Prestashop forum support sucks

nicoX

This forum seems quite to be taking a long nap. I have posted several questions without getting any answer.

Looking back to threads from 2012-14 it was very active, and Prestashop staff was engaging with the users. What happened, why is this forum now in a sleep mode?

- the Prestashop staff is no longer active on the forum. That is a company decision. It is the kind of "saving" that will only cost them money - but we can't stop them from doing this.

- the Prestashop user base is shrinking - or at least its grow has subsided - due to version 1.7. That has the instability problems of a new version and not everyone likes its new software environment based on the Symfony framework.

So we are all waiting until:

- Prestashop fires its ceo 

or

- 1.7 becomes stable and a success

or

- Prestashop realizes its mistakes and starts listening to its users again 

or

- Thirty Bees - a Prestashop 1.6 fork - manages to take over where Prestashop dropped the ball.

it's  simple why forum sucks.

when new post you have to manually run on notifications.

so mostly people are not notified of reply to their post,  nor is the community member replying notified of subsequent response

this happens every forum upgrade, i.e. goes back to bad default.

community manager has been informed....again....but still not fixed.  

it's not community, it's forum sfw setup.

https://www.screencast.com/t/OnvSOec18C

Edited by El Patron (see edit history)

It's going downhill..When you run a webshop thats have to generate income, you have to stay away from version 1.7..at all.

Even the 1.6..version are loaded with a lot of bugs, but PS will stop the support and to solve them.

I move over to TB, with a test shop and I see there are a lot of bugs solved and even a great community to help. Thats the way to go!

On 3/28/2018 at 9:21 PM, musicmaster said:

- the Prestashop staff is no longer active on the forum. That is a company decision. It is the kind of "saving" that will only cost them money - but we can't stop them from doing this.

- the Prestashop user base is shrinking - or at least its grow has subsided - due to version 1.7. That has the instability problems of a new version and not everyone likes its new software environment based on the Symfony framework.

So we are all waiting until:

- Prestashop fires its ceo 

or

- 1.7 becomes stable and a success

or

- Prestashop realizes its mistakes and starts listening to its users again 

or

- Thirty Bees - a Prestashop 1.6 fork - manages to take over where Prestashop dropped the ball.

Well it's no wonder that nobody is on 1.7.x. Most of the people run a 1.6 or even earlier version of prestashop and upgrading to 1.7.x is a major pain. No automated update just terrible. Who wants to mess up a good running shop and rebuilding everything is just too much work.

Instead of further developing a shop they start from scratch rebuilding their current Software. Prestashop has been at a halt feature wise for the past 2 years.

Edited by jetway (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, jetway said:

Well it's no wonder that nobody is on 1.7.x. Most of the people run a 1.6 or even earlier version of prestashop and upgrading to 1.7.x is a major pain. No automated update just terrible. Who wants to mess up a good running shop and rebuilding everything is just too much work.

Instead of further developing a shop they start from scratch rebuilding their current Software. Prestashop has been at a halt feature wise for the past 2 years.

1.6 is doomed....developers (like me hate it)...this because 1.7 supports template inheritance.  it supports many other things like one ccc .js/.css for all pages..zoom zoom

as for 1/2 features,  that was true in prev to 1.7.  why?  ps bundled 'basic' modules....we see some of those modules dropped and replaced by 'paid' solutions...simply because the paid solutions are way better....i can tell a default shop a mile away.  so while this adds additional cost to project you get a much better shop.

The reason for folks not upgrading 'yet' to 1.7 is that autoupgrade is not yet ready.  So there is no clear path to upgrade.  We have done 1.7 upgrades but recommend waiting for autoupgrade....then boom...all the aging shops will begin their migration.  honestly I'm happy ps is waiting to release autoupgrade so whatever current 1.7 is stable.  they used to support to early and we saw loads of issues in community.

I have build/worked on 1.7 shops that are spectacular...if I never work on pre 1.7 shop again it will be to soon. lol

3 minutes ago, El Patron said:

1.6 is doomed....developers (like me hate it)...this because 1.7 supports template inheritance.  it supports many other things like one ccc .js/.css for all pages..zoom zoom

as for 1/2 features,  that was true in prev to 1.7.  why?  ps bundled 'basic' modules....we see some of those modules dropped and replaced by 'paid' solutions...simply because the paid solutions are way better....i can tell a default shop a mile away.  so while this adds additional cost to project you get a much better shop.

The reason for folks not upgrading 'yet' to 1.7 is that autoupgrade is not yet ready.  So there is no clear path to upgrade.  We have done 1.7 upgrades but recommend waiting for autoupgrade....then boom...all the aging shops will begin their migration.  honestly I'm happy ps is waiting to release autoupgrade so whatever current 1.7 is stable.  they used to support to early and we saw loads of issues in community.

I have build/worked on 1.7 shops that are spectacular...if I never work on pre 1.7 shop again it will be to soon. lol

Yes, that's what i am saying, 1.6. is doomed but stable compared to 1.7. Upgrading to 1.7. is an absolute pain at the moment and that's why nobody or very few have done it. There was also statement that auto upgrade is not planned ok that statement goes far back but anyhow. Rebuilding 1.7 from scratch has halted further development so prestashop has not advanced in 2 years, even worse its gone a step back.

2 minutes ago, jetway said:

Yes, that's what i am saying, 1.6. is doomed but stable compared to 1.7. Upgrading to 1.7. is an absolute pain at the moment and that's why nobody or very few have done it. There was also statement that auto upgrade is not planned ok that statement goes far back but anyhow. Rebuilding 1.7 from scratch has halted further development so prestashop has not advanced in 2 years, even worse its gone a step back.

I follow autoupgrade on git.....ps has been working on this 'hard' for last three months.  We thought maybe avail with 1.7.3 but now expect it for 1.7.4 in May.    I'd be patient a bit longer.  It has not halted development, actually 1.7 has spurred more development because it's much 'easier' to develop in.  Before we could  write module to 'add' content to front office, now we can override any where in theme,  so we can now add/change/remove...this is big step.....ps addon's we see full 1.7 eco.....the ones that are not now 1.7 were crap anyway.....lol

as for forum....we know why it sucks...'notify me of  replies' is not on by default.....way to ruin a community 'again'.....