1.6 order control flow is BAFFLING. Someone explain

I have never wished so much ill-will on a developer before today.

I have no idea what PS people were thinking when they concocted this order management scheme.  I'm hoping someone can break it down for me since their documentation simply doesn't.

The statuses are more than just a status.  The functions available to you and even some things like auomatic stock management are tied into these "status" changes.

A status really should just be a notification to the user, but whatever.  Its fine... if it made any sense.

There's no flow.  I have NO idea what I'm supposed to click.  Delivered or shipped?  Since the store owner is unlikely to actually follow the shipment tracking (who has time for that?) when will they ever see it delivered?

And so on.  But my biggest issue right now is I have NO idea what order I'm supposed to do things to cancel an order.  Refund, then delete items then cancel?  Delete items, then refund, then cancel?  Cancel, then refund, then delete items?

I assumed it iddn't matter... oh, but it does.  I can't figure out when what or why, but I get HIGHER amounts of stock than I started with, so I think deleting the item adds the stock back in and then so does cancelling.

This really is the most convoluted POS (and I don't mean point of sale) I have ever come across.  I sorely wish I had started with the order management rather than working so hard to get my site looking how I wanted.  

Right now I hate you prestashop, I really do.  REALLY.  And hours have passed iwth my dozens of questions/posts and NOT ONE has been responded to.

This should be the flow

get the order -> it's automatically set to payment accepted/awaiting (depends on the method)

if awaiting, and it's bankwire, you need to set it to accepted once you get paid

then you set it to processing, while you are preparing it

when you send it, set it to shipped

Most of the merchants leave Shipped as last one, unless you want to try and implement this: http://nemops.com/order-received-button-prestashop/

• Like 1

What is the actual point of "processing"? What happens, precisely, at that step? Yet another unnecessary email to the customer, I'm sure... but anything else? Or can I skip to shipped?

I feel like giving the customer a $10 discount after the fact... how, exactly, and assuming paypal?

The difference between shipped and delivered...

Shipped = When the package leaves your store, warehouse etc...  this informs the customer that the package is on its way

Delivered  = When the package arrives at the customers shipping address.  ie.. Fedex, USPS, UPS 'delivered it'.

When you ship something, most of the time a tracking number is provided.  So when you change the status to "Shipped", the customer is informed via email that the item has been shipped, and can optionally receive a tracking number.

The order states as a whole are a workflow.  Some merchants have more complex work flows than others, so if something does not apply to you, then don't use it.

"Processing", I assume you mean "processing in progress" or "preparation in progress" (depending on the version of Prestashop) means that the merchant has started to prepare your order for shipping.  I don't believe there is anything special occurring in PS, and yes by default your customer receives an email.  Depending on your business, this may be a good thing.  If it's not, then don't use it and move on...

Consider the fact that you are using free ecommerce software that was built to satisfy many types of merchants...

If you don't like the software, feel free to build your own, or move on to a different platform

• Like 2

"actually" no, not until you offer up your modules for free.  The whole model of P(o)S is to give the user broken software that needs to be fixed with paid 3rd party modules.  Of course as long as you're profiting from the model (and so are they) you'd espouse the "its free, so ignore its flaws" mantra.  Makes it no less BS.

"actually" no, not until you offer up your modules for free.  The whole model of P(o)S is to give the user broken software that needs to be fixed with paid 3rd party modules.  Of course as long as you're profiting from the model (and so are they) you'd espouse the "its free, so ignore its flaws" mantra.  Makes it no less BS.

PrestaShop is evolving fast, you received pretty good answers to your original question.  While I understand your frustration about paid modules/services it's a fact of life in any business.  Closing.

• Like 1