Is Prestashop 1.6 Production Ready

Hi,

We are about to start a brang new e-commerce shop on Prestashop platform. I am wondering if Prestashop 1.6 is stable, bug free and production ready. I tried to play around with 1.6 and found few obvious bugs in CSS etc.  Since then there has been few minor releases. So could someone tell me if they are using 1.6 in production and whats their experience. Btw, We have another shop running in 1.5 which is good and didnt find any bugs/ issues.

Thanks

Yes it is.

However, if you have an already hassle-less site running 1.5, stick to it for the time being.

Well we are looking at 1.6 for entirly new shop. If possible we dont want to go to 1.5 then later upgrade 1.6 as that my over shoot the budget. I read your response as sentiment is not that good to go with 1.6 as of now. Thanks for the prompt response

Edited by dhanakrishnasamy (see edit history)

I'm wanting to make the jump to 1.6 production as well. Since Google's update last year, my OsCommerce site basically dropped off the Google index, Bing and Yahoo I'm still on first page though (like I was with Google for the past five years until the update).

I've messed around with 1.5 over the past six months, but I think I will be going with 1.6 when I launch my new site. I feel that Prestashop is more secure and more SEO friendly than any heavily-modified OsCommerce site.

Don't misunderstand my answer. It is ready for production, what I wanted to say was that it would be kinda useless to upgrade a working 1.5 store at the time being, since they are basically the same with different themes, and only a slight number of improvements

You took the correct action the first time by installing 1.6 and testing it yourself and finding what you would consider issues. 

I would suggest you do the same thing with PS 1.6.0.6 and determine for yourself if it is acceptable for your store.  There are a lot of features in PS and perhaps you use all of those features, but maybe you only use some of them (ie  advanced stock, multi-store, 5 page vs one page checkout etc...)

You should determine what features you need and then test those features and determine if there are issues that would prevent you from using it.

I'm wanting to make the jump to 1.6 production as well. Since Google's update last year, my OsCommerce site basically dropped off the Google index, Bing and Yahoo I'm still on first page though (like I was with Google for the past five years until the update).

I've messed around with 1.5 over the past six months, but I think I will be going with 1.6 when I launch my new site. I feel that Prestashop is more secure and more SEO friendly than any heavily-modified OsCommerce site.

I waited for a long time for osCommerce 3.0 and still it isn't there. I'm glad that I jumped into PS 1.5 and not osCommerce. PrestaShop has a good development speed and the features are interesting and it looks good.

Edited by peranders (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I don't think Prestashop 1.6 is production ready. OK, you can get it to work basically, but I think there are too many startup problems/bugs or just indistinct settings which can't be handled by the community. That is offcourse because the software is very new, and most community members don't have much experience with the new software. I see a few very active members with a lot of knowledge like Nemo1 and Vekia who are trying to answer as much as possible. But the questions are just too much for them to handle (and they have probably a life too ;-) ), just look at the number of unanswered questions in this forum .  

No software is bug free however there is a threshold. While that threshold would depend on person to person ( their budget vs need for a new feature). Nonetheless I persume core Prestashop team would have a threshold as well.  It would be interesting to hear from them too along with whats the road map like for the near future at least.

The latest version isn't a release candidate and there is nowhere on the download page told to not use it in production, so the Prestateam finds it ready for production. And I think the core deployment is ready for production. It's just if you want a little bit more you have a good chance of running in to problems and at this moment there are too little community members (with enough knowledge) or solved topics to answer these problems. 

For my own: I started with PS1.5 10 weeks ago and had setup a webshop quiet fast. About 6 weeks ago I started from scratch with PS1.6. I want to go live with my webshop on the first of june, but because of several problems I still have, I have to postpone that.

The other possibility is to go live (the core functions work fine) and solve the problems later.

As I said before, each merchant needs to decide this for themselves.  It is all based on feature functionality that the merchant requires.  There are lots of features that work very well, and there are some that do not work so well.

The merchant just needs to install 1.6 and perform testing of the feature functionality required, if it works well, then you have your answer.  If you find issues and you cannot locate solutions, then perhaps 1.6 is not for you.

Indeed, The problem (for me that is) however is, that I've put a lot of hours in PS1.6 adding products, configuring modules etc.
If I decide now that PS1.6 is too early for me, I can't go back to PS1.5 or can I? Is the 1.6 database the same as 1.5? Or backwards compatible? What happens if I install a PS1.5 and let it connect to the 1.6 database?