change name of 'home' (top) category

Guest Stephen Bromfield

Hi MontyVeda,

You can't change the top level category from the back office, but you can do it in the database. If you look for the table called "ps_category_lang"(it maybe a little different if you db prefix is not ps) you can edit the name there.

Hope that helps.

-Stephen

Hi MontyVeda,

You can't change the top level category from the back office, but you can do it in the database. If you look for the table called "ps_category_lang"(it maybe a little different if you db prefix is not ps) you can edit the name there.

Hope that helps.

-Stephen

Hi Stephen, and thanks for your reply... I'm relatively new to Prestashop and database websites in general... and therefore am not sure where to look for this. I've done a search for "ps_category_lang" in my website files... but no joy.

Thanks DaveL... works a treat

any idea where i can change it on the horizontal menu? (http://www.blinds.or...venetian-blinds)

You may have to do this as a .tpl file edit but first, check in Tools>translations>Module translations to see if there is a blocktopmenu section. If not this menu may have been included with your theme.

Look in yourtheme/modules id there is one. in that modules folder there may be a blocktopmenu.tpl file which you would need to edit.

Failing that look in /modules/blocktopmenu/blocktopmenu.tpl and make the edit there.

You will be looking for the word 'Home' obviously and you will need to change that to 'Shop'.

If you are unsure how to do this send a copy of the file to me at dave @ dvdlock dot net and I will do the edit for you.

Thanks Dave and Stephen... I've been though all the possible TPL's and other files in the block top menu folder, nothing with a 'home' to hack, so it must be drawing that from the Database. However in the meantime I've decided to put the shop categories on the menu and to (possibly) remove the home link altogether.

• 2 months later...

hi i found a good solution

open the following file

themes/your-template/modules/blockuserinfo/blockuserinfo.tpl

scroll down and you'll see this code bellow, just replace the Home title or any other links , (i marked in red)

hope it help.

<ul>

<li {if $page_name eq 'index'}class="select"{/if}><a href="{$link->getPageLink('index.php')}">{l s='Home'}</a></li>

<li {if $page_name eq 'sitemap'}class="select"{/if}><a href="{$link->getPageLink('sitemap.php')}">{l s='Sitemap'}</a></li>

<li {if $page_name eq 'new-products'}class="select"{/if}><a href="{$link->getPageLink('new-products.php')}">{l s='New Products'}</a></li>

<li {if $page_name eq 'about-us'}class="select"{/if}><a href="{$link->getPageLink('cms.php?id_cms=4')}">{l s='About Us'}</a></li>

<li class="{if $page_name eq 'contact-form'}select{/if}"><a class="last" href="{$link->getPageLink('contact-form.php')}">{l s='Contact'}</a></li>

</ul>

• 1 year later...

hi i found a good solution

open the following file

themes/your-template/modules/blockuserinfo/blockuserinfo.tpl

scroll down and you'll see this code bellow, just replace the Home title or any other links , (i marked in red)

hope it help.

this is hardcoded menu in your theme and this is not pr0perly answer...

in older versions of presta (for example 1.4) you can change this in back office (translations->front office->header) but now (I don't know why we can't do this... but if you want to change Home name in the Top panel to whatever you want you can go to phpMyAdmin -> ps_category_lang

Edited by Epredator (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

In Prestashop 1.5.4.0 go to Back Office - Catalog - Categories - click Edit on the right. You will see the name of your top category on the first line. Just change it to whatever you need. The change will show in your Front Office including site map and top horizontal menu. Hope this helps.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Not seeing in 1.5.6.2... never mind, I must need glasses

In Prestashop 1.5.4.0 go to Back Office - Catalog - Categories - click Edit on the right. You will see the name of your top category on the first line. Just change it to whatever you need. The change will show in your Front Office including site map and top horizontal menu. Hope this helps.

Edited by mtporter (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

There are a few places where you need to change the "Home". The breadcrumbs translation is one of them. The other is the database:

A default PS has the Root & Home Category. These cannot be changed and will not be visible on the FO. But the blocktopmenu uses the Home category to display all the subcat and subsub cats in the menu.

If you want to change the name of the Home category then you need to do this in the database.

Table: category_lang :

ID 1

Column: name

You need to change all the rows with ID 1. Each language has its own name.

Remember that the blocktopmenu will display ALL sub & subsub categories at once. So this will only work on a "mega" menu. Adapt the CSS when needed.

Edited by uddhava (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

There are a few places where you need to change the "Home". The breadcrumbs translation is one of them. The other is the database:

A default PS has the Root & Home Category. These cannot be changed and will not be visible on the FO. But the blocktopmenu uses the Home category to display all the subcat and subsub cats in the menu.

If you want to change the name of the Home category then you need to do this in the database.

Table: category_lang :

ID 1

Column: name

You need to change all the rows with ID 1. Each language has its own name.

Remember that the blocktopmenu will display ALL sub & subsub categories at once. So this will only work on a "mega" menu. Adapt the CSS when needed.

Hello, I faced the same problem as topic starter, I went into my SQL database and changed the name of "name" columns according to your message:5XshQj.jpg

But for some reason when I checked my site the initial name of those categories remained the same! What could be the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

You may have to do this as a .tpl file edit but first, check in Tools>translations>Module translations to see if there is a blocktopmenu section. If not this menu may have been included with your theme.

Look in yourtheme/modules id there is one. in that modules folder there may be a blocktopmenu.tpl file which you would need to edit.

Failing that look in /modules/blocktopmenu/blocktopmenu.tpl and make the edit there.

You will be looking for the word 'Home' obviously and you will need to change that to 'Shop'.

If you are unsure how to do this send a copy of the file to me at dave @ dvdlock dot net and I will do the edit for you.

Hi

could you please help me with this? I don't know how to do this at all...

• 3 years later...

Hi, you can simply create a new category with your name (Category Product - ex.) and move all category in there. In BlockTopMenu put the category like other. You can see at: axel-company.ro . I hope this if what you want :D