ON PS 1.6 how to move one category into another one?

tivicrdotcom

Hello fellow PS Geeks, so I have the home categories correct? I am looking to move home category 38 into home category 17. The category I am trying to move (38) has 3 sub-categories inside for the record. They also have products. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
AJ

Hello Jetway, correct. I am looking to move one home category (38) and make that home category a sub category of another one (17). I'd like to add one more link to the menu without ending up with a 2 row menu so I am looking to move "home category music (38)" into "home category hobbies (17). This was music then will be a subcategory of hobbies and I could use its space for another link. Music itself has 3 sub categories with products, that's the catch.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
AJ
moving_into.gif

• 5 months later...

Just assign the correct parent category and you are done. Backoffice => cataloge => categories. The top horizontal menu then re-arranges according to the new parent category.

Thanks a lot for your reply. It worked like a charm.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have this situation now and want to know if I do this, is there a way to keep whatever search engine rankings I may have?

Thank you!

If you move the categories, so this will not have any impact on search engines, unless you didn't changed the SEO structure of Prestashop.

For Prestashop SERP's indexes the category in which the product is and the product itself. So as example of the case before: musica and their products contained and hobbies and their products contained.

If you have hobbies -> musica -> autor, than SERP's will take: autor and their products contained. So you will see on Google link for: yourdomain/autor and yourdomain/productxyz. All other categories before (hobbies and musica) will be not indexed in this case, unless you don't have products in there (directly and not in sub-categories). If you have products in there so they will indexed as well (musica/products.)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, pause4paws said:

I have this situation now and want to know if I do this, is there a way to keep whatever search engine rankings I may have?

Thank you!

"Page not found" could be a big problem for your ranking indeed.

In this case you should redirect from old url to the new one, You can do that with "redirect 301" in your htacces or better with php.

Best regards
Whiley

• Thanks 1

In case you will have "page not found" links in Google, but it should be not come if you move categories and products unless Prestashop is native (also theme), than you can use this module for to redirect URL's:

https://addons.prestashop.com/en/url-redirects/11399-301-302-303-url-redirects-and-404-seo.html

or this one

https://mypresta.eu/modules/seo/seo-redirects-301-302-303.html

or rewrite the URL's by adding them to your .htaccess manually (take a look into Google, you will find several tutorials for how to rewrite URL's)

• Thanks 1

@Whiley   @selectshop.at I have 7 categories and need to consolidate them into 3. None of the existing categories are good enough to reuse unless it will create major work. Then I’ll use the category that has the most products.

I use a 3rd party theme. I know mypresta.eu. That’s @vekia His modules and tutorials are excellent.

My concern is to not lose rankings if possible but not to make this a huge project because I have  lot more products to add.

Here is an example of what I want to do:

I have Category 1, category 2, up to category 7.

NEW CATEGORY ONE, NEW CATEGORY TWO and NEW CATEGORY THREE  

Category 1 can be reused but it is not the best.

Category 2 and 3 are too specific to be reused to move the extra categories under it as subcategories.

What is the best way for me to fix this problem, please?

Thank you,

Stephanie 

If you are consolidating these categories in new one (new name, not yet indexed) so you are creating "not found" for the old one's, because you are removing old and adding new. In this case you should rewrite the old URL's to the new one, to don't loose content and create double content.Your question in this case is not the same question as for the initial thread.

• Thanks 1

@selectshop.at        I think this is the plan without too many changes:

Four  main categories:

Dog Clothes (already exists)

Dog Lovers Jewelry (already exists)

Dogs Accessories and Supplies - create new. 

Gifts (already exists)

Make “Holidays and Events” a subcategory of Dog Clothes. 

Make “Dog treats” and “Dog Toys” a subcategory of Gifts. 

Make Grooming and Collars and Leashes a subcategory of Dogs Accessories and Supplies

Does this seem good?  And then I  only use Vekia’s module for “Dogs Accessories and Supplies”?

Do I need to create a new forum post now or is this related enough?

Thank you!

No, you can stay here. For all old links you will need to redirect them to the new one. Otherwise Google will delete only in steps old content (can take 2 years) and you will have double content, besides that users clicking on Google old links will come to an error page, instead of the new category (and in consequence abandon the shop, instead to use search).

• Thanks 1

like posted before you can do the redirection with php or with your htaccess. You don't need any module.

For each category you want to move you need one redirection for example

if you make “Holidays and Events” as a subcategory of Dog Clothes. 

you need the redirection in your htaccess:

RewriteRule ^holidays-and-events/(.*) https://www.alwayspaws.com/dog-clothes/holidays-and-events/$1 [R=301,L]

It's really very easy;)

Best regards
Whiley

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, pause4paws said:

Note: I just checked my settings and I have "immediate" set for replies. I looked in my email account and it still isn't there. 

If you are talking about messaging of the forum, than it is a bug. All messages are disabled for the moment.  Invison board and Prestashop are working on this bug.

You can use browser notifications instead of this, if you need.