Warning: trim() expects parameter 1 to be string

Not sure why I get this warning. Sure it's not visible when I don't have dev mode on, but still wonder what it is.

Anyone know?

Warning: trim() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /storage/content/21/104221/website.se/public_html/classes/Tools.php on line 1144 

• 2 weeks later...

is the front/back office working without issue?

if so turn off errors, note errors should not be turned on unless you are debugging an issue.

A warning does not stop the script from running.

Warning appears in FO only, about 40 times in a row.

It's obvious that warning doesn't stop script. But it shouldn't be there. 

Warning appears in a function that generates sef url from a string. I don't know where it gets that string from and how this can affect my links! 

(But I didn't find any broken link on a page yet.)

One more strange thing. This warning appears also in product "quick view" window just as many times as on usual pages. This window simply doesn't need so many links to be generated!

The code in question is ...

$str = trim($str);

The variable $str needs to be defined as a String type, but instead it is an Array. 

$str is passed as a parameter, so to properly fix the issue, you would have to locate the calling function and ensure a String is passed, not an array.  This could be a module you are using, or core Prestashop code.  There is not enough information to determine this.

Otherwise you could change the Tools class to enforce that it is a String, and exit if it is not.  Change the above code to the following, which says "if it is not a string, then return the original value".  The value will not be 'trimmed'.

if (!is_string($str))
    return $str;
Edited by bellini13 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...
if (!is_string($str))
    return $str;

just wanted to thank bellini13 for posting that fix since no one mentioned if it worked or not I can say it does.

my log file was 1GB in size in 1 day before I found out what was happening.