gift certificate or credit

Go to Payment > Vouchers > Add new to create a voucher. There are many options. You can leave "To be used by" on "-- All customers --" if you want any customer to be able to enter the voucher code, or select only a specific customer who can enter the voucher code.

Hi,

I notice that the voucher is not like a gift card where the balance on the gift card is deducted with each purchase. That's not the function i was looking for. I am looking for a way to give customer a "credit" balance in their account, and this amount is reduced with each purchase.

Example:

Amount purchased $10.00
Gift card $25, used $10.00
Balance on the card $15.00 to be used for future purchases.

Also, I would like to know if customers can purchase gift cards and add it to the cart? If so how do i set that up?

Thank you

I thought that's the way vouchers worked already, but if it isn't, then it's not possible in PrestaShop to have a voucher that can only be partially spent and then regenerated with a smaller amount. I'm not aware of any modules that do it either. There is a paid Gift Card module available, but I think it just lets you buy a gift certificate, which automatically generates a voucher and sends it in an email to the customer, but I think the voucher would act the same way it currently does in PrestaShop.

Because the problem with this is that, if a customer wants to place an order of $50 and got a coupon for $100, he cannot only use $50. He'll be forced to use up the entire amount on one single purchase...

Would a credit note solve the problem? Or is there any other ways around this?

And how can i setup to allow customers to buy gift certificates for someone else?

thanx

It would be nice to be automated but for now, does this work (scenario below), or am I forgetting some part?

What if person A orders a $100 gift card. Then manually go create it the voucher for $100 and he can email it to his friend B, or I can email it to B for him. Making the voucher be "open to use by anyone" instead of tied to a specific account. (Or maybe I manually make an account with B's email address and name for the voucher to get tied to?) Then B comes to site and his order after shipping and tax is $55. So then I manually have to recognize that I need to make B a new voucher for $45 so he can spend it next time. So I email him the new code, or even better if I can reuse the same code so it's simpler for him. If he doesn't spend all $45 then I have to make him a third voucher.

(If he wants to spend $120 in his first purchase, can he use the $100 up and pay the balance of $20, as if his order was only $20?)

I've seen a couple of gift card modules on prestastore.com; however, I haven't been able to confirm if they allow for cumulative reductions. They seem to allow a customer to buy "gift cards" and it automatically generates them and sends them to the customer, but I don't know if the module is only responsible for automatically generating the gift cards or if it also tracks the amount and is able to subtract the difference from order to order.

I think they do not allow it, and they just automate vouchers. Because there are other threads on here where people said they purchased a module and it didn't do what they wanted. And many people are looking and hoping for a good gift cert module. One or two are supposedly in the works, but who knows how long it would take. One of the programmers is planning to charge I believe and the other is free? I am not sure, I didn't read carefully since they aren't near completion. There wouldn't be such demand and interest in writing new modules to sell, if there was already a good solution. Of course anyone can let me know if I am wrong... I would like to find a good solution or a temporary okay solution.

• 1 month later...

I use Gift Vouchers on my site this way:

Go to http://www.officetemplates.org/gift-certificate-templates-2.html
and make up your vouchers as you need, leaving a space on the vouvher for a voucher number (I just changed the word group to number). Using print screen you can make an image of each denomination.

Add a new category "Gift Vouchers" to your shop, and list each denomination as a "product".

When a customer buys one you can make up a voucher (Under the "payment tab in admin). Use this number on the vouvher template from above if you wish to email them an actual voucher (just convert to PDF before you send it).
Or you can simply email the voucher number to the buyer, who can then pass it on.

The recipient simply uses this voucher to offset their purchase in the form of a credit.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, we just added gift vouchers. Quite a bit of hacking but it is fully automated (sending emails with voucher) and allows vouchers to be used multiple times to finish any remaining value on the voucher. It is not in the form of a module but if you take a look at the site (Mondizen) you can get a good idea of how it works. For specific questions on implementing it just let me know.

• 1 month later...

Just to confirm, if I want to make a unique "gift certificate" voucher for a customer, that they can give as a gift to whomever they want, I create the voucher with a unique code, and make it available to all customers, BUT make it a one-time use only. Correct? If they don't use all the credit/value, I can simply recreate the voucher for the remaining amount.
Once it is used-up, I can delete the voucher.
Not automated, but it will work I suppose.
I just want to make sure that just because I make it available to all customers, all customers will not be able to see it. ie the voucher code is only seen by the people I send it to... correct?

If I want to sell a gift certificate, I can make such a product and zero-rate it for shipping (ie send it via email). Then use whatever template I want to create the thing with the voucher code I designed for any particular one.
Manual solution, but at 5 minutes of work, it's still faster than shipping or gift-wrapping.
I look forward to any comments,
Cheers.

That should work. Only people you send the voucher code to will see it. Not sure if you can recreate a voucher with the same code - you might need to create a completely new voucher for the remaining amount. Customers may be a little surprised by the delays and it might be a little confusing regarding the new voucher for the remaining amount. But if you don't want to hack the code it seem to be a reasonable compromise.

• 3 months later...

Hi all it seems as though there is a need to have a gift voucher system.
This may be of help to you:
1. Using PHPmyAdmin, edit the DB - go to table discount_category and add a category. I used 4 for category ID and 1 for language ID (english) so you will need to use the right language ID for your setup.
You will also need to add the name of the voucher type (gift certificate or whatever) to table discount_type_lang

2. create a category in your back office for Gift Certificates or whatever.

3. add products for gift certificates in various amounts - I use $25, $50, $100 and $150 - I have the last 3 on "sale" at a discount of 5%, 7.5 % and 10%.

4. When a GC is purchased on your site, create and print it, giving it a unique number and expiry date and state that it will be mailed (snail mail) to the purchaser or if they supply recipients name and address, then a personalised GC will be mailed to recipient.. This will get round the risks of PDF's being edited. I use an excel spreadsheet to keep a list of numbers issued as a matter of personal convenience.

5. Go into back office and go to payments>vouchers.
Created a new voucher with the unique ID number of the printed GC above, and select Gift Certificate from the drop down.
Go though the steps to set: a) qty - usually1, B) number of times it can be used - again 1, c) expiry dates as per printed version
Leave set as available to all customers, as there may not be a recipient name given on purchase and set voucher as 'enabled'.

6. When GC is redeemed it will show with the amount and number in checkout process.

7. make sure once redeemed, the vouched is disabled to prevent further use.(payments>vouchers)

This method does not allow for credits but you could do a re-issue of balance if you choose to do so.

I hope someone finds this useful - will consider writing a module if there is enough interest. :)

• 2 months later...
Hi all it seems as though there is a need to have a gift voucher system.
This may be of help to you:
1. Using PHPmyAdmin, edit the DB - go to table discount_category and add a category. I used 4 for category ID and 1 for language ID (english) so you will need to use the right language ID for your setup.
You will also need to add the name of the voucher type (gift certificate or whatever) to table discount_type_lang

chris, out of curiosity. what do you need step 1 for? we use the same approach as you, i.e. we have added 2 products which are basically (called) gift certificates at 2 different nominations. so when someone orders them we simply create a voucher in BO and send it, either by email or snail mail. so again, what does step 1 do?

phil

• 1 year later...

Hi Mark2 if you're around,

I'd be interested to know how you achieved the automatic gift voucher system on Mondizen:

http://www.mondizen.com/en/voucher/1102-gift.html

I can see how it's possible to manually create gift certificates (with optional auto-renewal of vouchers for unspent amounts using the "renew voucher" module here):

http://addons.prestashop.com/en/pricing-promotion/4553-renew-voucher.html

But it seems there's no way to do it all automatically at present. As noted, the existing gift cert modules (eg http://addons.prestashop.com/en/pricing-promotion/2376-gift-certificates.html) just automatically create 1-use vouchers, and the renew voucher module (unfortunately!) can't access these vouchers... otherwise you could make a workable system using the 2 modules.

So it seems at the moment you can either:

a) manually create vouchers, with the "renew voucher" auto-renewal to allow for credit, or

B) auto-create vouchers (using a paid gift certificate module) but have no option for customer credit.

Mondizen is the only site I've seen that has a fully-automated system. Mark2, please consider sharing your insights - the prestashop community will be eternally grateful!

• 1 month later...

I use Gift Vouchers on my site this way:

Go to http://www.officetem...emplates-2.html

and make up your vouchers as you need, leaving a space on the vouvher for a voucher number (I just changed the word group to number). Using print screen you can make an image of each denomination.

Add a new category "Gift Vouchers" to your shop, and list each denomination as a "product".

When a customer buys one you can make up a voucher (Under the "payment tab in admin). Use this number on the vouvher template from above if you wish to email them an actual voucher (just convert to PDF before you send it).

Or you can simply email the voucher number to the buyer, who can then pass it on.

The recipient simply uses this voucher to offset their purchase in the form of a credit.

BUT, you would specify that this is a single voucher? and it can only be used once? Otherwise, the customer can keep getting, say, a $10 discount on each of their orders. And so, if they don't use the entire voucher value, you would need to create a new voucher (or modify the value of the original) to reflect the residual value of the voucher? Seems like a lot of work.

Would be great if Prestashop could offer a checkbox for "Auto-Decrement", so that a voucher can decline in value with each use.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

This is what I did for gift cards see it here GIFT CARDS. and for digital gift card codes you can just add a voucher that is accessible to anyone but sell your code when they buy it they are buying the voucher code. Auto-incrementation would be a nice little feature to have if not all use by customer.

Edited by T-Bone (see edit history)