[COMMUNITY] Your ideas and suggestions for our new Addons site!

Hi everybody,

The PrestaShop team is currently working on updating the website for our Addons store. For this update, we would like to incorporate feedback from the community.

We would like to hear your relevant and constructive ideas and suggestions that would make it easier for contributors and provide a simpler process for customers.

We are interested in ideas relating to the front office, the submission of modules, communication between customers and contributors and more.

Please do not deviate from the subject of this thread, and please read through all previous posts before adding your own to avoid making duplicates. Posts that do not respect these rules will be deleted.

Thanks in advance for your contributions and suggestions!

Regards,

Mike and the rest of the PrestaShop Team

make sure the mod's are tested. i have bought mods's in the past from forum users that didn't do what was promised.

create a presrashop mod seal of approval. so people can see that the mod is tested and works as promised

add a rate this mod and or rate the guy/girl who made it.

have all support centralized on a separate forum. (not one different sites for every mod)

and keep all communication in English (not like on this forum were it can be hard to find the info you need. when you have an error.)

make it competitive with mod build contests.

create polls to find out what mod's people would like to have/buy.

Hello nostradamus,

I'm from the Addons team, one of the developer who's gonna work on the new version.

The support for all addons is made on http://addons.prestashop.com and nowhere else. You can exchange mails with us or directly with the developer of the module. We won't make any forum for support. If we do that, we will actually do the opposite of what you want.

All modules are tested by us before we accept to sell them. Customers say modules aren't working because we don't test them, and contributors say we make too much time to validate. This is very hard to find perfect balance but we work on it and this new website is also going to help us on this.

The informatic world is very special and something that works for me might not work for you, mostly because of dedicated server settings (apache - php). But sometimes, the problem comes from a mistake the customers made.

Prestashop is mostly a french company (by now we have Prestashop Inc in Miami rising up :) ) so we answer in french for our french customers, and we speak english for those who doesn't speak french. Remember that english isn't spoken by everybody in the world yet.

I've asked a few contributors about the rating thing, they seem to like that but I'd like to have more opinions about this

Thanks !

As a mod developer I find it a very good idea the ability to have some feedback out there. Positive or Negative.

In this way the buyers are better protected and developers can promote their work in a better way.

The only thing in the rating system I would like to propose is that negative critics must first be approved by Presta team (sure is a new responsibility and big load). So before something negative is out in the front, it better be correct.

Another idea that could probably be helpfull is to have an OS or PHP version field etc. to enter about the mods. For example a mod that is functional in a lamp server may not be as functional on a wamp server or vise versa.

That’s all I can think of now. If something else comes in my mind I ‘ll send it. :-)

By the way. LOVE PRESTA !

The only thing in the rating system I would like to propose is that negative critics must first be approved by Presta team (sure is a new responsibility and big load). So before something negative is out in the front, it better be correct.

Hi KostasX,

While I agree that it's important for accurate information to be posted about every product, if we are moderating negative reviews before posting it would not be appropriate to let positive reviews post immediately. Maybe we could consider a "report this review" button that could flag a post to have us look into it?

-Mike

@Mike and others,

We don't really plan on giving the possibility to leave comments and to show it to everybody.

The first points we decided are that we plan on showing a rating, notes (3/5 - 5/5) or stars with the number of people who voted. We had a few great ideas but we didn't even wrote it on paper yet so they are yet to be discussed and prepared. (Geez i'm afraid this sentence doesn't mean anything in english :'( )

We've had some great ideas but we haven't considered implementing them yet because we we still need to discuss each one as a team.

Edited by Mike Kranzler
I fixed it for you (I hope) (see edit history)

Hi there,

here what I'd like to see:

1. A kind of Ticket Support System for addons submission process
    all infos in one place including: submission date, status, email tester or response/requests/feedback box between tester and author.
  2. Rich-textareas already splitted in boxes for typing
    - addons introductions
    - features
    - browser/device compatibility
    - included files
  3. Input text for inserting demo url
  4. Email Notification when module/theme accepted.
  5. A faster system for updating a module/theme.
    Not so great thing waiting validation if I want to update only an image or a pdf guide.
  6. A different way while updating a module/theme: so that modules do not getting removed from listing when an upgrade has been submitted.
  7. A better threads system between author and customer: another ticket support system?
  8. Customer's point of view: themes section not so usable:
    - ajax pagination: you've to scroll up after clicking "next" or "previous"
    - images zoom doesn't fit screen resolution
    - too many themes with only a few modified hexadecimal colors fill pages and pages:
    I'm thinking about keeping the highest possible level of quality and choice on Prestastore.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

Hi!

I tried to contact you throught the contact botton on the prestashop site but i will make the same suggestion here.

I need a "booking" module. Yhe idea is to create a site that sells services, but to turn this idea real I need a booking module that can let me book a specific date and then the hour.

Imagine a boat trip, you'll need to chose a specific date and the you can chose a hour among all the hours availables.

It's possible to create a module like this, or do you know if there is already one?!

Many thanks

"A way to notify for module updates would be nice"

+1000 !!

I don't know why i can't see the mail of all of my customers (probably a choice when you buy a module).

So i can't contact them if there's a major bug, or a new version.

Even if the mail are not visible, a form to contact all buyers at the same time would be great.

Another very simple feature : a field allowing to set a title for every languages, just like the description.

Hi Mike, I have made 10+ orders on Add-Ons.. and notice that in the last few months when I pay via Paypal method, I receive a "There was a problem with your order" notification when returning to Prestashop. This always gets allowed, but it takes a good 1-3 hours before I can access my downloads. Paypal sends me the confirmed payment notification right away though!

I never used to have this issue until about 8 weeks ago. I wrote to your support contact email but never heard back... and have just had the same thing again now. I figure its a bug iwth your system when payments taken from Paypal method. Its unclear and annoying for a customer to go through this process as usually they want the software to add to their site when they purchase it.

Hope you can look into this, or resolve it when you re-do the e-commerce system.

Regards, Al

Fix the pagination so that when I am on page 7 of a filtered list of products and I click on the product details, and then click on the back link I don't get taken back to the first page of my filtered list of products!

Hi PurpleEdge,

We just fixed this over the weekend, please check it out on the Forge here.

-Mike

Two more feature requests:

1) At the "Sort options:" ( Popularity | Highest first | Lowest first) Add "Recently updated" for the modules that have new version recently released.

2) Add the ability to set a "service"/"patch" versions. For example if I've released version 1.2 of my module, the customers have reported bugs, and I've fixed them and released a "service" version 1.2.1. The customers that bought 1.2 should be able to download that "service release"/"patch release" for free.

You can just add a checkbox "[x] Patch release" and textbox or dropdown menu, so I can choose for which version is this patch. And of course this should notify the customers that bought 1.2 that a patch version is available.

• Like 1

Considering my experience as a Add-on Developer,

It would be great if we can improve on below ideas,

1) After Sales communication between Developer & customer

2) Before Add-on submission and Approval Communication between Add-on Developer and Prestashop Add-on Team

3) Sorting of Screenshot in Add-on Submission page

4) Back Button on Add-on Page

5) Direct communication way to Prestashop Add-on Team OR Customer

6) Add-on Rating System

7) Module update Notification

8) Broadcast Messaging to all my Customers who have purchased my module in case of emergency, so each customers will receive message on their dashboard.

Thanks,

Presta Expert

Hi PurpleEdge,

We just fixed this over the weekend, please check it out on the Forge here.

-Mike

Not sure it is the same problem, or perhaps not implemented yet, but the Prestashop website still returns to the first page when a product detail on page 7 is viewed and I hit the back button on my Firefox browser!

-> More granular specification for compatibility is required. Some modules/themes that say compatible with 1.4 may not work with 1.4.4.x for example. The contributors should specify all 4 levels in the versioning. After every minor release they should test their module/theme and declare whether it is compatible, just as they would do after major releases.

-> In sort options, what does Grade mean? Does it stand for rating?

What do Highest First and Lowest first mean? Do they refer to prices?

What does Popularity mean? Is it most downloaded? Most used? Most commented on? Most rated? Most highly rated? Most shared with friends? Can you be more specific?

-> There is ZERO support available at the addons site (ok, I exaggerate). Send a message to developer/PS team does not count as proper support for a community project.

There should be a forum, with each module/theme having a dedicated board. There can be many topics in each board. This way users can see what problems others are having, and in some cases help each other (just like they do on these boards). It will also provide a good feedback mechanism for developers who can easily see the concerns and ideas of users and thereby contribute more fruitfully. It will also serve as a place where prospective buyers could get a sense for the quality and functionality of the addon in the form of testimonials (this is in addition to a "star" rating system, which is an absolute must).

The link to each addon's board should be on that particular addon's page, perhaps alongside the contact developer.

-> An additional benefit of such forums could be when developers are not polyglots, customers could still benefit from their creativity as issues could be discussed among customers.

-> There are 5 different places for filtering and sorting options. I think that's crazy. This should be rationalized and combined onto a single area on the screen

-> Additional filter: Language?

-> What does the Advanced Search link do on the current site?

-> Tabs for user documentation, changelog, download stats over time...

-> Ability for customers to donate in case of free plugins.

-> Ability for developers to upload and customers to download multiple versions of the addon based on compatibility.

So, if I created a plugin for 1.4.5, and then when 1.5.1 is released, my plugin becomes incompatible and so I release a new version, then this new version should not replace the old version. Rather, the old version and new version should co-exist...rather like http://sourceforge.net/projects/gallery/files/

This is because the speed at which developers create updates and the speed at which merchants update their systems don't always match. Just look at Windows XP

-> Wordpress-like version-matching "working"/"not working" vote

-> See name of developer, instead of just "Developed by Community" on the addon's page. Name should be linked. Clicking should show the developer's other contributions, as well as overall rating.

-> Ability for customers to contribute translations.

-> Info on the date on which the file was uploaded should be available on the addon's page.

-> End the craziness with update options. PS is opensource and updates constantly. If you buy a module, you should be entitled to its forthcoming updates. Period. Without any complications.

-> Enable a buy one, use many licensing arrangement in addition to single user license. e.g. If you buy WPML you can use it on any number of websites. http://wpml.org/purchase/ Similarly when you buy Symantec Antivirus, you are allowed to use it on 3 computers. If the module developer wants to, then (s)he should be able to provide these licensing bundles.

The current developer contact lacks simple ticket functionality. You can ask questions and get answers but it is not sufficient for after sales support. It would be nice to have an open/close ticket functionality. The current system marks conversations that have not been answered yet. Sometimes you answer a question but you need to get back to it later, so you need the conversation to be marked open. And sometimes the customer gets back to you just to say the problem is solved and you need to close it.

Not sure it is the same problem, or perhaps not implemented yet, but the Prestashop website still returns to the first page when a product detail on page 7 is viewed and I hit the back button on my Firefox browser!

This is because pagination is managed in AJAX, and the "back" event is not managed.

AJAX pagination is bad practice, because you can't bookmark the page (there is no "page=X" parameter in the URL).

• 3 weeks later...

Oh God yes...

Please... a module to edit the CONTACT FORM!

And a module to add a CAPTCHA device to said contact form (that works with latest version)

And an update to the ADVERT module so that more individual banners and links (why not make it a CMS page?) can be added? For example, it would be nice to be able to add a "live chat" button and the security certificate logo.

And just some other feedback, I think all support and forum posts should be required to be in the Peruvian aboriginal language of Chamicuro.

Hi there,

here what I'd like to see:

1. A kind of Ticket Support System for addons submission process

all infos in one place including: submission date, status, email tester or response/requests/feedback box between tester and author.
  2. Rich-textareas already splitted in boxes for typing

- addons introductions
    - features
    - browser/device compatibility
    - included files
  3. Input text for inserting demo url
  4. Email Notification when module/theme accepted.
  5. A faster system for updating a module/theme.

Not so great thing waiting validation if I want to update only an image or a pdf guide.
  6. A different way while updating a module/theme: so that modules do not getting removed from listing when an upgrade has been submitted.
  7. A better threads system between author and customer: another ticket support system?
  8. Customer's point of view: themes section not so usable:

- ajax pagination: you've to scroll up after clicking "next" or "previous"
    - images zoom doesn't fit screen resolution
    - too many themes with only a few modified hexadecimal colors fill pages and pages:
    I'm thinking about keeping the highest possible level of quality and choice on Prestastore.

Thanks for reading.

Totally agree with all this.

I will add some:

1. Remake description page, edit description in html mode without see it right away made us update themes couple of times only for description.

2. Ability to set image order and cover.

3. Check list with supported browsers for themes, so we can choose which browsers are compatible.

4. Technical skills required from customers.

5. Ability to offer services from developer (like install service for additional charge)

6. Buyout unique price option.

7. Ability to embed video presentation from youtube will be great.

8, More frequently updated Theme validator.

9. Set of rules how to test themes/modules from developers so they correspondent to PrestaTeam test rules to minify declines.

10. Ability to update the description, images without getting to drop the theme from the market, also when the theme/modules are updated.

11. Developers sub-forum where customers can communicate with the theme/module developers so we can exclude duplicated questions over and over, like the one on theme forest where each theme has sub forum.

That's for now :)

I think prestastore need to add a option to delete the message from customers qhen the problem is solved.

Another thing, the days of a ticked is open. The developer must reply it inb no more than 3 days, if dont answer, the customer can request a refound.

A live chat maybe is more fast in some cases for support (like in prestashop)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm currently in the middle of having a reasonably sized moan about the addons site, but here's hopefully something positive out of it..

The support system definitely needs an overhaul as other people have indicated. How about having a ticketing system which cross references the order no. to the module purchased and informs the developer automatically if the request is about the functionality or installation?

A lot of time seems to be wasted by the Addons team trying to be first line support when they obviously are either understaffed or not well placed to do it. This frustrates the customer as it can take a long time for things to be resolved and can restrict the amount of useful feedback going to the developer.

Maybe a slightly controversial suggestion, but not without it's benefits;

Some kind key-signing mechanism for protection of downloaded products. Each download would include a unique key to activate. This would help prevent unauthorised distribution of modules or use on multiple sites by 'checking in' with PS with the unique key and either the IP, or perhaps the nameserver.

Refunded products could also then be locked out from use.

Naturally, this would have to implemented carefully. Being overly draconian with enforcement and deactivating perfectly legal modules will have a very negative effect, but done properly this would be of great benefit to developers.

Making this product protection available only on the Prestashop Addons will give developers much greater incentive to use the site rather than set up their own store and keep the 30% for themselves.

• 2 weeks later...