[BARCAMP 7] English Forum - Who is going?

Hello all,

As you can tell from the Big Banner, Barcamp 7 will be held in Paris, November 19th 2013. This thread is for our English Forum members to discuss about who is going, what will be talked about etc. 

I personally will be attending Barcamp 7 along with 4 members of the US team. I would love to meet everyone from the Community who is available to come. Go ahead and ask any questions you have, I'll be happy to help.

So, now the question, are YOU going to be in Paris for the Barcamp?!

Cheers,

Benjamin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went and was rather disappointed.

My french is rather lacking. I know a lot of words but due to a lack of recent practice listening is sometimes a bit of a struggle. My experience was that:

- a lecture in a small room with a powerpoint was best to understand.

- a lecture in the big room with a powerpoint came next. The sound is a lot worse there.

- the round tables in the big room were almost impossible to follow. 

- worst were the webshop discussions in the room upstairs. There was so much background noise that even if they had spoken my mother tongue I wouldn't have been able to follow it.

The content was rather disappointing too. A lot came from "commercial partners". 

My advice for the next session would be:

- invest in simultaneous translation in English of the main room sessions

- hire more rooms so that more meetings can be held at the same time.

- differentiate: have separate technical and commercial sessions at different levels.

- be complete. PS 1.6 will use several new technologies. There should have been one hour sessions that explored each of these technologies in depth. Instead we got a semi-commercial about Bootstrap. Very cute but I learned almost nothing from it.

Such an approach would also contribute to community building as having smaller meeting with more like-minded people would lead to more interaction between the users. Now you have either the big hall meeting or one-on-one with someone from Prestashop.

Edited by musicmaster (see edit history)