[Solved] Plesk Or Cpanel Vps For My Ps 1.4 Shop?

Hi folks,

I will upgrade from shared hosting to a VPS server for my PS 1.4 shop - but I am unsure if I should go with cPanel or Plesk?

I am currently used to workign with cPanel, but the VPS package with cPanel costs double of the same config with Plesk.

So my question would be, does anyone have a recommendation regarding Plesk or cPanel?

Does it matter? Or not at all?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Dan

Hi, thanks for the recommendations. I was thinking about getting VPS on myhosting.com, the Debian VPS which has PHP 4.x and 5.x support, Apache 2.x and InnoDB support.

What do you think, is that good for PS 1.4 ?

I am also thinking Plesk should be ok, it's just that the huge price difference made me unsure, as cPanel costs almost double.

this is out current configuration from a ps standpoint:

Server software version: Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)

PHP version: 5.3.8

MySQL version: 5.0.77

we run PHP as a fast cgi.

typically once you step into vps, you are effectively running your own server, while your provider may supply some support you are (unless you pay for managed) responsible for your back ups, software bases, basically everything and honestly can be very time consuming. Also make sure to google your hosting providers smtp server complaints, ie. email taking 5-60 minutes for delivery. This is typically the biggest issue you will face.

Personally, if you are not going to run less than a couple domains, I'd find a hosting provider that meets your performance needs with simple interface and skip the vps environment, fun as it is, it can be very time consuming.

suerte!

Hi elpatron,

I was thinking about a managed VPS on myhosting.com - they've got great reviews, and I couldn't find any issues when googling for "smtp server complaints".

The reason I was thinking about VPS too was the ability to use memcache, which is not possible on shared hosting, at least not on Bluehost.

Best regards!

Dan

Hi elpatron,

I was thinking about a managed VPS on myhosting.com - they've got great reviews, and I couldn't find any issues when googling for "smtp server complaints".

The reason I was thinking about VPS too was the ability to use memcache, which is not possible on shared hosting, at least not on Bluehost.

Best regards!

Dan

I'm glad to hear no complaints with smtp server...as this is an BIG issue for many hosting providers....

have fun with your vps, it can be a labor of love...you will need to get putty, for shell access...it's handy as you can't (as far as I've seen) change permissions in plesk.

we enabled memcache, but also check your php buffering...most hosts give you a php.ini with little performance enhancements...

Thanks for those extra-infos; I think I might just hire someone who knows how to tweak a server for optimal Prestashop performance, rather than trying to figure myself. Once it's set up and running, I'll just follow the old IT addage, "don't fix it if it's not broken" and not touch the settings anymore! ;-)

Hehe, I would not take Euros either at the moment, look likes our currency is doomed - that is, if you believe S&P. ;-)

I actually might have found the cause for throttling on our shared hosting server, I believe it might be the caching, which causes too much server load. Turning caching off has accelerated page load, and by the looks of it, stopped CPU throttling too. If that really is the case, I might be able to wait another couple of years before needing my own VPS or dedicated server.