Only non www domain works properly? How to make both work?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could shine some light on a problem I am having.

I have my shop up and running. I noticed that it was myshop.com instead of www.myshop.com so I tried changing it to www.myshop.com, however this reeked severe havock and I immediately changed back.

Right now it is functional at myshop.com, however some links Google Webmaster tools picks up are www.myshop.com/path and they don't work (404 page), however the url www.myshop.com redirects to myshop.com for the index.

I have friendly URLs.

Running 1.5.x.

Any ideas? Is this common?

Thanks in advance.

roflmyeggo

You should, for to avoid double content in search engines and punishment, select one of them.

Seems that your provider or admin of your URL has opted for the shortcode (without www). There are two options to re-write domains without www: 1) directly on DNS-Panel of the URL 2) or as rewrite on the .htaccess of the Host. Check your settings in: Advanced settings -> SEO & URL's if you choosed for with www or without www. If you use the shortcode (better for SEO) so you have to add there the domain WITHOUT www.

Never use a mix of both. If you opt to use the shortcode domain so add to your shop-htaccess the following line.

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.yourdomain.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*) http://yourdomain.com/$1 [R=301]

All URL's indexed by the serps and also links to your page indexed WITH www will from now on rewritten to the shortcode (without www) and do not punish or take any affect related to double content.

In addition change also the domain at google webmaster tools.

Edited by selectshop.at (see edit history)

Hey selectshop,

Thanks so much for the help. That makes sense! I changed my domain with the code you gave me and added it to my htaccess. 

Do I change my domain at google webmaster tools to the shortcode with the www?

Thanks!

eggo

Hi eggo,

depends on which of one versions you want to use from now on. If you changed your domain (.htaccess and shop back-end) to be without www. so yes. On Google-Webmaster you should also indicate that your Domain should be crawled without the www.

Add both domains (with and without) to your Webmaster account and make a re-direction there to the one you want to be indexed. BUT THIS ONLY IF YOUR site is already well indexed in Google ! If your are beginning and your site is not already completely indexed (only a few links), so you don't need to add to dashboard the second account. Google will rewrite by his own and new lines in .htaccess the wrong indexed links, but this will take time...

Take a look here: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/44231?hl=en

Best regards

Conny