My site is terribly slow... HELP !

We have launched our site www.sureseller.in selling electronic accessories a couple of months back.

Right from the launch, we were facing issues of the site loading very very slow.

Initially we thought that it was because of the hosting provider (go daddy.com) and also because the hosting was done at a server in the US.

So, we changed our hosting provider to hostgator.in (which has its server here, in India).
But with not much results, the loading time is very much the same...

We have tried almost every rule in the book, with not much results.

We upgraded the prestashop version to 1.5.6 (which is the last release as of now), but again with very less results.

Somebody please help....we are on the verge of discontinuing with prestashop if this situation continues, (which is supposed to be a very good ecommerce platform), as the loading times of our site are putting us to a lot of embarrassment and shame in front of our customers ! 

Our site : www.sureseller.in

Hi, Thanks for the prompt reply.

No, we haven't enabled any caching options installed. Cache is through File System, as we are on shared hosting, and our hosting provider allows these Caching options (APC, X Cache & Memcache etc) only on dedicated hosting.

As of now, we have only about 220 products.

Thanks

You should compress your images. To optimize time to first byte (TTFB) problem, you should search for a good provider in India, or where you are selling mainly your products. To send the queries around the world is not really a good idea, each back-bone and server one request has to pass to reach your domain goes at the cost of time.

See here: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/140117_7F_M1P/

I would not worry about compressing images or anything like that now.

Your problem is the server is not generating the page fast enough.  its take 12 seconds for a page to be generated, before even the JS, CSS, images start loading. 

What about compiling templates? are they set correctly?

I know godaddy and hostgator are not great performance servers, but they shouldn't be this slow.

See here a good tutorial for to speed-up your shop. If all this do not help you should change to another provider, capable to host Prestashop with more flexible server settings.

http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS15/System+Administrator+Guide#SystemAdministratorGuide-Fine-tuning%26performances

Edited by selectshop.at (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Quick check list:

• Template Cache - Set to Recompile templates if the files have been updated 
  • Enable CCC for CSS
  • Enable CCC for Javascript
  • Try setting APC caching to "Disabled" 

post-269828-0-81438400-1390939032_thumb.png

A good tool to test site speed is Pingdom Tools - here: http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/

We have many site running over 200 products with speeds under 3 seconds on most.. Prestashop IS a fast platform... :)

Nick

Edited by Teapot Creative (see edit history)

We have many site running over 200 products with speeds under 3 seconds on most.. Prestashop IS a fast platform... :)

Nick

Hi Nick,

3 seconds for a page with more or less 200 products ? this is not really a good performance and could be better if your server is optimized.  ;)  I have 3 seconds for 10.000 products (plus 300 filter options) and for about 200 products a parse of only 0,5 seconds.

And no Prestashop needs a speedy, special server, as well as optimizations if you are running bigger shops. On 90% of shared servers Prestashop don't have the speed it can have when you are using VPS or own server.

If you have APC enabled on the server, so it should be activated to get performance. Only if you don't have any caching module installed on the server you better should deactivate the feature.

Regards

Conny

Edited by selectshop.at (see edit history)

Stay away from the File system cache. Enable the prestashop cache option at the top , then the CCC options , and that should be enough. Make sure force compile is off.

After doing all this, make sure you click on the button 'clear and autoload cache' , then things should be faster. Basically do what everyone else has said above.

Edited by indus (see edit history)

Hi Nick,

3 seconds for a page with more or less 200 products ? this is not really a good performance and could be better if your server is optimized.  ;)  I have 3 seconds for 10.000 products (plus 300 filter options) and for about 200 products a parse of only 0,5 seconds.

And no Prestashop needs a speedy, special server, as well as optimizations if you are running bigger shops. On 90% of shared servers Prestashop don't have the speed it can have when you are using VPS or own server.

If you have APC enabled on the server, so it should be activated to get performance. Only if you don't have any caching module installed on the server you better should deactivate the feature.

Regards

Conny

Hi

Yes totally agree most PrestaShops are sub 3 sec.. and yes sub 1 sec is def achievable on standard server set ups.

Nick

• 3 months later...

Thanks to one and all for you help regarding this topic!

I have solved this problem by doing the following:

1. Optimised images

2. Turned OFF Cache (Yes, this helped in speeding up)

3. Enabled CSS for CSS and Javascript

these helped me solve the problem to some extent, but ultimately I had to CHANGE my hosting provider and it helped a lot.

the loading times of my site are around 3 to 4 secs compared to 13 to 14 secs earlier.

Thanks a lot all of you for your help !

• Like 1

I just reviewed your shop.  in e-commerce, 3-4 seconds is not so good for 1) visitor experience and 2) seo

Did you have issue using CCC for .js and .css files?

You will get a good result if you can CCC your .css and .js  files

back office-->adv parms-->performance (see screen shot for what I recommend) 

05.22.2014-07.44.png
http://screencast.com/t/zfmg5NgePLZ