PayPal Module 3.5.1 Support for Funding Failure Error (10486)?

novaedge

We have a store that is running PS 1.5.4.1 with PayPal module 3.5.1. We sell internationally and we are getting lots of PayPal "funding failure" errors (10486), particularly for clients in some countries.

We recently upgraded our store, so this is a new error for us and causing us much headache to contact users manually and get properly paid.

This error and its recommended handling is described in the following PayPal API doc:

https://developer.paypal.com/webapps/developer/docs/classic/express-checkout/ht_ec_fundingfailure10486/

The gist of the article is that the payment handler is supposed to detect the presence of the 10486 "funding failure" error and redirect the user back to PayPal (up to 2 more times) so that they get the PayPal payment error and select another funding source.

Does anyone know if this error handling process workflow will be supported by the PayPal module in any future release?

Thanks for your time and attention.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem. L_ERRORCODE0 -> 10486

From Paypal website:

"Overview:

DoExpressCheckout will now return an additional error code, 10486 only for Express Checkout implementations using the PaymentAction of Sale. On receiving this error code, the merchant should redirect the buyer back to PayPal using the existing Express Checkout token. On the PayPal page, the buyer will be presented with an error message explaining the reason for the decline. Also on this PayPal page, the buyer will be given the option to select another funding source or add a new one. After the buyer changes the financial instrument, the merchant can reattempt sending the payment and completing it successfully.

Note: This feature makes no changes to the current token expiry period.

Possible reasons for payment failure include:

• The billing address associated with the Financial Instrument could not be confirmed
  • The transaction exceeds the card limit
  • The transaction was denied by the card issuer

This feature is not applicable to:

• Auth/Capture (AC1)
  • Order/Auth/Capture (AC2)
  • Reference Transactions
  • Recurring Payments

Requirements:

• Confirm that your implementation uses the PaymentAction of Sale. If you are using Order or Authorization, for example, PayPal will not return this error code and you cannot use this feature.

"

Edited by Avatarmugs (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I suggest anyone that wants this fixed open up a bug report, with full detail etc. here:

http://forge.prestashop.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

if you take the intiative ps developers are pretty good about addressing issues.

please post the link to the forge report here so others can vote it up...

remember it's not a bug if there is no bug report on forge...

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem to my store! C'mon, this is an URGENT bug!

PLEASE TRY TO CONTACT THE MERCHANT:

• PayPal response:
  • TIMESTAMP -> 2013-08-26T08:11:27Z
  • L_ERRORCODE0 -> 10486
  • L_SHORTMESSAGE0 -> This transaction couldn't be completed.
  • L_LONGMESSAGE0 -> This transaction couldn't be completed. Please redirect your customer to PayPal.
  • L_SEVERITYCODE0 -> Error

• 1 month later...

It's a fews days that I get many of these L_ERRORCODE0 -> 10486

I did not understand clearly if it is a problem related to the customer or to the seller/paypal module.

Does it means that the buyer did not use a valid credit card/exceed credit card limit or it is a bug on paypal/prestashop side that should be corrected?

This page seems interesting: https://developer.paypal.com/webapps/developer/docs/classic/express-checkout/ht_ec_fundingfailure10486/

• 2 weeks later...

The error code 10486 can come from many different reasons. There is also a large discussion on it on the PayPal website. 

OK, there is a discussion, but I have a lot of the same errors on my website. How to find out what happen and how to resolve this problem?

PayPal response:TIMESTAMP -> 2013-10-23T10:28:21ZL
_ERRORCODE0 -> 10486L
_SHORTMESSAGE0 -> This transaction couldn't be completed.L_LONGMESSAGE0 -> This transaction couldn't be completed. Please redirect your customer to PayPal.L
_SEVERITYCODE0 -> Error

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

same thing happens on an old 1.4.11.0 installation

this is the error messages arriving from my store

PayPal response:
TIMESTAMP -> 2013-12-03T20:56:00Z
L_ERRORCODE0 -> 10486
L_SHORTMESSAGE0 -> This transaction couldn't be completed.
L_LONGMESSAGE0 -> This transaction couldn't be completed. Please redirect your customer to PayPal.
L_SEVERITYCODE0 -> Error

I have the module version 3.6 (now 3.6.1) and

Paypal said that this error is due to a credit card payment failure. Probably not enough money or some other limits from the company that released the card. 

This is what the've said to me after opening a ticket to their tech service.

• 1 month later...

Prestashop 1.5.4.1 and PayPal Module 3.6.1 Same error:

PayPal response:TIMESTAMP -> 2014-01-04T14:07:52ZL_ERRORCODE0 -> 10486L_SHORTMESSAGE0 -> This transaction couldn't be completed.L_LONGMESSAGE0 -> This transaction couldn't be completed. Please redirect your customer to PayPal.L_SEVERITYCODE0 -> Error

This error is also present in previous PayPal versions.

• 2 months later...

Just had this error on 

Version : 3.5.8  

Subbing for any updates..

PayPal response:TIMESTAMP -> 2014-03-11T05:29:42ZL_ERRORCODE0 -> 10486L_SHORTMESSAGE0 -> This transaction couldn't be completed.L_LONGMESSAGE0 -> This transaction couldn't be completed. Please redirect your customer to PayPal.L_SEVERITYCODE0 -> Error