Going back to Step 1 from Step 2

Hello Dear,

I've been trying to install PrestaShop on my site: http://luvfromengland.com/

On the second step (System Compatibility page) all the checks are 'true' and 'ticked', but as soon as I click on 'Next' it takes me back to the first page of installation. Very weird!

I have tried more than 10 times, from 2 different PCs, yesterday and today, but not progressing!

I have installed on local pc, no problem, but problem on http, it doesn't even give any error message.

Please see the link provided, and it would be great if you could tell me what is the wrong I'm doing (while there is not much I am supposed to do).

Host: iPage,

PHP: 5,

PrestaShop Version: 1.5 (the most latest, downloaded yesterday)

Best Regards,

Shawkat

• Like 2

@getalove-> not sure if iPage problem, but I did install on localhost. I solved this by installing v1.4, and then adding a module called "1 Click upgrade", and upgraded v1.49 to v1.5 and started to use that way.

Though you don't get all the features available- u just need to enable/install them and Paypal is missing- just add that module.

I don't think iPage will bother to help me, as this is specific to a CMS installation and as there is no error message- they will try to avoid this issue. Are you using iPage, as well?

Yes i am also using iPage. Well I just started using it and I am not pleased! Other than this problem I am experiencing quite a lot of down time every now and then. I threatened to cancel my account and iPage decided to throw in a whole lot of freebies.

Well I have now installed prestashop 1.4.9 perfectly now so other than this downtime issue I guess I have no other complains.

@getalove-> downtime problem isn't iPage's fault. I checked myself creating a normal page and connecting to MyQL DB and showing records is quite fast. But the problem is- PrestaSHop CMS.

Before it used to have around 166 tables and now 235 tables. And PrestaShop CMS doesn't use Views or StoredProc, so it sends long query (In-Line SQL) and needs to compile on database server and then returns the result set. I think that could be a reason.

And also please follow these tips- which are really good, but still I can't make my page faster using PrestaShop.

þ Make as few HTTP Requests as possible

þ Add an Expires Header

þ Use the Gzip Componenten

þ Place your CSS in the top

þ Put Scripts at the bottom

þ Place JavaScript and CSS external

þ Make as few DNS Lookups as possible

þ Use less JavaScript

þ Don't use a Redirects

þ Prevent the use of double scripts

þ Combine, Compress and Cache CSS and JavaScript

þ Enable Smarty Template and File Caching

þ Optimise Images and use CSS Sprites

þ Serve Static Content from a Cookieless Domain

þ Reduce Cookie Size

þ Use a Content Delivery Network CDN.

þ Divide Product Images into Subdirectories

OpenCart is much lighter, and so is a bit faster and much easy to customize.

If u move to PrestaShop 1.5- u will get sm better tools- in both FrontOffice and BackOffice.

Have u used PingDom to test your site performance. Really a good tool. Give a try!

Hello, does IPage have a simple script install of PrestaShop available? For hosting providers, I recommend www.bluehost.com/prestashop

Hello,

I am not sure if they have so. I used 3 versions of 1.4x, only problem with PS 1.5. And 2nd step of PS setup shows all green/checked for the "Setup Requirements", what else can be issue for such mysterious behaviour? If there is any- then it should be included in the check list.

Do u suggest me to check anything else? The php.ini on their server? That is configured- that's why PS step 2 shows all checked/valid.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am not sure if they have so. I used 3 versions of 1.4x, only problem with PS 1.5. And 2nd step of PS setup shows all green/checked for the "Setup Requirements", what else can be issue for such mysterious behaviour? If there is any- then it should be included in the check list.

Do u suggest me to check anything else? The php.ini on their server? That is configured- that's why PS step 2 shows all checked/valid.

do you enable some PHP cache like memcached or APC? if yes then i suggest disable at installation time.

do you enable some PHP cache like memcached or APC? if yes then i suggest disable at installation time.

Dear vynx, i don't understand how you can change MEMCACHED or APC settings of Prestashop without even installing it! What option you referring on the step 1?

Have a look: http://luvfromengland.com//LuvFromEngland/install--/index.php

I checked my host's php.ini file for my site and obviously that file doesn't deal with MEMCACHED. And that value and its details are actually saved in the prestashop database, which will born once setup is complete.

Could you be a bit more specific.

Thanks for your reply.

Edited by shakeosm (see edit history)

I have the same exact problem. I'm meeting every single requirement on step 2 and when I hit next it gets me back to step 1. I'm on VPS on CentOS 6 x64.

:D Hi Nico, until a solution is being found- install PS v1.4.9, and and use 1click upgrade using a PS module. Your v1.4.9 will become v1.5 in 5 minutes.

Sometimes better to follow alternate route if the simple route doesn't take u to the destination. We can't wait till PS finds the reason!

Take care. happy Presta(Pain) Shopping!

• Like 1

:D Hi Nico, until a solution is being found- install PS v1.4.9, and and use 1click upgrade using a PS module. Your v1.4.9 will become v1.5 in 5 minutes.

Sometimes better to follow alternate route if the simple route doesn't take u to the destination. We can't wait till PS finds the reason!

Take care. happy Presta(Pain) Shopping!

That just did it! Thank you :)

Thank you shakeosm for the solution. We are working hard to make sure that our newest version is able to install on all servers. If you could shakeosm, and NicotineLL, post your Server Configurations so I can report this back and we can run our own tests and investigate what the initial problem is. Thank you for choosing PrestaShop!

Thank you shakeosm for the solution. We are working hard to make sure that our newest version is able to install on all servers. If you could shakeosm, and NicotineLL, post your Server Configurations so I can report this back and we can run our own tests and investigate what the initial problem is. Thank you for choosing PrestaShop!

Hello Benjamin,

I've tried some hit&run test. From Installation page, i refreshed it 5 times, hoping to get any entry in the Error Log, but no entry. Same on second page. refreshed 5 times.. and tried to proceed to step 3- again 5 times, but no entry in the Error log, at all.

Funny thing is- I set to my PHP version to 4, and "Installation Step2" still shows the "Is PHP 5.1.2 or later installed ?" as yes, Green checked. I refreshed it several times, and checked my PHP settings, but still "Step2" shows Checked and YES. Hilarious! But sad for me.

Tried on PHP5.3, no luck, no entry in Error Log, so came back to 5.2. Platform Type: Debian MySQL Version: 5.0.[spam-filter]log Perl Version: 5.8.8 PHP Version: 5.3.13 Hope these helps. And Im not interested anymore to install v1.5. Writing u these to help others. My client has already started business activities.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dear All

I tried to upgrade my store as per "shakeosm" but failed again I have the following error and can't do auto upgrade. from 1.4.9 to 1.5.2

Error:

Your store root directory is writeable (appropriate CHMOD permissions) Directory /hermes/waloraweb014/b1582/moo.naqaha/ is not writable

I checked FATCOW and I found these texts this may help to solve this problem.

From FATCOW:

If you are using real directory paths (paths that start with "/hermes/webxx/"), you need to replace them with the correct symbolic paths ("/home/users/web/"), which are fully compatible with our shared hosting architecture.

I will really appreciate if someone can guide me how to fix this problem.

Edited by Jamshaid Hashmi (see edit history)

Dear All

I tried to upgrade my store as per "shakeosm" but failed again I have the following error and can't do auto upgrade. from 1.4.9 to 1.5.2

Error:

Your store root directory is writeable (appropriate CHMOD permissions) Directory /hermes/waloraweb014/b1582/moo.naqaha/ is not writable

I checked FATCOW and I found these texts this may help to solve this problem.

From FATCOW:

If you are using real directory paths (paths that start with "/hermes/webxx/"), you need to replace them with the correct symbolic paths ("/home/users/web/"), which are fully compatible with our shared hosting architecture.

I will really appreciate if someone can guide me how to fix this problem.

Hi Jamshaid,

Lokos like u r trying on your PC, using wamp. Where exactly you have kept your Prestshop folder? Normally it is advised to keep in "C:\wamp\www\". And once you have your Prestashop folder copied there- right click and go to Properties, and check the "Attribute" section-> if the Readonly check box is ticked. Untick that and click OK and if a Dialog box appears then click on the "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders, and files" and click ok. This will make the entire directory writeable.

And, if you have tried that on your Fatcow server- then using FTP- go to your PrestaShop folder. Select it and right click-> Properties. And you will see the "Permission" box at the bottom section. Usually it should be 755, giving you permission to Read/Write/Execute. And Apply the changes.

Then try again. Hope this will help, else I am sorry- maybe didn't understand your problem.

Once you can install successfully- please let me know how is the performance. I am using iPage, based in USA, which is same group of Fatcow. My Site is very slow. Like a Donkey. Let me know how do you find the performance. Is it PrestaShop or iPage/Fatcow issue.

Take care.

Thanks, shakeosm for your reply.

I have no problem with local serve but FATCOW. I will try your suggestions then come back to you... hope that will work. actually I moved all files and folders from /prestashop to /root and yes you are right 100% about site slowness, I think I need to move from FATCOW to blue host or something else.

thanks.

Thanks, shakeosm for your reply.

I have no problem with local serve but FATCOW. I will try your suggestions then come back to you... hope that will work. actually I moved all files and folders from /prestashop to /root and yes you are right 100% about site slowness, I think I need to move from FATCOW to blue host or something else.

thanks.

Aha.. actually my brother has hosted one in UK server, and his speed seems OK with Prestashop. I am not saying GOOD.. :P

But, still i dont like these CMS guys- they don't use Views/StoredProcedures, and they pass 1Mile long in-line SQL when your site loads. In Line SQL are against Database Developers' style. Someone said and I checked- that PrestaShop sends more than 100 in-Line SQL when it loads.

And the "Category" block reads from DB every time you load a page which has Category block. And that is also another crap. I am gonna make one myself. Dreamweaver will help a lot. They have PHP snippets to make your life easier for Password/Membership and others.

One thing I didn't notice- the time we spent struggling with the readymade CMS- we could make our own CMS. Even shopping basket can be done easily. We rely on the CMS and waste more time there, while we have to accept whatever they say about the performance. But not eveyone is having trouble.. :P

I am so pissed off with CMS- I am doing my next CMS on ASP.net 4, on windows platform.

Take care.

• Like 1

On Ipage I had the issue with installing 1.5 going from step 2 to step 1, Under CGI and Scripting Language Support/ PHP Scripting check to see what version of PHP.ini you are using.

I had previously changed this to 5.3 from 5.2, upon going back to 5.2 the install went right through.

On Ipage I had the issue with installing 1.5 going from step 2 to step 1, Under CGI and Scripting Language Support/ PHP Scripting check to see what version of PHP.ini you are using.

I had previously changed this to 5.3 from 5.2, upon going back to 5.2 the install went right through.

You are really a lucky one..!! I tried all.. even when I set PHP version to 4, still Prestashop startup check says my settings are fine, which is absolutely false. As PS requirement is PHP5+. So, I tried with all 5.x, no luck. Enjoy man!

Thanks....

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I've the same problem i try to install prestashop 1.5.3.1 on fatcow, but every attempt the setup process go back from step 2 to step 1

If you use the automatic installation script the version 1.5.2 works fine but the absolute path is wrong "/hermes/webxx/" !

Some one know how to change with the correct path "/home/users/web/" ?

I don't know if also with version 1.5.3.1 the absolute path is wrong because i'm not able to install this version :\)

Some one have solved the problem ?

This is an issue with your PHP.ini file and sessions, look for the variable session.save_path, will look like code below, you need to enter a path to your cgi-bin tmp file similar to below.

Or call your host and have them set this correctly for you, I fixed straybulletcustoms with this last night.

(the yourdomain does not include the .com)

(should look similar to this)

session.save_path = /home/users/web/b1447/ipg.yourdomain/cgi-bin/tmp

I'm installing prestashop 1.5.3.1 on Ipage and i'm having the same problem, here is my log file

20130204T190433: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
PHP Warning:  session_start(): open(/var/php_sessions/sess_9b9d48b76ad3bcc693cca514ce203a5e, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /hermes/bosweb/web254/b2544/ipg.taboolatinocom1/install/classes/session.php on line 44
PHP Warning:  Unknown: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_9b9d48b76ad3bcc693cca514ce203a5e, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning:  Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct
20130204T190433: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
PHP Warning:  session_start(): open(/var/php_sessions/sess_f20ac675a50ccc6a46859d415e78563c, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /hermes/bosweb/web254/b2544/ipg.taboolatinocom1/install/classes/session.php on line 44
PHP Warning:  Unknown: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_f20ac675a50ccc6a46859d415e78563c, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning:  Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct
20130204T190638: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
PHP Warning:  session_start(): open(/var/php_sessions/sess_1e3794d9378f668c80b09fb90855e6e7, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /hermes/bosweb/web254/b2544/ipg.taboolatinocom1/install/classes/session.php on line 44
PHP Warning:  Unknown: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_1e3794d9378f668c80b09fb90855e6e7, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0
20130204T190732: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
PHP Warning:  session_start(): open(/var/php_sessions/sess_1d5812ddde46286e901fbe225be3fba6, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /hermes/bosweb/web254/b2544/ipg.taboolatinocom1/install/classes/session.php on line 44
PHP Warning:  Unknown: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_1d5812ddde46286e901fbe225be3fba6, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0
20130204T190800: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
PHP Warning:  session_start(): open(/var/php_sessions/sess_1e3794d9378f668c80b09fb90855e6e7, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /hermes/bosweb/web254/b2544/ipg.taboolatinocom1/install/classes/session.php on line 44
PHP Warning:  Unknown: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_1e3794d9378f668c80b09fb90855e6e7, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0
20130204T190938: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
PHP Warning:  session_start(): open(/var/php_sessions/sess_f20ac675a50ccc6a46859d415e78563c, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /hermes/bosweb/web254/b2544/ipg.taboolatinocom1/install/classes/session.php on line 44
PHP Warning:  Unknown: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_f20ac675a50ccc6a46859d415e78563c, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0
20130204T191056: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T191127: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T191139: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T191147: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T191158: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T191201: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T191207: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T191236: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T192142: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
PHP Warning:  session_start(): open(/var/php_sessions/sess_6791a58ba366f8310644fb2034766eac, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /hermes/bosweb/web254/b2544/ipg.taboolatinocom1/install/classes/session.php on line 44
PHP Warning:  Unknown: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_6791a58ba366f8310644fb2034766eac, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0
20130204T192237: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
PHP Warning:  session_start(): open(/var/php_sessions/sess_531c7ad8c24b8134dd17f379b4712a5a, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /hermes/bosweb/web254/b2544/ipg.taboolatinocom1/install/classes/session.php on line 44
PHP Warning:  Unknown: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_531c7ad8c24b8134dd17f379b4712a5a, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0
20130204T192303: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
PHP Warning:  session_start(): open(/var/php_sessions/sess_0d45169027bd05fa858a2a01e7cb01c5, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /hermes/bosweb/web254/b2544/ipg.taboolatinocom1/install/classes/session.php on line 44
PHP Warning:  Unknown: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_0d45169027bd05fa858a2a01e7cb01c5, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0
20130204T192309: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
PHP Warning:  session_start(): open(/var/php_sessions/sess_6791a58ba366f8310644fb2034766eac, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /hermes/bosweb/web254/b2544/ipg.taboolatinocom1/install/classes/session.php on line 44
PHP Warning:  Unknown: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_6791a58ba366f8310644fb2034766eac, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0
20130204T192527: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T192532: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
PHP Warning:  session_start(): open(/var/php_sessions/sess_fcd8bbc240b99f4c8a5f275b986c98bf, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /hermes/bosweb/web254/b2544/ipg.taboolatinocom1/install/classes/session.php on line 44
PHP Warning:  Unknown: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_fcd8bbc240b99f4c8a5f275b986c98bf, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0
20130204T192534: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T192540: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T192555: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T192603: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T192607: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T192801: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T194428: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T194436: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T194444: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T194847: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T200614: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T200635: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T200653: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130204T200745: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130206T232804: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130206T232826: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130206T232832: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130206T232851: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130206T234957: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
PHP Warning:  session_start() [<a href='function.session-start'>function.session-start</a>]: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_f20ac675a50ccc6a46859d415e78563c, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /hermes/bosweb/web254/b2544/ipg.taboolatinocom1/install/classes/session.php on line 44
PHP Warning:  Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please v
20130206T235005: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
PHP Warning:  session_start() [<a href='function.session-start'>function.session-start</a>]: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_1e3794d9378f668c80b09fb90855e6e7, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /hermes/bosweb/web254/b2544/ipg.taboolatinocom1/install/classes/session.php on line 44
20130206T235018: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
PHP Warning:  session_start() [<a href='function.session-start'>function.session-start</a>]: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_1e3794d9378f668c80b09fb90855e6e7, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /hermes/bosweb/web254/b2544/ipg.taboolatinocom1/install/classes/session.php on line 44
20130206T235029: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130206T235033: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130206T235039: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130206T235326: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130206T235329: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130206T235329: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130206T235333: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130206T235333: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130206T235339: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130206T235342: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130206T235359: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130206T235404: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130206T235412: taboolatino.com/install/index.php
20130206T235422: taboolatino.com/install/index.php

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i facing the same problem, cant go pass step 2 , even cant select other languages, i checked my server log manager : it show

PHP Notice: Undefined index: HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE in /httpdocs/install/classes/languages.php on line 189

please advice.

wai king

Edited by waiking (see edit history)

• 6 months later...

i facing the same problem, cant go pass step 2 , even cant select other languages, i checked my server log manager : it show

PHP Notice: Undefined index: HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE in /httpdocs/install/classes/languages.php on line 189

please advice.

wai king

Same problem

Any help?

Cant choose languages, neither pass step 2

• 3 months later...

Solved by doing like explaned below with prestashop 1.5.6.1 on ipage.com.

0 - Login to your ipage Control Panel and navigate to: CGI and Scripted Language Support > PHP Scripting 

1 - take note (copy to clipboard) of the "Path to your Web document root" it is at the top of the page in bold text.

/home/users/web/*****/ipg.yourdomain

2 - Select Default PHP Version -> switch to 5.2;

3 - Edit your php.ini file for PHP 5.2 ->change this line (just comment it):

session.save_path = "/var/php_sessions"

and replace with this:

session.save_path = "/home/users/web/*****/ipg.yourdomain"

4 - additional hint, change memory size by changing the memory from 16M to 512M

memory_limit = 16M