PrestaShop vs Magento

The Leader: Magento

Magento is the leader in the e-commerce shopping cart market. It is an open-source shopping cart that provides online merchants with flexibility and control over the look and feel, content and functionality of their store. Magento is extremely feature-rich software, and some of its top features include:

- Customer segmentation: 

- Targeting promotion and merchandising: Magento reward points, Magento loyalty points

- Product suggestion tools, with ratings and reviews: 

- Search Engine Optimization option

- Multiple payment and shipping options : Magento one page checkout, Magento ticket system

- Plus many more features: Magento free gift, Magento daily deal,...

The Challenger: PrestaShop

Prestashop is an award-winning e-commerce shopping cart platform with a huge online community, over 125,000 online stores and an extensive features list. PrestShop is up and coming and is gaining in popularity in the US as a reliable, robust shopping cart solution. If there is any shopping cart that could challenge Magento, that shopping cart is PrestaShop. Let’s have a look at some of the top features of PrestaShop:

- Catalog management

- Site management

- Search Engine Optimization

- Analytics and reporting

- Localization/Taxes

- Shipping and payments

• Like 1

It's not much of a comparison review, it's just a bunch of statements put together :/

You should mention Magento will give you headaches if you're a developer, and you'll need to invest a lot more money for it than Prestashop if you're a merchant

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's not much of a comparison review, it's just a bunch of statements put together :/

You should mention Magento will give you headaches if you're a developer, and you'll need to invest a lot more money for it than Prestashop if you're a merchant

+1 PrestaShop usage increased 47% in the past year, making it the fastest growing Ecommerce software in the past year. http://w3techs.com/blog/entry/fact_20130812

i removed all magento links from first post, it was a kind of spam i think!

magento leader? not for me :D

I vote for democracy and free expression of opinion. Only dictators suppress opposition. Democrats use unpleasant opinions to improve their own offerings.

Let's publish a fair comparison of both systems.

yea you've got right, but he said something like "magento is much better, here are my modules, order them", he added 6 urls to own modules! it's ridiculous, it isn't democracy, it's spam, and im here to fight with it ;)

OK. You are right as I don't remember the original post well.

Anyway, I believe that the right way how to win is be better.

• 2 months later...

Hello all :)

Just to get back on topic which do you think is best? (I know you will probably be biased towards PrestaShop seen as though its the PrestaShop forum, but I would appreciate an honest overview of PrestaShop vs Magento Community edition)

I am basicly at the start of setting up my [spam-filter]'s ecommerce shop. I am a wordpress user (so thought of using plugins to change wordpress but I thought that because the project is ecommerce, then I should have an ecommerce framework rather than a blogging one).

I automatically thought of magento (as it has a lot of hype etc online and some blogs that I read say they use magento for their ecom stores) but after reading more about the 2 (and trying magento out) I am not convinced 100%. PrestaShop seems to be pretty good (been using the online demo) and was thinking of using it.

Any advice etc would be appreciated.

Thanks.

PrestaShop is much easier to use, learning curve is less, v1.5 is great and v1.6 is a game changer. One of the many reasons why we've won many awards. Recently, eCommerce Bytes Rated us the BEST Free Ecommerce Solution. http://www.prestashop.com/blog/en/prestashop-ranks-on-top-for-ecommerce-bytes-sellers-choice-awards-2013/

+1 one. We were running Magento before we changed to Prestashop. Prestashop is much easier to use and needs also less server ressources.

• Like 1

you should try both.

because of all the different choices out there, each is having to up their game to compete.

this is good for us all.

so if you can, try both, then you can better understand how your products can be presented with the least amount of work.  For example, if you have lots of products, then bulk updates is a feature you want to make sure is included.  ps seems 'somewhat' weak from say 1.5.6 back...1.6 has new back office features that I have not tried yet.

I run a small shop but I can only imagine that managing higher number of products requires bulk updating.  I bought a bulk specific price module otherwise I would not really be able to use the full potential of native specific pricing.  there seem to be a good number of quality bulk updaters on addon's...so you may or may not need a 'paid' addon to help you manage your shop.  This of course holds true for any platform you pick.

it's all about 'time'...time is money...easy product management means you can lower prices to compete...or make more by the hour your work....

what I think ps has over most is 'by' country/language/currency support...if you sell in more than one country...I can't imagine a non-proprietary system being any better.

good luck!

• 4 months later...

Hi

Can't speak highly enough about Prestashop as a developer but as mentioned previously there are pro's and con's for both, and all dependant on your own IT ability and the IT ability of our clients... just for the mix we found a great info graphic here:

Prestashop v Magent v Open Cart

Still think Prestashop will be hard to beat.... :)

Nick

Edited by Teapot Creative (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

I'm a fan of Prestashop but lately I have been using Magento a lot more, the main reason is that it deals with virtual products far better than Prestashop, for PS virtual products seems to be an after thought. In 1.6.0.6 I still find virtual products simply vanishing.

i removed all magento links from first post, it was a kind of spam i think!

magento leader? not for me :D

I don't like magento (Argh), but, at last here in Brazil, Magento is the Leader and Prestashop the second.

See the picture below:

o-que-e-plataforma-magento.jpg

I'm a developer and Ecommerce Manager, and i think prestashop is much easier, fast and better for developers and manager. But Magento (Argh) is much famous.

Prestashop is not robust. 1.6 is better, I think the team is working hard.

But Magento is so difficult to understand. It's like Linux or MS-DOS. It's getting old...

I recommend Prestashop for a medium enterprise.

Williams sonoma / IBM could use Magento