First time user questions

Hi all

I found Prestashop after giving up with Opencart and continuous issues with my 1and1 dedicated server.

I have a couple of questions before I persevere with Prestashop.

Why do you supply it with data that is virtually inpossible to delete without installing the hard to find database cleaner? Some members recommend that the database cleaner is not used as it can cause issues in the future.

I have added a category called and formatted as Napkins

Why does it now appear as NAPKINS after adding it to the shop using the Main Menu module?

It is ridiculous to capitalise every letter like this.

Can that be changed? If not I will be looking for another shop solution.

regards

Trevor

Your in for a fun ride bro! Make sure you are isolating that dedicated server into a normal container with normal php and a prestashop container with the prestashop rules. Almost 90% of the stuff people who  uses dedicated servers for do not like prestashops PHP needs. If ya look at some of my posts you can find a PS php checker i modded off a genius. You can also find hours of video of learning this the hard way.

Your first questions answer is it is controlled by the theme. Yes, it can be changed via custom mod or change theme.

As to your second question that is theme controlled also. In prestashop 1.7.42  every time you change themes it will reload all modules and  dependencies for that theme and here is the crappy part it will overight your custom.js and custom.cs file like it was never there. I hate this about PS. It also just hooks its modules and does not unhook or uninstall the other themes.

So day 1 exploring you may load 5 free themes to find out you just impregnated your ps with alot of hooked modules that swapping themes does not unhook.

This is no where near as elegant a theme swapper as WordPress.

I have lost hours of work to css mods by saying did theme X have that? Swap.. OMG its all gone.

Put up a test site, Install 1 theme like it install it on the clients. If do not like uninstall it. Then add another. NEVER have more then classic + 1 theme in the swap pane as you will run into issues. Even the 119$ themes operate the same way.

Feel free to hit me up for any info on this journey. PS is worth the headache but the learning curve is FREAKING STEEP as the admin

Hi

I really appreciate you taking the time out to reply to my moaning.

I like  a lot of what I am seeing in the admin interface and will be persevering with it.

Last nights fun and games was trying to figure out why editing a product title didn't appear to change it, this was because of the two languages installed.

And both had to be edited. I deleted the non relevant 2nd language to stop that ever happening again.......

Then an hour or two wasted because the Customer service tab was timing out due to incorrect imap  settings entered.

I have never ever had to edit a database to get a simple mistake corrected before.

First thing is to look for your php checker I think.

Hey bro this prestashop plays outside the rules of support desk tickets.

The yum package you install will dictate if you can use memcached or opcache which i prefer.

if you have opcache or the other zencache on the php checker will just tell you the memchached is off. It never pulls checks to see if the others are on.

My server says same thing

The memcached is not active probably due to your selection of these

Web server Apache
PHP Type CGI with Apache Worker or another webserver

my settings are

http://prntscr.com/l5ntky

and I am running a yum install of opcache with php7.2

You can do a yum search php to get a list of what your dedicated has access to. I had to use a Redhat distro to get what i needed as it was not in the normal repos for my server. I am on Centos 7.5 though and I hope you have better luck.

http://prntscr.com/l5nu32

I am not on a cpanel whm server. You will not find those config tabs in it. As a dedicated server, your gonna have to really work to get your container ready to host prestashop.

My solution was to use Plesk on the container, which gives me those nice guis you see and way less stress.

Ideally if your doing what I think you do, selling web jobs like us, you will need to containerize that dedicated to  run your normal cpanel whm whmcs  - on this you can host wordpress sites and such. on the other container you need to set it up to only host prestashop cause it is SO dang different the memory requirements alone will kill a shared host or a badly configured VPS when the client hits generate and has 15 colors and 5 sizes.

That will allow you to sell what ever job lands in your lap.

Note IT support teams have zero clue that PS 1.7.4.2+ is different on a php requirement level and will try to convince you this is not necessary but for sanity I assure you it is.

Edited by jstillings1 (see edit history)

I believe the php checker is a tad old and was written for when the requirements were able to be run on a  typical shared server running cpanel most of those do not even allow opcahe or zencache to be installed  hence the checker doesn't look for it.

Since your on a hosting equipment account you will have access to things most don't.

Hi

Sadly I am not doing what you supected  :pmsl:

I have a dedicated server to run my vbulletin forum from, a few web sites for fellow engineers, a few web sites for me and now she who must be obeyed has decided I am going to design a shop for her so she can sell all the items she just bought :sob:

So memcached was not really needed then. I already have opcache on the server.

Well now I have both selectable.

It was just a matter of manually adding it to Plesk as it isn't a module that can just be added.

So some command line work and added extension=memcached.so to the 7.2.10 php.ini file.

But it was a bit of a phaff gathering all the required info from various sources............

I would love to correct the Shop Parameters/Contact button that has changed itself to say CMS page.

What the hell did I do to allow that to happen?????

regards

Trevor

Fun!  What theme ya got installed? .

Your gonna need atom  from atom.io and add these

http://prntscr.com/l5oz1r

That will enable you to edit smarty tpl files which is what is your view for prestashop uses

Depending on your theme, the view your looking for is in the Backoffice or Admin folder depending on your install .

It will be found under Backoffice/theme/ and the name of your theme/. The one named default has the code you need to change your theme's tpl for that section back mod back to.

What I normally do is zip the backoffice dir and then download it and then open the folder in atom and use the search directory feature to find the line of code that matches the error on my screen ie your 'CMS Page'

But now your getting into theme modification and people make a living off that so I will have to stop with the advice on that and just say it's in the theme!

Cool info musicmaster thanks for that! I will check it out. The coding in 1.7 is a wild ride but the end user experience on the backoffice of the shop we built has been fantastic. Straight out of college and she was 100 percent using it by day 3 with confidence. The big box guys can't even claim that after weeks.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am actually liking the software more and more each day.

Did a live Pay Pal transaction that worked perfectly.

I was not expecting to be able to set the order to refunded and have the shop tell Pay Pal to refund the money, which they did, automatically.

Very impressive. I only have Xcart and Opencart knowledge so this is a steep learning curve.

I have the default theme and have only added a few modules myself, Pay Pay and EU Cookies Law.

I have disabled some modules and I have also deleted some modules.

I have the default Contact Form module and Contact Information module installed and active.

Doesn't seem to be any way to determine which modules I deleted as I have cleared the logs at some point........