Your account has been abusing CPU resources for an extended period of time and has been temporarily

Hi All

I need help here.

Today i got an email from hostgator saying that :

Your account has been abusing CPU resources for an extended period of time and has been temporarily disabled in order to ensure continued performance stability of the account and server. While we do limit each account to no more than 25% of a system's CPU in our terms of service, we do not actively disable accounts until they greatly exceed that number, which is what happened in this case

I was wondering what is the cause of this problem, i havent lifted the banned imposed by them in the hostgator cpanel knowing that i haven't identify the issue.

additional info:

we recently just used the Internet affiliate marketing service, and they are trying to crawl information from our web.

suddenly in the span of 2 days we got a huge amount of visitor ranging from 10.000 t0 30.000++

in a day..

typically our visitor range is 200++

We also got this info from hostgator email

Logs of the CPU usage are provided below in order to help you address the issue. Should you require assistance in interpreting the cause, please reply and we will be glad to assist further:

CPU seconds used in the past hour: 6008.60999999985, 167% CPU

Sat Mar  8 21:01:10 CST 2014
Running Processes:

Running Queries:

Open connections

Current Site Requests:
103.25.202.69   nihonmartbeauty.com     /facial-care/45-dhc-deep-cleansing-oil-70ml.html
103.25.202.69   nihonmartbeauty.com     /facial-care/48-dhc-olive-virgin-oil-ss.html
103.25.202.69   nihonmartbeauty.com     /hadalabo/109-gokujyun-alpha-anti-aging-essence.html
103.25.202.69   nihonmartbeauty.com     /hadalabo/56-shirojyun-whitening-lotion.html
103.25.202.69   nihonmartbeauty.com     /kracie-hadabisei/64-hadabisei-eye-mask.html
103.25.202.69   nihonmartbeauty.com     /majolica-majorca/90-majolica-majorca-cream-pencil-liner-re
103.25.202.69   nihonmartbeauty.com     /naruko-raw-job/102-naruko-raw-job-s-tears-toner-150ml.html
103.25.202.69   nihonmartbeauty.com     /shiseido-tsubaki-damage-care-white/117-tsubaki-damage-care
103.25.202.69   nihonmartbeauty.com     /shiseido-tsubaki/76-tsubaki-damage-care-shampoo.html
103.25.202.69   nihonmartbeauty.com     /shiseido-tsubaki/81-tsubaki-head-spa-conditioner.html
103.25.202.69   nihonmartbeauty.com     /skin-aqua-sunblock/113-skin-aqua-uv-moisture-milk-spf-50.h
119.235.255.18  nihonmartbeauty.com     /2-facial-care?&p=5
119.235.255.18  nihonmartbeauty.com     /38-shiseido-sea-breeze
119.235.255.18  nihonmartbeauty.com     /bath-and-body/131-bouncia-body-soap-refill-430ml.html
119.235.255.18  nihonmartbeauty.com     /facial-care/65-tea-tree-oil-out-acne-clay-cleanser.html
119.235.255.18  nihonmartbeauty.com     /facial-care/66-tea-tree-oil-acne-toner.html
119.235.255.18  nihonmartbeauty.com     /hadalabo/55-shirojyun-whitening-face-wash.html
119.235.255.18  nihonmartbeauty.com     /kose-nature-co/121-pure-facial-foam-129ml.html
119.235.255.18  nihonmartbeauty.com     /kose-nature-co/123-pure-white-milky-lotion-moisture-130ml.
119.235.255.18  nihonmartbeauty.com     /kose-nature-co/127-three-butter-face-body-balm-150g.html
119.235.255.18  nihonmartbeauty.com     /shiseido-tsubaki/78-tsubaki-damage-care-shampoo.html
119.235.255.18  nihonmartbeauty.com     /shiseido-tsubaki/79-tsubaki-damage-care-condie.html
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /13-kracie-hadabisei
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /19-majolica-majorca
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /28-shirojyun-whitening
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /36-skin-aqua-sunblock
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /36-skin-aqua-sunblock
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /facial-care/107-naruko-raw-job-s-tears-night-eye-gelly-30m
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /facial-care/93-skinlife-facial-foam-110g.html
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /hadalabo/51-gokujyun-moisturizing-face-wash.html
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /hadalabo/51-gokujyun-moisturizing-face-wash.html
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /hadalabo/52-gokujyun-moisturizing-light-lotion.html
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /hadalabo/56-shirojyun-whitening-lotion.html
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /hadalabo/60-gokujyun-alpha-anti-aging-milk.html
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /hadalabo/61-tamagohada-mild-peeling-face-wash.html
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /kose-nature-co/123-pure-white-milky-lotion-moisture-130ml.
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /kose-nature-co/124-pure-white-cream-41ml.html
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /kose-nature-co/127-three-butter-face-body-balm-150g.html
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /kracie-hadabisei/62-hadabisei-brightening.html
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /kracie-hadabisei/62-hadabisei-brightening.html
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /kracie-hadabisei/63-hadabisei-extra-moist.html
209.148.84.137  nihonmartbeauty.com     /shiseido-ma-cherie/115-ma-cherie-airfeel-shampoo.html
209.148.86.220  nihonmartbeauty.com     /12-hadalabo?p=2
209.148.86.220  nihonmartbeauty.com     /19-majolica-majorca
209.148.86.220  nihonmartbeauty.com     /facial-care/105-narukot-raw-job-s-tears-night-gelly-60ml.h
209.148.86.220  nihonmartbeauty.com     /facial-care/106-naruko-raw-job-s-tears-lotion-120ml.html
209.148.86.220  nihonmartbeauty.com     /facial-care/45-dhc-deep-cleansing-oil-70ml.html
209.148.86.220  nihonmartbeauty.com     /facial-care/66-tea-tree-oil-acne-toner.html
209.148.86.220  nihonmartbeauty.com     /facial-care/69-tea-tree-oil-out-peeling-gel.html
209.148.86.220  nihonmartbeauty.com     /hadalabo/52-gokujyun-moisturizing-light-lotion.html
209.148.86.220  nihonmartbeauty.com     /kose-nature-co/125-pure-essence-c-30ml.html
209.148.86.220  nihonmartbeauty.com     /kracie-hadabisei/62-hadabisei-brightening.html
209.148.86.220  nihonmartbeauty.com     /kracie-hadabisei/63-hadabisei-extra-moist.html
209.148.86.220  nihonmartbeauty.com     /lion-bathology/87-bathology-aromatic-soap.html
209.148.86.220  nihonmartbeauty.com     /shiseido-tsubaki/75-tsubaki-shining-condie.html
209.148.86.220  nihonmartbeauty.com     /shiseido-tsubaki/75-tsubaki-shining-condie.html

Reference: ui
   Server: gator3210.hostgator.com
Srv. Type: cpanel
  Created: Mon Sep  2 05:06:17 2013
Acct Type: Shared
     Plan: Baby Croc
     User: tannong
U. Domain: nihonmartbeauty.com
    Email: [email protected]
       IP: 192.254.232.211 (shared)

Doc Root: /home3/tannong/public_html

can somebody help to pinpoint what is the problem with this info above?

We did not do any changes to the code.

the website is :

nihonmartbeauty.com

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Solved it Guys

Apparently we are using 1 of those affiliate marketing service and they are sending spider to crawl us.

apparently hostgator thinks that it is abusing CPU usage and block our web.

we contacted the affiliate marketing service & they reduce the crawling rate from 1 per sec to 1 per minute

Thank You

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I am having this issue and I am not using any affiliate marketing service. 

Anyone know what causes abuse of the CPU resources?

They insist is is not a host problem but rather a script problem.

They have asked me to fix it, upgrade to a VPS (for 100 pounds a month, ouch) or move to another server and they only give me 5 days to solve the issue. Below is the mail they sent me with links to resources on how to fix it but I am not a programmer and don't understand why my prestashop is using so much CPU. Any help or tips would be great. I am using PS 1.5.3.1 and have about 500 products. 
It seems that my "index.php" (homepage is causing the problem. I usually get about 40 visits a day according to google analytics but on the dates noted by my host below (July 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) the visits went up over 100 but I can't imagine just 100-150 visits a day would use so much CPU.  
My shop is at http://www.fixgear.info and while it uses a lot of HEAVY images, i am not sure that could cause the CPU abuse, can it with just 100-150 visits a day. 
I have read about crawlers but do not know how to stop that or even if it is my case? 
I would be happy to pay someone to help me fix this issue if need be. 
Thanks in advance. 

mail from my host.

Dear Client

Please read this notice in full before replying to this ticket.

[Please note that this ticket is in our Security and Policy Queue and is not actively monitored 24/7 like a Tech Support ticket. After you update this ticket we will always reply within 24 hours. Be sure to submit a normal Support Ticket for any separate issues.]

***IMPORTANT: You must provide daily updates to this ticket until we notify you that the issue can be considered resolved and the ticket is closed. If we do not receive daily updates from you during the resolution process the account may be suspended without additional warning, thank you.***

This ticket has been opened under your account as a high resource usage warning as CPU usage has exceeded the level permitted by our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) on shared plans.

The above account is currently using up to an average of 120% of the available CPU on the server. This figure is a 24 hour average. This level of usage is not permitted under a shared account and is affecting performance for other customers on this shared server.

Below are examples from the daily usage logs:

Jul 01 2014:
fixgear fixgear.info 6.03 0.04 0.1 
Top Process %CPU 166 /usr/bin/php /home/fixgear/public_html/admin/index.php 
Top Process %CPU 127 /usr/bin/php /home/fixgear/public_html/index.php 
Top Process %CPU 125

Jul 02 2014:
fixgear fixgear.info 7.81 0.07 0.2 
Top Process %CPU 161 /usr/bin/php /home/fixgear/public_html/index.php 
Top Process %CPU 151 /usr/bin/php /home/fixgear/public_html/admin/index.php 
Top Process %CPU 111 /usr/bin/php /home/fixgear/public_html/index.php 

Jul 03 2014:
fixgear fixgear.info 8.46 0.08 0.1 
Top Process %CPU 130 /usr/bin/php /home/fixgear/public_html/index.php 
Top Process %CPU 119 /usr/bin/php /home/fixgear/public_html/index.php 
Top Process %CPU 112 /usr/bin/php /home/fixgear/public_html/index.php 

Jul 04 2014:
fixgear fixgear.info 6.20 0.07 0.0 
Top Process %CPU 179 /usr/bin/php /home/fixgear/public_html/index.php 
Top Process %CPU 103 /usr/bin/php /home/fixgear/public_html/index.php 

Jul 05 2014:
fixgear fixgear.info 5.42 0.07 0.1 
Top Process %CPU 145 /usr/bin/php /home/fixgear/public_html/index.php 
Top Process %CPU 109 /usr/bin/php /home/fixgear/public_html/index.php 
Top Process %CPU 104 /usr/bin/php /home/fixgear/public_html/index.php 

Jul 06 2014:
fixgear fixgear.info 4.90 0.04 0.0 
Top Process %CPU 144 /usr/bin/php /home/fixgear/public_html/index.php 
Top Process %CPU 133 /usr/bin/php /home/fixgear/public_html/index.php 
Top Process %CPU 106 /usr/bin/php /home/fixgear/public_html/index.php 

Jul 07 2014 (partial stats, 19 hours into the day):
fixgear fixgear.info 5.93 0.04 0.1 
Top Process %CPU 126 /usr/bin/php /home/fixgear/public_html/index.php 
Top Process %CPU 105 /usr/bin/php /home/fixgear/public_html/index.php 

Thanks El Patron but I currently use PS 1.5.3.1. so would need to migrate my current installation there and that article only mentions installign PS (latest version I assume) and that would surely break my current shop as I have modules and also have done customizations that are incompatible with the latest version of PS.

What I am really looking to know is why my site is "abusing" the host CPU resources massively apparently since the site is not that heavily visited.

Jeremy...

telling us who you host with and the exact hosting plan would be most useful.

as for the article, yes that is for new install, but the hosting would allow one to move their existing shop.

if you want to disect your shop usage

config/defines.inc.php

set this to true

define('_PS_DEBUG_PROFILING_', false);

now visit parts of your shop, scroll down for shop profiling data

note: when you activate this, it is active for all visitors, front or back...so turn off after you get data

Sorry El Padron. 

It's been crazy since the notified me yesterday of the "ABUSE" (sounds extreme i know).

I host with Rochen and have a reseller hosting plan 1 (http://uk.rochen.com/reseller-hosting/) right now. They have been great these past years but now to solve this resource abuse issue they want me to change to a VPS (they call it an MVS) and pay 100 GBP a month, up from the 20 GBP I pay now. 

I do have all of my business sites on the server (6 of them) so I guess 100 GBP is not too much to ask for all of my hosting needs but it just smacks me in the face to go from paying 20 to 100 pound, OUCH!!! 

I asked if the "ABUSE" has been only since July 2nd and they looked back and said no, it has been going on longer but they are just notifying me of it  now.

Thanks for the degug tip, I'll have a go later when I can collect the data and quickly turn it off again since I have to go out now. 

Jeremy...

Edited by fixgear (see edit history)

Sorry El Padron. 

It's been crazy since the notified me yesterday of the "ABUSE" (sounds extreme i know).

I host with Rochen and have a reseller hosting plan 1 (http://uk.rochen.com/reseller-hosting/) right now. They have been great these past years but now to solve this resource abuse issue they want me to change to a VPS (they call it an MVS) and pay 100 GBP a month, up from the 20 GBP I pay now. 

I asked if the "ABUSE" has been only since July 2nd and they looked back and said no, it has been going on longer but they are just notifying me of it  now.

Thanks for the degug tip, I'll have a go later when I can collect the data and quickly turn it off again since I have to go out now. 

Jeremy...

ok Jeremy, let us know how it goes.

• 1 year later...

Sorry El Padron. 

I do have all of my business sites on the server (6 of them) so I guess 100 GBP is not too much to ask for all of my hosting needs but it just smacks me in the face to go from paying 20 to 100 pound, OUCH!!! 

Jeremy...

Hi, I see your website is up and running, which is great. We are experiencing this issue with our website as well, you mind sharing how you solved the problem? Did just moving to VPS plan solved everything? Thanks 

Hi Suzanne. 

DID OUR WEBSIT LOAD AND NAVIGATE VERY SLOWLY FOR YOU? If you don´t remember, can you go and see? http://www.fixgear.info .Thanks!

Well, I did look for help and was offered some (paid) by a web developer. She poked around my PS installation and suggested and installed an EXPRESS CACHE module to lighter the server resources load but it only reduced them a little. I ended up having to migrate to a larger plan, an MVS (Managed Virtual Server, in case anyone reading this does not know). The MVS is 99 GBP a month but as I have like 6 business websites on there, it is worth it for me as the folks at ROCHEN are very professional and always provide EXCELLENT customer care. 

Now nearly 18 months later I am having new issues and apparently they are also related to CPU resource overload. The host (ROCHEN) has not cut me off or anything or suggested any changes but when I noticed my website very sluggish and also began receiving complaints from visitors about the pages loading VERY slowly, something I also have experienced in testing, I asked ROCHEN what is causing this and they confirmed it is caused by very demanding processes (CPU demanding) on the MVS. I don't know if this is a common PS issue or not but it is for me.

To be fair, I must say I have not upgraded my version of PS since I installed it, I am still on PrestaShop™ 1.5.3.1 and even my CP loads SOOOOOOWLY --> Loading time:2.752s 

I have not upgraded versions since I "customized" so much of the site (a lot of code changes) and an upgrade would probably break the site, especially since the latest PS version is not even compatible with my template (or the template not compatible with the latest version of PS), at any rate, I can't easily upgrade my PS version. 

I am currently waiting for an answer on a support ticket I just put in asking what is now causing the pages to load so slowly (front and back end). They suggested I migrate to their latest high-tech plan, a MCS (Managed Cloud Server).

Here is what they wrote me when asked if my site would go faster on the new MCS...

The regular price for the base MCS is £125 GBP. Our promotional price for our existing clients is £115 GBP. This would provide you with 100GB storage, 2vCPU's, 4GB RAM, as well as the ability to scale those resources if and when you need to. 

On average, with the MCS you'd experience about 3x the performance of your MVS. That's with the base resources alone; 2vCPU's, 4GB RAM, and redundant SAN storage. You can of course also scale those resources anytime if you need to, to further stabilize and increase performance for peak times. Then scale back down when the extra resources aren't necessary.

We also have other options we can customize on the MCS for you, such as LiteSpeed webserver, a drop in replacement for Apache, that would also help with performance and page load times. 

Overall though, I'd recommend just starting with the base MCS on its own and then scaling and adding options only if you need to. The great thing about MCS, is the flexibility and room for growth. Whereas, while still a solid solution, older technology such as the MVS is quite a bit more limited without the scalability options. 

Can't help but think they are continuously trying to get more money out of me but I need to fix the slowness issue ASAP so have very little choice here. Besides, I don't think they are taking advantage of me as they have a god rep and have always been very very helpful.

Also, the 100GB is a huge upgrade along, I currently have a 30GB limit and am using aprox. 25 (my site is very image heavy).

I suppose I should also hire a PS pro to fine-tune my site (clean things up and optimize) but I have not had time to look for one :( 

I think I am going to take the hit and pay the extra 15 pounds to upgrade to the MCS and see if it improved site performance. 

If you post back here in a few weeks I will pop in and let you know how it worked out.

Good luck!
Jeremy...

Hi Suzanne. 

DID OUR WEBSIT LOAD AND NAVIGATE VERY SLOWLY FOR YOU? If you don´t remember, can you go and see? http://www.fixgear.info .Thanks!

Well, I did look for help and was offered some (paid) by a web developer. She poked around my PS installation and suggested and installed an EXPRESS CACHE module to lighter the server resources load but it only reduced them a little. I ended up having to migrate to a larger plan, an MVS (Managed Virtual Server, in case anyone reading this does not know). The MVS is 99 GBP a month but as I have like 6 business websites on there, it is worth it for me as the folks at ROCHEN are very professional and always provide EXCELLENT customer care. 

Now nearly 18 months later I am having new issues and apparently they are also related to CPU resource overload. The host (ROCHEN) has not cut me off or anything or suggested any changes but when I noticed my website very sluggish and also began receiving complaints from visitors about the pages loading VERY slowly, something I also have experienced in testing, I asked ROCHEN what is causing this and they confirmed it is caused by very demanding processes (CPU demanding) on the MVS. I don't know if this is a common PS issue or not but it is for me.

To be fair, I must say I have not upgraded my version of PS since I installed it, I am still on PrestaShop™ 1.5.3.1 and even my CP loads SOOOOOOWLY --> Loading time:2.752s 

I have not upgraded versions since I "customized" so much of the site (a lot of code changes) and an upgrade would probably break the site, especially since the latest PS version is not even compatible with my template (or the template not compatible with the latest version of PS), at any rate, I can't easily upgrade my PS version. 

I am currently waiting for an answer on a support ticket I just put in asking what is now causing the pages to load so slowly (front and back end). They suggested I migrate to their latest high-tech plan, a MCS (Managed Cloud Server).

Here is what they wrote me when asked if my site would go faster on the new MCS...

Can't help but think they are continuously trying to get more money out of me but I need to fix the slowness issue ASAP so have very little choice here. Besides, I don't think they are taking advantage of me as they have a god rep and have always been very very helpful.

Also, the 100GB is a huge upgrade along, I currently have a 30GB limit and am using aprox. 25 (my site is very image heavy).

I suppose I should also hire a PS pro to fine-tune my site (clean things up and optimize) but I have not had time to look for one :( 

I think I am going to take the hit and pay the extra 15 pounds to upgrade to the MCS and see if it improved site performance. 

If you post back here in a few weeks I will pop in and let you know how it worked out.

Good luck!

Jeremy...

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes your website is very slow when I navigate through the categories.