bill me later, or CC directs me to my page but a blank center column area.

Under my PayPal Manager account I have the return URL and Error URL set to my home page just to get the module to display in checkout. PayPal will not let me select layout C without populating these fields.

I have not been able to find a setup guide other then the popup window in the module explaining how to make it work or how to change the settings in PayPal's manager to mesh with the PayPAl USA module.

Please help!

Edited by cdelicath81 (see edit history)

Welcome to the nightmare that is Prestashop Paypal module.

Make sure in the prestashop module you only have the advanced fields filled in and saved.

Make sure in the prestashop module you have the paypal api/standard payment fields empty and click save.

Make sure you are using a 'user' and you can't use your default/yourself.  You have to go into Paypal Manager and generate an additional user.  I did that and just used another nickname for myself, and a new password but it is essential for the module to work.

In Paypal manager, click on Service settings.

Click on Hosted Checkout or just 'Set Up."

First setting - choose your settings: live

Second setting, just fill in enter cancel url and enter error url

I would suggest you use the same url for both your cancel url and error url, For me, that was http://www.xyz.com/prestashopfolder/en/order   ... Yours will be different because your domain and folder has a different name

cancel url method: get

enter button text - Submit Payment

Third setting - Paypal express checkout .. up to you. I just leave alone.

Fourth setting - up to you if you click on CSC but make sure if you DO check CSC as required that you also check CSC as editable ... otherwise people can't enter their CSC at checkout.

Fifth setting - Payment confirmation:

click on the 'On a Paypal hosted page radio button for 'show confirmation page'

up to you to enter a header text; same for your footer text.  I'm not really sure it even appears anyway ...

leave text for return url blank

for enter return url, I used this, and I would recommend you do the same:

http://www.xyz.com/prestashopfolder/en/order-confirmation

then, make sure you select 'Post' for the return url method

Sixth setting - leave as is ... silent post no and other two fields empty

Seventh setting - leave it all blank, and ensure it says confirm payment by email as 'NO'

Eight setting - I decide to leave both fields, AVS and CSC as no but ........ make sure for Enable Secure Token it says 'YES'

Click save.

Now, on the same Service Settings page, click on Customize\

Select Layout C.

Click Save and Publish.

okay, you're done with Paypal manager.

If you did all that, the first part in the paypal manager with creating a separate user, and then provided those details for the fields in the Paypal Prestashop payment module for advanced, you should have a totally green bar showing just above the selections saying everything is good once you hit save there..  Then if you did what I recommended in the Hosted Page

You should have functionality.

With that said, this free Paypal Advanced Module is totally and completely jacked up and the Prestashop developers steadfastly refuse to wander into the forum to offer an official fix or even say they are working on it.

Then, tonight, I ordered three add on modules from the Addon store and I got a payment error from Paypal.  I called the customer service line at Prestashop and recommended that they "call themselves and report a technical problem with the Paypal module because it seems everyone is having unbelievable problems with the module and 1.5.5"

yeah, a bit in your face but right now, these Prestashop Developers are showing their worst possible professional development and coding faces in the software business.- they know there is a huge bug and they don't care.

Brian

• Like 4

Brian thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I will give that all a try but now i'm wondering if I should save the $5.00 a month and stay with PayPal standard :P

I thought it would be great to keep customers on my site during checkout but not at the cost of errors with payment.

Edited by cdelicath81 (see edit history)

yeah, I thought the same way you did ... and I only discovered after I starting setting everything up that the feature of keeping clients on your site during checkout is only applicable for straight credit card orders.  If you order by paypal, you get redirected ... although in my conversations with paypal, they say the paypal express checkout will stay on the site, when they push out an update in mid-november.

there is one other issue on top of all this... if and when you get your module working, and you perform a live transaction with a credit card purchase, it will show a pop up for a brief period of time that says please wait while transaction is processing but then that popup disappears and unless you look at the tab of your current browser, you won't know the wheel is still turning and there is another long pause until you are finally taken to the order confirmation page.

As I said, ... these Prestashop developers ... really don't seem to care about polishing their paypal silver. I guess they like to eat with plastic knives and forks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, I want to wholeheartedly say that everybody at PrestaShop works they're butt off making the best Ecommerce solution even better. 

Thank you Brian for being an active member of the Forum and community. We really do appreciate your feedback and we always take this into account. 

Please download the updated module here, it has some minor updates that may solve your issues. http://addons.prestashop.com/en/payments-gateways-prestashop-modules/8277-paypalusa.html

if you have 1.5x you could please check this file as well. Its a slight fix with some payment hooks. https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop/pull/768

Of course, How to Manually Back Up your PrestaShop Database and Files

Hi Benjamin, why is it that modules on the addons store always show a recent update date, but their version numbers never change?

Paypal USA module version has been v1.2.6 for some time now, and the "Updated" date currently says 10/17/2013.  If I look tomorrow, it will probably say 10/18/2013, with the same version number

Edit 10/18/2013:

So as suspected, the Paypal USA module last Updated date now says 10/18/2013, but the version is v1.2.6

Edited by bellini13 (see edit history)

Hi Benjamin, why is it that modules on the addons store always show a recent update date, but their version numbers never change?

Paypal USA module version has been v1.2.6 for some time now, and the "Updated" date currently says 10/17/2013.  If I look tomorrow, it will probably say 10/18/2013, with the same version number

Edit 10/18/2013:

So as suspected, the Paypal USA module last Updated date now says 10/18/2013, but the version is v1.2.6

That is a good question. I will ask the team and update you about this. 

The PayPal USA module should work, if it does not then we need to know what is the problem. Especially with certain upgrades. However, I think another problem is the documentation aspect of configuring and setting up this module. I will meet with the devs next week to problem solve some of the configuration issues due to confusion and lack of help docs to correctly solve the problem. 

• 1 month later...

PayPal is currently being updated, but I don't think that is the problem you are experiencing. 

Have you tried reuploading the module via FTP, after you delete the old one. Maybe some files were corrupted during the transfer. 

Does it act the same on all browsers? On chrome, if it acts this way check the console (F12 and hit Console tab) and let me know if there is anything there.

Thanks!

This is what I found when I ran it F12

event.returnValue is deprecated. Please use the standard event.preventDefault() instead.
[blocked] The page at 'https://southsidevacuum.com/quick-order' was loaded over HTTPS, but ran insecure content from 'http://southsidevacuum.com/module/paypalusa/validation': this content should also be loaded over HTTPS. quick-order:1

Ok this is were I am entering the card number were it say pay with credit or debit and then what happens is what I should in the previous post checkout2.png

appears the paypal usa module is not using HTTPS to load its content. 

you can ignore event message.  When do you get the blocked message?  It it when the page loads, or when you click the submit payment button?

[blocked] The page at 'https://southsidevac...com/quick-order' was loaded over HTTPS, but ran insecure content from 'http://southsidevacu...lusa/validation': this content should also be loaded over HTTPS. quick-order:1

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure in the prestashop module you only have the advanced fields filled in and saved.

Make sure in the prestashop module you have the paypal api/standard payment fields empty and click save.

Make sure you are using a 'user' and you can't use your default/yourself.  You have to go into Paypal Manager and generate an additional user.  I did that and just used another nickname for myself, and a new password but it is essential for the module to work.

I would suggest you use the same url for both your cancel url and error url, For me, that was http://www.xyz.com/prestashopfolder/en/order   ... Yours will be different because your domain and folder has a different name

Fourth setting - up to you if you click on CSC but make sure if you DO check CSC as required that you also check CSC as editable ... otherwise people can't enter their CSC at checkout.

up to you to enter a header text; same for your footer text.  I'm not really sure it even appears anyway ...

Seventh setting - leave it all blank, and ensure it says confirm payment by email as 'NO'

Eight setting - I decide to leave both fields, AVS and CSC as no but ........ make sure for Enable Secure Token it says 'YES'

Click save.

Select Layout C.

Click Save and Publish.

If you did all that, the first part in the paypal manager with creating a separate user, and then provided those details for the fields in the Paypal Prestashop payment module for advanced, you should have a totally green bar showing just above the selections saying everything is good once you hit save there..  Then if you did what I recommended in the Hosted Page

With that said, this free Paypal Advanced Module is totally and completely jacked up and the Prestashop developers steadfastly refuse to wander into the forum to offer an official fix or even say they are working on it.

Then, tonight, I ordered three add on modules from the Addon store and I got a payment error from Paypal.  I called the customer service line at Prestashop and recommended that they "call themselves and report a technical problem with the Paypal module because it seems everyone is having unbelievable problems with the module and 1.5.5"

yeah, a bit in your face but right now, these Prestashop Developers are showing their worst possible professional development and coding faces in the software business.- they know there is a huge bug and they don't care.

Brian

So in Prestashop where do you find the cancel page URL and the error page URL? I don't have a /en/order-confirmation folder on my installation. The only /en folder I have is under translations.

That is a good question. I will ask the team and update you about this. 

The PayPal USA module should work, if it does not then we need to know what is the problem. Especially with certain upgrades. However, I think another problem is the documentation aspect of configuring and setting up this module. I will meet with the devs next week to problem solve some of the configuration issues due to confusion and lack of help docs to correctly solve the problem. 

Any updates on this? I am stuck trying to get PP Advanced working on my cart too. I dont have some of the folder referenced earlier in this thread and I am at a loss as to how to proceed with this. I have a paypal pro account as well as an advanced account, but, I don't I should have to close to $200 to get working payment solution.

• 1 month later...

I was having the same issue as most of you all but mine was caused because my site uses an SSL and after PayPal process the payment it was trying to post to the validation page via http instead of https. Most browsers don't like doing that for security purposes, whiched caused the hang-up.

I set up my PayPal Manager as surferboy recommended with a few variations. For the urls I just removed the 'en'. I also included https into the urls, but that didn't seem to fix my issue.

It wasn't until I went into /modules/paypalusa/paypalusa.php on line 416 and replaced both instances of

$this->context->link->getModuleLink('paypalusa', 'validation')

with

https://www.[mysite].com/module/paypalusa/validation

paypalusa.php

After that my module started processing the orders correctly.

The link for your site may be a little different depending on how your site is setup.

I am actually using PayPal USA version 1.3 found at https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop-modules, although had to manually add the contents of backward_compatibility folder in paypalusa after downloading the master.zip.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for the very detailed explanation, surferboy! It fixed most of my payment issues... except one.

When an order is processed via credit card (not paypal account but just plain old credit card), NONE of the customer information is passed over to Paypal. Here's what my Paypal account says:

Name:   NotProvided (The sender of this payment is Unregistered) Email:   No email address included

So I have no way of knowing who to ship the order to, which is of course an issue I need to resolve before launch day.

Any advice?

Unfortunately, no.  I face the same thing and even if the customer is a paypal customer, the information only provides their name and email address. 

So I have to process all of my orders through the Prestashop ACP (backoffice).  You can see the details of the orders placed there and PayPal does confirm the payment so you know the money was properly collected. 

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

I've reviewed the Paypal USA v1.3.3 code, and the module simply does not pass the customer information. 

The module appears to use Paypals "Payflow" interface, for which I found an integration guide.  The guide says that customer name and email address are optional fields.

https://www.paypalobjects.com/webstatic/en_US/developer/docs/pdf/pp_payflowlink_guide.pdf

In the modules paypalusa.php file, you will find a function called hookPayment, and on line 414 you would see the following code

$result = $this->postToPayFlow('&TRXTYPE[1]=S&AMT['.strlen($amount).']='.$amount.$nvp_request.'&CREATESECURETOKEN[1]=Y&DISABLERECEIPT=TRUE&SECURETOKENID[36]='.$token.
    '&CURRENCY['.strlen(urlencode($currency->iso_code)).']='.urlencode($currency->iso_code).'&TEMPLATE[9]=MINLAYOUT&ERRORURL['.strlen($this->context->link->getModuleLink('paypalusa', 'validation')).']='.$this->context->link->getModuleLink('paypalusa', 'validation').
    '&CANCELURL='.$this->context->link->getPageLink('order.php','').
    '&RETURNURL['.strlen($this->context->link->getModuleLink('paypalusa', 'validation')).']='.$this->context->link->getModuleLink('paypalusa', 'validation'), Configuration::get('PAYPAL_USA_PAYFLOW_LINK') ? 'link' : 'pro');

You should be able to edit that code and include the name and email.  You will see that I added this code at the beginning

$result = $this->postToPayFlow('&EMAIL='.$this->context->customer->email.
    '&NAME='.$this->context->customer->firstname.' '.$this->context->customer->lastname.
    '&TRXTYPE[1]=S&AMT['.strlen($amount).']='.$amount.$nvp_request.'&CREATESECURETOKEN[1]=Y&DISABLERECEIPT=TRUE&SECURETOKENID[36]='.$token.
    '&CURRENCY['.strlen(urlencode($currency->iso_code)).']='.urlencode($currency->iso_code).'&TEMPLATE[9]=MINLAYOUT&ERRORURL['.strlen($this->context->link->getModuleLink('paypalusa', 'validation')).']='.$this->context->link->getModuleLink('paypalusa', 'validation').
    '&CANCELURL='.$this->context->link->getPageLink('order.php','').
    '&RETURNURL['.strlen($this->context->link->getModuleLink('paypalusa', 'validation')).']='.$this->context->link->getModuleLink('paypalusa', 'validation'), Configuration::get('PAYPAL_USA_PAYFLOW_LINK') ? 'link' : 'pro');

Note: I have not tested this since I do not use this module and I do not have a manager account.  So please be a good community member and report back if this has worked for you, or if you had to make any other changes.

Wow, thank you both for the great info!!

Bellini, I'll try that in about an hour and let you know how it goes.

The reason I wanted to get this info in there in the first place was because Paypal makes it easy to print a label using that customer address info. However, it just dawned on me today that the customer's paypal address might be outdated (as opposed to what they listed for shipping in the store), in which case the package would be sent to the wrong address anyway. Hm.

Ok let me try this code change to see if it brings in the name and email to Paypal at least. Slightly off topic: If you don't use Paypal for shipping the orders, what do you use for printing packing slips and generating labels? 

Thank you so much to both, I really appreciate it. I'll post again with the results of the code change soon.

Cheers!

Oh my.

Bellini I copied your code into line 414 but I think I left a piece off. It broke my site (blank white page!!), so I reverted back to the original paypalusa.php. The site is back, but it looks a little crazy and there are some theme pieces missing - ACK! 

After reviewing the code again it looks like this is for Paypal standard and I have Paypal Pro.

Why didn't reverting back to the original file fix the website problem?? What can I do now?? ACK!

In a panic,

L

Nevermind! I cleared Smarty cache and everything went back to normal!!  :D

At least I have the date and time of a Paypal transaction so if I need to go back in the event of a discrepancy I can use that. And it's good that Paypal passes a "payment accepted" status over to PrestaShop, too.

Sorry - got off topic there. I found stamps.com and that's working great for labels.

New problem - I just installed an SSL cert for my website and now Paypal only works if I set PrestaShop to force all pages to use SSL. I'd rather keep the shop pages as http and just use https for payment - which looks right when I set it that way except the payments don't work correctly.

Once I submit payment on an order, these are the problems:

1. I get a big grey box at the bottom of the page where the Paypal layout C used to be.

2. The payment goes through to Paypal just fine, but the order is not generated in Prestashop.

Everything was great before I installed the SSL cert. :-/

Any ideas to fix this?

• 4 months later...

Click save.

Select Layout C.

Click Save and Publish.

Brian

Hello all, I am trying to follow Surferboy post however in "Second setting, just fill in enter cancel url and enter error url" I get lost I can't find those url's could someone please tell me where could I find those pages? Thank you.

Has anyone that commented or visited this page got the default Paypal module to work?  I have everything setup properly and I am not even getting a payment option at checkout.

I also would like to use PayPal advanced as an option but it doesnt seem like an out-of-the-box working solution.

• Like 1

Has anyone that commented or visited this page got the default Paypal module to work?  I have everything setup properly and I am not even getting a payment option at checkout.

I also would like to use PayPal advanced as an option but it doesnt seem like an out-of-the-box working solution.

Hello Flyclothing, I do not know if you saw my last post about PayPal advance, where I mention that PayPal people directly told me that they can't get the module to work correctly since all the configurations are hard coded into the module, the only people that can help is Prestashop since they are the makers of the module, good luck trying to get anything out of those fellows, I send a mail a long long time ago I never got a response you are better off looking for other options.

I might suggest look into Brain Tree they give you free service for the first $50000 if you are in the USA, I put my application today as soon as is approved I am making the switch.

• 11 months later...

paypalusa advanced mode... i saw the solution above by bellini,  It is close, but paypal is still asking for more info, such as billing address etc... so i will probably make an update in a moment for you guys since i have to solve it anyway.  more soon.

also i found the problem with paypal usa standard mode...

if there is tax or an exchange rate being applied, one of the values posted has 3 decimal places.  This fails the conversion from cart to order because the validation fails for the fraction of a cent.  I have a fix for that too

paypalusa/views/templates/hook/standard.tpl

line 45  Once again this is for standard mode of paypal usa

replace:

<input type="hidden" name="amount_{$smarty.foreach.paypal_usa_products.index+1|escape:'htmlall':'UTF-8'}" value="{$paypal_usa_product.price|floatval}" /> 

with
<input type="hidden" name="amount_{$smarty.foreach.paypal_usa_products.index+1|escape:'htmlall':'UTF-8'}" value="{$paypal_usa_product.price|string_format:"%.2f"}" />

fix for advanced coming soon.

Edited by codeboy (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

Just in case anyone else encounters the same issue as myself in PrestaShop 1.6.1.6 with PayPal v1.3.9, it turned out that I was unable to use a PayPal Manager user password containing a # symbol.  While this was a perfectly valid password in PayPal's system, PrestaShop simply would not connect.  It was only after much trial and error that I eventually figured this out.  Such a simple, stupid fix.

Edited by matticus (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just in case anyone else encounters the same issue as myself in PrestaShop 1.6.1.6 with PayPal v1.3.9, it turned out that I was unable to use a PayPal Manager user password containing a # symbol.  While this was a perfectly valid password in PayPal's system, PrestaShop simply would not connect.  It was only after much trial and error that I eventually figured this out.  Such a simple, stupid fix.

Thank you! After so much tinkering, password special characters was my issue as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on these issues?  I started with the PP USA module and got completely stuck with the voucher problem using Standard or Express.  I chose to setup a PP Advanced Payments account to bypass this issue.  Well, now I don't have the PP payment option in my checkout!  Argh.

I followed all the steps of surferboy earlier in this thread and there's no change whatsoever.  I can see my Pay By Check and Pay by Wire options but PP doesn't show up at all.

Latest version of PS and latest version of the PP USA module.

Any new news or tips regarding setup of PP Advanced or with the first issue I had where you can't use vouchers and PP Standard or Express?

Good luck with this!  I havent had Paypal working since using Prestashop and no solution has been offered.  I talked with PayPal in depth also and they said the 3rd party module hasnt worked for a long time.  You would think they would have a module of their own for Prestashop but it's probably not a money-making cart. Solution? ...another cart.