[solved] I changed url now can't get into back office

jonmig

hi guys

I've just commited the newbie classic mistake and changed the url setup in seo and now I can't get into the back office ,I have done some research and followed the most prevalent answers to this problem but still no solution....

can anybody please help!

I have accessed my sql db, using phpmyadmin and changed the domain to my shop domain name eg: www.myshop.co.uk

and the ssl to the same and finally the physical url  to / but this hasn't solved the problem ,I then went to my ftp and viewed the /config/setting.inc.php file but this just has the correct information pointing to my database ,other than that I can't find anymore information on this subject ,I'm sure this is a common mistake so please go easy on me I only changed it because of the error messages flagging up within the programme :unsure:

cheers

Mike

Edited by El Patron
marked as solved (see edit history)

I must add that this problem seems to be a common error in both Prestashop and Word press ,one where the user goes into the back office and is faced with an error flag pointing to a problem with one of the url entries ,the immediate response seems to be (as I personally did) to adjust the domain name ,ssl or base just to get rid of the warning however doing this seems to cause the programme to lose connection with the server ,I can't believe that there isn't an easier way to sort this problem as it basically shuts everything down and causes many sleepless nights ,the only way around it would be to re-install the whole programme which is not an option if your whole site is fully configured already.

any ideas guys ? 

Edited by jonmig (see edit history)

have you deleted the .htaccess file or modified it?  If it still references your old domain, that is likely your problem

also you don't say what you have done specifically with the domain.  are you saying you went from google.com to yahoo.com, or are you saying you went from www.google.com to subdomain.google.com

you also don't mention the version of Prestashop you are using.  Have you removed any smarty cache files?

• Like 2

hi guys thanks for your help ...

No I personally haven't edited or deleted the .htaccess file unless Prestashop has written

anything to it ? (please see attached pic)

I saw the error flag within the back office referring to the url's being incorrect somewhere,

so what I did was copy the entry from the ssl line to the domain.

I accessed the back office from google chrome.

Installed Version 1.5.5 (latest version)...

looked at the sql db shop_url and this has the correct address entered.

I have also viewed the config/settings.php file and this has the data base address in it.

cheers Mike

post-690052-0-17394900-1378475841_thumb.jpg

hi Benjamin

I looked in the cache folder and it was empty however the compile folder was full of smaller folders so I deleted all of these 

as instructed saving the index.php file but it still hasn't solved it...

cheers

Mike 

I must add that this problem seems to be a common error in both Prestashop and Word press ,one where the user goes into the back office and is faced with an error flag pointing to a problem with one of the url entries ,the immediate response seems to be (as I personally did) to adjust the domain name ,ssl or base just to get rid of the warning however doing this seems to cause the programme to lose connection with the server ,I can't believe that there isn't an easier way to sort this problem as it basically shuts everything down and causes many sleepless nights ,the only way around it would be to re-install the whole programme which is not an option if your whole site is fully configured already.

any ideas guys ? 

Are both the wordpress and PrestaShop store on the same hosting server? Have you contacted your hosting provider because most Internal Server Errors can be investigated through your hosting provide, apache error logs, php error logs etc. 

• Like 1

just did a search of all .htaccess files through Filezilla in my Prestashop website folder

and after viewing them all I came across one in website/docs folder which says  Deny from ALL is this anything important guys could this affect the connection with the server ?

cheers

Mike

re the wordpress was a reference only !

I have been researching this problem Benjamin and it is not only experienced by Prestashop users but also Wordpress users too ...I have personally only installed Prestashop not Wordpress and yes I have spoken with my hosting team however they don't seem to have a solutution to the problem .

hi Benjamin

no I haven't been provided with that information yet but I will request it from them on monday ,I'm not sure which way I switched it either www to  no www I can't remember that correctly , does the ht.access file in the docs folders have any bearing on the situation as it reads Deny from ALL?

Thank you

Mike

hi guys

Thank you ,I did try deleting it but as you said Bellini it doesn't do anything so I put it back ;)

'wow' this is a mystery how the error has occured I will ask the host tech dept to forward me a 

server error report on monday and post back when I have it ,I could always re-install the Prestashop programme as I haven't set anything up properly yet however I would like to get to the bottom of this error so that it can be solved for the benefit of future users that may experience the same problem.

cheers

Mike 

post-690052-0-00637300-1378552411_thumb.jpg

I went through something similar when I adjusted the shop domain and SLL domain paths...

I ended up having to adjust my access path to include something like this >

https: // include your-new-domain-name-here.com/psadmin  (tacking on the psadmin to the backside of the new url is what did the trick for me)

Not sure if this helps you or not...

Do you know if the DENY FROM ALL was in a  sub directory or for your entire site? (sorry for all who know this; but, more .htaccess info available here > httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_access.html

regards, -Rick

Edited by berklee.grad (see edit history)
  • Like 1

at this point its not worth guessing and randomly changing settings, because now you could break something else trying to fix it, and you will never know.

Just get the error_log and see what the actual error is and go from there.  you really should have access to this without the need to ask your host.  did you look in your prestashop folder for a file named error_log?  Did you try to log into your hosts control panel, and see if there is an error log?

if you want to send me a PM with access to your FTP and Control Panel, I can take a quick look to try to locate it for you.  Frankly, I'm tired of your thread already lol

• Like 1

I went through something similar when I adjusted the shop domain and SLL domain paths...

I ended up having to adjust my access path to include something like this >

https: // include your-new-domain-name-here.com/psadmin  (tacking on the psadmin to the backside of the new url is what did the trick for me)

Not sure if this helps you or not...

Do you know if the DENY FROM ALL was in a  sub directory or for your entire site? (sorry for all who know this; but, more .htaccess info available here > httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_access.html

regards, -Rick

hi Rick

at last someone else who has had the same problem lol 

I'm not too sure how to follow your instructions but thank you for your input ,I noticed that the htt.access file only in docs folder said deny from all however as Bellini correctly said it doesn't affect this issue. ;)

hi Rick

I'm not too sure how to follow your instructions but thank you for your input

Jonmig,

sorry I wasn't more clear:

I meant changing the url to access the site via a link that would look like this >

https: // handprint-tshirts.co.uk/psadmin   (be sure to remove the spaces on either side of the //)

that being said,  when you changed your domain and ssl settings in prestashop - did you also point your DNS to the proper directory AND make sure the domain is mapped to the proper directory in your hosting control panel. And, of course, the above link won't work until the directory mapping is sorted out ;-)

Lastly, I also had to change the BASE URI settings to "/ " instead of the previous path which was something like > subdomain.host.blah.com/Prestashop  (or some such rubbish)

maybe this helps,  -Rick

Edited by berklee.grad (see edit history)
  • Like 1

hi Rick 

I've just tried that!,changed the domain name URL in my sql data base under shop_url and then searched for the site by entering the same in the URL and it goes to an empty page saying This web page is not available.

When I altered the url in the back office all I did was copy either the ssl line or it may have been the domain line and pasted it over the other (ssl or domain I can't remember which way round it was) and then when I logged out I couldn't get back in 

I never changed the DNS pointing  ,and have double checked with my host that my domain is pointing to the website folder with regards to the base URL  it has always been / ...

I'm guessing that this issue happens with individual servers and not to everyone who attempts to change this parameter

thats why it is as complicated as it seems as there isn't a definitive answer.

cheers

Mike

before changing back office url and to test the new url pointer is correct.  simply navigate using that url, it should show your shop but with the old url.  I haven't tried that on 1.5 but that is what happens in a 1.4 shop.

hi El Patron

Thank you 

erm I'm a real beginner at this please could you simplify what you mean and I will try it straight away ;)

cheers 

Mike 

hi bellini13

Thank you for your help ,please don't get tired of me too early lol 

I think this is an important thread as it is a common mistake and needs addressing for future users of Prestashop and who better to solve this than the experts ;)

I searched for the error _log but could only find the files indicated in the attached pic,

with regards to my hosts control panel there isn't much access to the user as the host doesn't seem to offer anything in the way of a control panel...

cheers

Mike

post-690052-0-06593900-1378565857_thumb.jpg

without making any changes, i.e. working shop on the old url

point the new url to your installation

vitiate with new url, you should see your shop, but with old url

hi El Patron

I can't get into the shop atall ,the url www.handprint-tshirts.co.uk just comes back with a 500 server configuration error

everything was working correctly until I edited one of the SEO url lines and now it can't be found again in the domain search :( 

hi El Patron

I can't get into the shop atall ,the url www.handprint-tshirts.co.uk just comes back with a 500 server configuration error

everything was working correctly until I edited one of the SEO url lines and now it can't be found again in the domain search :(

then this problem needs to be resolved before  doing anything else, you need to get the actual 500 error

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/224525-how-to-turn-on-error-reporting-for-debug-information-500-error-or-blank-page/

• Like 1

hi El Patron

error reporting is already turned on as I initiated it after following those instructions to work my previous error out which was

corrected by increasing the allowable data per page...

The search just comes back now as website can't be found (please see attached).

cheers

Mike

post-690052-0-84863200-1378569661_thumb.jpg

hi El Patron

error reporting is already turned on as I initiated it after following those instructions to work my previous error out which was

corrected by increasing the allowable data per page...

The search just comes back now as website can't be found (please see attached).

cheers

Mike

thats not what I am seeing...but I'm the oldest mod on her...and I confuse myself and others easily

09.07.2013-11.11.png

http://screencast.com/t/B0EoARH4

• Like 1

thats not what I am seeing...but I'm the oldest mod on her...and I confuse myself and others easily

09.07.2013-11.11.png

http://screencast.com/t/B0EoARH4

hi El Patron

apologies no you are quite right that screen is what I have been seeing for days now

however today after trying a few different suggestions I was getting the previous attached page example , but now it has come back ...

cheers

Mike

post-690052-0-96978400-1378572618_thumb.jpg

hi guys 

Thank you all once again for all your help with this problem ,I have spoken with the host techs this morning and a clever young lady has solved it for us ;)

(apparently my host server does not offer a control panel to the user thats why I could not view the errors myself)

Originally before I had this problem I was able to access the back office but unable to get into the front of the shop,

the solution I followed was to increase the memory of the php.ini file ,this solved this particular problem at the time ,with everything accessible now I then started to configure a few things inside the back office and the last thing I did was to adjust the url this apparently wrote a line to the server finally pushing the limit of 16mb of another php.ini file which is in the cgi folder ,the tech changed the limit from 16mb to 32mb and now were back to normal (for the time being lol).

cheers guys 

Mike

Thank you El Patron ;)

It is great that you solved your problem. However, it is strange that you are not given a Cpanel with your hosting. You should look into switching to a more stable hosting provider if you still encounter problems. Good luck and be sure to be active on the forums for maximum know-how and other tips and tricks.