[SOLVED] How to handle excessive subcategories?

pets11

From the top horizontal menu, subcategories drop straight down which is great unless you have so many that they run down off the page, causing a customer to scroll down just to see them all. I want all of the subcategories to be visible without scrolling down. I've see examples where the subcategories go down to a point, maybe 10 or so subcategories down and then another column of 10 next to it and so on. I'm not sure what this is called or how to do it. Any idea's on what I'm describing? I feel like I'm missing something simple.   

Hi!

Can you link your website? I'll try to give you specific info about it. Basically, you have to set a fixed width for the ul which drops down, and left float the list elements contained. However, this will lead you to

link1     link2     link3

link4     link5

and not

link1    link3    link5

link2    link4

:)

• Like 2

Hi!

Can you link your website? I'll try to give you specific info about it. Basically, you have to set a fixed width for the ul which drops down, and left float the list elements contained. However, this will lead you to

link4     link5

and not

link1    link3    link5

link2    link4

Hey thanks. I think you have the answer. In my research before, "float" was the word I was looking for. I'm learning as I go so....it's humbling. I have the site in lockdown till it's more functioning but i included a screen shot of my subcategories running from the top horizontal menu, ...right to the bottom of the page and beyond...that is what I'm trying trying to control and manage so that they are visible without scrolling. I did find two paid mod that might do this but, Advanced Top Menu and Module Rich Menu....though I'd rather figure it out.   

post-717869-0-42998900-1384792775_thumb.jpg

If you only want to reduce the vertical size, then I suggest you save those bucks.

Try opening superfish-modified.css (theme folder/css/modules/blocktopmenu) if it's not there go to modules/blocktopmenu and copy it

At the end, add

.sf-menu li.sfHover ul {
	width: 600px;
}
.sf-menu li.sfHover ul li {
	float: left;
}

See if it works (I didn't test it)

In any way, vekia posted a solution to a similar issue some time ago, you should be able to find it using the search tool! ;)

• Like 1

There was some shadowing that I removed by commenting this out...all proud of myself. :D  

modules/blocktopmenu/css/superfish-modified.css

{*/*** shadows for all but IE6 ***/
.sf-shadow ul {
	background:	url('../img/shadow.png') no-repeat bottom right;
	padding: 0 8px 9px 0;
	-moz-border-bottom-left-radius: 17px;
	-moz-border-top-right-radius: 17px;
	-webkit-border-top-right-radius: 17px;
	-webkit-border-bottom-left-radius: 17px;
}
.sf-shadow ul.sf-shadow-off {
	background: transparent;*}
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

link4     link5

and not

link1    link3    link5

link2    link4

Nemo, I've been looking for a solution to do this for ages. Do you know where I can find a guide to do it? I've been googling forever but it may seem like I can't find the right words to do a proper search?

Also, is it possible to hover over the categories on the sidebar and have the subcategories come out without having to click on the '+' sign? I've been searching for a solution for this too but no luck so far. :( Please help to point me to anything, thank you so much!