Is 128MB RAM enough for MySQL for PrestaShop?

Hi,

I'm moving my shop harryfay.co.uk from JustHost to OVH using OVH Web Hosting Performance option. This comes with two types of MySql: shared and private with 128MB of RAM. Do you have any suggestions which one should I use?

Shared is limited to 30 simultaneous connections and private has no such limit. On the other hand the private one has only 128MB of memory - will that be enough?

Thank you,

Marcin Gorecki

Thank you for you answers. I set up my shop using private sql. The 128MB option won't last long - with a very light traffic MySQL uses ~90MB. I hope I'll grow up out of it soon.

I'm quite happy with current performance on ovh - much better than justhost.com.

You can see with OVH if you can tweak your php.ini settings to slightly optimize performance and bypass some memory limit errors. Read the post here http://www.prestashop.com/blog/en/php-ini-file/

• Like 2

You can see with OVH if you can tweak your php.ini settings to slightly optimize performance and bypass some memory limit errors. Read the post here http://www.prestashop.com/blog/en/php-ini-file/

It's not possible to tweak php.ini on OVH shared hosting. Still thanks for good reading! It will be handy when I move to VPS.

Okay, have you contacted OVH to see if they can change it on their end? Many hosting companies will allow you to change it even on shared hosting so that is a bit surprising. 

I second Benjamin, also, one of my clients ran a site with ovh and they did change some php.ini settings as far as I can remember (like a year or 2 ago)

Thank you. At the moment the page is performing very well - ~700ms to for main page, ~1.25s for a category page. Does it make sense to try to optimize it even more?

My original question was about MySQL server - OVH offers separate private MySQL, which has no connection limit and guaranteed resources, but a hard memory limit of 128MB. With default settings this private MySQL works fine for me - current MySQL memory usage is 96MB.

Btw: OVH is listed as a Prestashop partner. It would be great if they shared more information about suggested configuration.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone and thanks for your interest concerning OVH hosting offers.

I am Maxime, product manager at OVH.

Here are some quick details :

- Yes we advise you to use the dedicated SQL with your PrestaShop installation. The 128 Mb one thats comes free with any Performance plan is enough for most cases. If your activity grows you can then upgrade this RAM limit.

- We are currently working on PAAS offering for our Performance customers; This will give you more flexibility on the environnement, including the executions of more languages + more cutomization for the environnement you choose.

• Like 1

- Yes we advise you to use the dedicated SQL with your PrestaShop installation. The 128 Mb one thats comes free with any Performance plan is enough for most cases. If your activity grows you can then upgrade this RAM limit.

Maxime,

Thank you for your answer. Memory usage on my private mysql stabilized around 102MB (out of 128MB) with my pretty small shop, which seems to confirm this configuration as a viable option.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Maxime,

Thank you for your answer. Memory usage on my private mysql stabilized around 102MB (out of 128MB) with my pretty small shop, which seems to confirm this configuration as a viable option.

Thank you!

Update: we have moved out from OVH. There were two major outages in less than two months and the only way to get a response was to ask a public question on twitter - they took long time to reply to tickets. 

I've very disappointed. 

Update: we have moved out from OVH. There were two major outages in less than two months and the only way to get a response was to ask a public question on twitter - they took long time to reply to tickets. 

I've very disappointed. 

hello

may i know where you moved your store?

what hosting you use now?

• 3 weeks later...