An error occurred while sending e-mail to the customer.

I have seen that this is apparently a very common issue that many people have complained about, but have not seemed to get solutions. There have been more than one bug report of this issue and they were dismissed or closed with no resolution.

In back office (order tab) when I try to send a message to the customer, I sometimes get this error message and the email does not get sent:

"An error occurred while sending e-mail to the customer."

This problem occurs off and on with different customers. I did some trouble shooting and this is what I have figured out...

• This is not specific to any certain email domains.
  • It does not happen all the time, but most of the time.
  • The emails associated with the error are valid email accounts and I am able to communicate with them outside of the shop by other means of sending email.
  • Sometimes a specific email address will generate the error and sometimes it won't.
  • Emails generated by order status changes send with no problems. This is specific to the merchant to customer messaging tool.
  • SMTP settings are correct and the mail functions performs fine other than this problem.
  • It does not matter if I use an email template or not. The error occurs either way.
  • I just updated to the latest version of PS today and it did not correct the problem.

Well I can reproduce it. I get an error every time I try to use message tool in the AdminOrders tab. It pretty much isn't working at all now. I also noticed that the emails that are supposed to be sent out when a status is changed are not sending. But the email confirmation that come to admins for order receipts ARE being sent. I have also tried the following with no success:

• Upgraded to current PS version. (no change)
  • Disable custom modules. (no change)
  • Tried the php mailer as well. (no change)

At this point I am having to email clients manually in Microsoft Outlook every time there is any status change or message to be sent.

• 2 weeks later...

I have checked the server logs and there are no problems being generated. I even heavily tested sending emails and creating the in store error, but it still did not generate server errors in the logs. I also contacted hosting tech support to determine if maybe there is an issue with the mail server, but they can't find any problems on their end either.

I tried again to switch from the PHP mailer and back to SMTP mail. The first email I tried to send to a customer via the merchant order message went through ok. Then I tried to send a second message to the same customer and got the usual error message. "An error occurred while sending e-mail to the customer." All following tests produced the error message.

Again, the test email that you can send yourself via the email configuration page sends with no problems, regardless of using the PHP or SMTP method.

I would also like to point out that I have no problems sending and receiving emails with the same SMTP settings in Microsoft Outlook or with the online mail application provided by the web host. So I know the email server must be working fine. This has to be a problem somewhere between either Prestashop or its communication with the server.

• Merchant Order messages are only being sent out about 1% of the time now without generating an error.
  • We, admin, ARE getting the order confirmations emails.
  • Refund, order confirmation, and new account emails are being sent to customers ok.

Here are some of the places I have found other people having the same problem and have got no solution...

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/45141-help-with-sending-emails-from-back-office-error-reporting/

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/14018-customers-not-receiving-email/

http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCFI-1957

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/14053-serieux-bug-avec-email-1-error-1-an-error-occurred-while-sending-e-mail-to-the-customer/

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/3935-host-specific-email-problem/ (I read this one and think it is probably the same problem and not host specific)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

Ours is Version 1.3.3.0 and domain hosted at eukhost.com

store is www.handcraft.co.in

PHPMail function is disabled by our host for some security reasons.

In BO-Preference-Email we had to select option "Set my own SMTP parameters" and "both" [meaning Send e-mail as HTML and also as Send e-mail as Text]

Now issue is no notification is been sent from store. Neither to me nor to customer. Even test email configuration is also not working. Tomorrow our "Auction" is about to start and we are stuck at this issue.

Will you plz guide how to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Jessica,

In that case, can you please post this information to the bug report on the Forge that you linked above and request to have it reopened and reexamined by our development team?

-Mike

Thanks Mike.............how to post this to bug report? Can u send me link plz? And how much time they generally take to sort this out?

Hi Handcraft,

As I requested of Jessica above, please post this to the bug report to get it passed directly to our development team. If it is a bug, they will get to the bottom of this and fix it for you.

-Mike

Thanks Mike.............how to post this to bug report? Can u send me link plz? And how much time they generally take to sort this out?

It's the Forge link in Jessica's post here. In terms of timing, it depends on several factors, including your own responsiveness when it comes to answering our developer's questions because the first step is for them to replicate the error on their end so that they can isolate and resolve the issue.

-Mike

They are asking to login. Which login details are to be used? Forum? Or need to register there??

It's the Forge link in Jessica's post here. In terms of timing, it depends on several factors, including your own responsiveness when it comes to answering our developer's questions because the first step is for them to replicate the error on their end so that they can isolate and resolve the issue.

-Mike

• 4 months later...

I never did post this as a bug. I see many other people have posted it as a bug. Here is the thing... when I first posted this problem, it was for a site using an older version. I just set up an entirely different website on an entirely different hosting account, with the latest version of Prestashop, and I am still having this problem. No customer account creation confirmation, order confirmation, or order messages being emailed. But the test email works fine. I am using the php mailer on GoDaddy shared hosting.

I have hosted a directory script with GoDaddy a while back, and they will disable your email scripts without notifying you.

If it is fresh Prestashop install, everything should work. If you doubt this, borrow your friend's hosting account that is NOT on GoDaddy and test out a fresh Prestashop install to see if the email problem that you are encountering still exist.

Since email is a very critical to the success of Prestashop, you should definitely test out an installation on a different host.

I guess I am going to have to be more firm with GoDaddy tech support. I spoke to them before and they always said it was not an issue on their end. However, I have seen a lot of people with this issue are using GoDaddy, so I wouldn't be shocked if you are right. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have version 1.5.3 and I still have this exact same issue. I am able to send email from BO Tools->Email. But no email is being sent from eshop whatsoever. I remeber I was uploading new logo for emails and I changed color for emails. I am not sure if it is related or not.

But I am running it on my own virtual server, so "everything" happening on the server is under my "control". And afaik there is still no solution around... :-(

Please, can somebody help me figure out what's going on?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally appears that I got it to work with 1.5.4.0 and GoDaddy!

In /tools/swift/Swift/Message.php line #79

Change

$this->setFrom("");

To

$this->setFrom("[email protected]");

In /tools/swift/Swift.php after line 370

if (!($has_reply_to = $message->getReplyTo())) $message->setReplyTo($from);

Add the following code:

if (!$has_reply_to[0]) $message->setReplyTo($from->getAddress());

In /tools/swift/Swift/Plugin/MailSend.php line # 159

Add

$params = "";

SMTP Settings

Mail Domain Name: yourdomain.com (no www)

SMTP Server: smtpout.secureserver.net

SMTP User: your full email address

Password: your email password

Encryption: none

Port: 80

Make sure you have SMTP relay turned on in your GoDaddy email settings. You may need to buy additional relays. By default, most hosting with them comes with only 250 relays. You will have one relay for every email out. Remember, emails are generated for welcome email for new users, new customer email to you, wishlist alert emails, newsletter emails, order emails, order history change emails, etc. You will use up 250 fast!

Make sure you have SMTP relay turned on in your GoDaddy email settings. You may need to buy additional relays. By default, most hosting with them comes with only 250 relays. You will have one relay for every email out. Remember, emails are generated for welcome email for new users, new customer email to you, wishlist alert emails, newsletter emails, order emails, order history change emails, etc. You will use up 250 fast!

Edited by AFemaleProdigy (see edit history)

• 4 months later...

Finally appears that I got it to work with 1.5.4.0 and GoDaddy!

In /tools/swift/Swift/Message.php line #79

Change

$this->setFrom("");

To

$this->setFrom("[email protected]");

In /tools/swift/Swift.php after line 370

if (!($has_reply_to = $message->getReplyTo())) $message->setReplyTo($from);

Add the following code:

if (!$has_reply_to[0]) $message->setReplyTo($from->getAddress());

In /tools/swift/Swift/Plugin/MailSend.php line # 159

Add

$params = "";

SMTP Settings

Mail Domain Name: yourdomain.com (no www)

SMTP Server: smtpout.secureserver.net

SMTP User: your full email address

Password: your email password

Encryption: none

Port: 80

I've searched all over for a solution to this email problem but can't find anything that can help me!

Here is my scenerio. I had to install PrestaShop about 7 times, this past 3 days due to bugs in this platform. In previous installs, my test accounts received their registering notification emails. This time, nothing! Without touching any email settings.

I do receive notifications, from the Contact Us form, in the back end, but no emails!

After I send a test email from the Contact Us form, I get a http 505 error!

If I want to send a test email in the back end... nothing happens!

I've tried the above code changes... nothing happens!

I've tried all the SMTP settings ... nothing happens!

I have 1.5.5.0 in stalled and I'm using my domain name email.