Would you fresh install 1.4.9 or fresh install 1.5.3.x  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you pick?

• Fresh install 1.4.9
    • Fresh install 1.5.3.x
    • Fresh install 1.4.11
    • Fresh install 1.5.4.x

Very simple question.

If you had the choice for a fresh install, would you install 1.4.9 or install version 1.5.3 ?

Also knowing that you want a version that is hassle free, least bugs and problems and just want something solid.

// Edit //

It's been a year later and right now, Prestashop version 1.4.11 is out and also 1.5.4.1

Would you still install 1.5.4.1 over the 'bug-free' 1.4.11 ?

Edited by John_John (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since nobody is replying....

I recently installed 1.5.3.1 and must say its quite stable so far.

Compared to 1.4.9 i do notice that the new BO needs getting used to and certain aspects would've been easier if the layout was done differently / more efficiently.

Overall, 1.5.3.1 seems good

I'm using 1.4.7.3 and I'm thinking to upgrade to the newest version but it seems that there are so many problems so I can't really answer this question. I do want to know how other people feel.

If upgrade has so many problems, will it be better to install the newest version in a new folder and just do it from scratch again?

Personally i would always opt for a clean install if possible.

The only thing i would do / try is install a clean version, then import all the orders/clients/images from the old version to the new one (if possible - haven't tried this myself yet)

• 2 weeks later...

Short answer - for new installs, 1.5.3.1 is good and will provide a better upgrade path in the future.

Read on for the good, bad and ugly......

I have 3 shops running 1.4.9.0 quite well using some heavily customized stock Prestashop themes. I did tests on all 3 for an upgrade. The amount of theme rework and configuring is not trivial to get what I want. The PDF function did not work for any of my upgraded shops (invoices, etc.). This is a show stopper for me. I also have some modules that are not yet available for 1.5, so will keep these shops at 1.4.9 for now.

I just setup a shop from scratch using 1.5.3.1. The setup wasn't bad at all and I like some of the new BO features. I like the SQL Manager as it provides very powerful capability to save sql queries and output desired reports. I know the same capability is available using phpmyadmin on 1.4.9.0 but it is not as convenient as the built in SQL Manager capability on 1.5.

The new 1.5.3.1 shop has been customized with additional fields for the ps_customer table. I am able to accommodate this with overrides in the FO and BO that will make future upgrades easier. I had some overrides for changes I made on 1.4.9.0 and used these as the basis to generate similar 1.5.3.1 override files without too much problem.

The PDF documents in 1.5.3.1 are butt ugly! I'll need to play with this and see if I can recreate the look and format I'm used to from 1.4.9.

So - for new installs, the 1.5.3.1 appears to work mostly well. Upgrading from 1.4.9.0 to 1.5.3.1 I don't think is worth the effort to get everything working right.

My 1.5.3.1 site is stable, no major issues. I would start a new site using the current 1.5 generation so you can more easily upgrade later on if needed.

The only module I want that I can't get to work. on 1.5.3.1 right now is the "send to friend module", I wish that worked on a 1.5 SSL site. Pretty much all else works and the back office is nice.

I usually like to recommend a fresh install of 1.5.3.1.

That said, I know of multiple 1.4.9 shops that have upgraded to 1.5.3 no problem.

I think that some issues arise from 1.5-1.5.2 versions that have been upgraded to 1.5.3.

I tested all the versions (not the 1.4.10 you sent me yet) and I HATE 1.5.3

The reason is one bug on the cart.. I put 2 products that need different carrier to the same order and every time I test this order the result is different.. I went back to my LOVE (1.5.2 that according to my opinion is stable enough! Even if there are some bugs, they have been referred several times till now so we can fix them somehow)

USEFUL ADVICE: Better work on bug solving on all your versions, than publishing a new one because the people want it asap..

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...