Rewrite URL pathname

Is there a way to switch my shop landing page to "www.example.com" instead of "www.example.com/prestashop" without copying everything to the top-level folder/root folder?

My current web host setting:

Domain home directory pointed to a subfolder (i.e. root/example-com) = www.example.com

My prestashop files:

root/example-com/prestashop = www.example.com/prestashop

So basically, if a user goes to "www.example.com", I actually want them to land in the prestashop directly. 

If I do "move" the folder, can I move it to "root/prestashop" and still have my domain pointer to "root/example-com" ? Reason being is because I use this web hosting to host multiple domains, but I currently am only using prestashop for one domain but like the idea managing multiple domains later in one shop.

What would be ideal here? Any help would be greatly appreciate, as I am new to ecommerce.  Thanks in advance!

Edited by oomengoo (see edit history)

There is no easy way to do that, unfortunately. Setting another page as base url should be as easy as adding it into the urls configuration, but having it read as index itself would require lots of core modifications (depending on the controller you want to use)