Installing PrestaShop on a Windows 2012 R2 Server with Plesk for Web Services

I am planning to install Prestashop on a VPS Windows Server 2012R2 in order to have stock information "online" from an ERP System installed on the same Server on SQL 2008 Standard edition. The Server will have a Plesk Onyx installation for managing web-services.

Am i on the right path ?? or must i take something under consideration.

Server's info: 10Cpus, 50GBs of Ram and 1,2 TB SSD, 1Gbit Ethernet

Edited by Avi (see edit history)

Please don't use Windows. Windows servers are only 100% compatible with Microsoft products. I've run one of my bigger Prestashop shops for one year on IIS 6/IIS7. The result was not enough satisfactory. Each module, addon you install or activate, each thing you change on back-office you will run into endless writing problems. Windows has not the possibility to set writing rights flexible as you need, this means by file. You can only set general writing rights. So it is not suitable for Prestashop, cause it needs to be flexible.

If it is really necessary to use Windows Server, so go with KVM or if Windows than use Prestashop installed in a linux stack on virtual box. This could be a solution. But better is to install Prestashop directly on a Linux server.

2 hours ago, Avi said:

The Server will have a Plesk Onyx installation for managing web-services.

I have not used Plesk on windows.  What is the web service stack, is it still apache, nginx, php, mysql?  If so, that would eliminate the http rewrite concerns, since apache/nginx will handle it.

However if the only reason you are using windows, is because of the existing SQL server database, is that really reason enough?  You are likely far better to use a unix derivative (like centos) for your Prestashop store, and just make a connection to the remote SQL server database when needed.

• 1 year later...
On 11/3/2017 at 3:27 AM, Avi said:

I am planning to install Prestashop on a VPS Windows Server 2012R2 in order to have stock information "online" from an ERP System installed on the same Server on SQL 2008 Standard edition. The Server will have a Plesk Onyx installation for managing web-services.

Am i on the right path ?? or must i take something under consideration.

Server's info: 10Cpus, 50GBs of Ram and 1,2 TB SSD, 1Gbit Ethernet

I am also making a connection between prestashop PhpMyadmin and a third party inventory program that uses sql server. 

Can you briefly explain what you did? Im thinking of using Azure, but have never used it or anything.

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2019 at 5:18 PM, Juan Rios1 said:

I am also making a connection between prestashop PhpMyadmin and a third party inventory program that uses sql server. 

Can you briefly explain what you did? Im thinking of using Azure, but have never used it or anything.

You should use the open api "webservice". For windows/azure you should ask for support on windows forum. For how to prepare the webservice for Prestashop you will find docu here: https://devdocs.prestashop.com/