(solved) Shared hosting to VPS problems migrating

Hello everyone

I have had to change from shared hosting to a VPS because the load was causing too many issues.

I FTP'd to my old hosting - copied every single file to my hard drive.

Made a back up from within prestashop BO

Exported my sql from the old servers myphp

new vps

Linux centos 6 VPS

Uploaded via FTP to my new vps

copied my sql onto my new myphp server

Database names are identical on old and new, and ive amended localhost for the new server

Whatever i do my site will not load, it just wont load - am i missing something out here? the instructions to migrate seemed straight forward.

If i do a fresh presta install that works fine. Is there anyway of doing a fresh install and copying products and modules and images etc across, or does someone know where i might be going wrong.

I would be massively greatful of your help, with the site down i will be losing hundreds of pounds a day.

Thanks in advance

Edited by clairadams (see edit history)

Mike thanks for your reply.

To my knowledge - Yes i have followed every single one of those steps

The only differences are..

Old database had an address to get to it, new one is just local host.

But when i use localhost in a new presta install it works fine?

Thats just it Mike, there is no error for me to try and "decrypt"

I just get a standard internet explorer error of web page may be down or under construction. I really do appreciate your help

When you create your domain via plesk or cpanel part of that creates files that differs by hosting..(but generally they have site under construction or something to that effect..

.did you first clean out the files created automatically when you generated your domain name? look for index.html, this is probably being picked up...delete it...or use http://yoururl.something/index.php and see if that works.

Edited by elpatron (see edit history)

thanks for the response, i was hoping you may "show up" as i had seen you comment on other situations like this and get the problem sorted.

if you go to

www.clairadamsschoolwear.co.uk now you should see a default prestashop install. Its only if i drop all files and install mine that it fails

just imported my last back up from prestashop into php myadmin, so the site has gone down again. But will let you see the error that shows now.

now ive switched on error reporting and got the following

Notice: Use of undefined constant _RIJNDAEL_KEY_ - assumed '_RIJNDAEL_KEY_' in /var/www/vhosts/vps51048192.123-vps.co.uk/site1/classes/Cookie.php on line 76 Notice: Use of undefined constant _RIJNDAEL_IV_ - assumed '_RIJNDAEL_IV_' in /var/www/vhosts/vps51048192.123-vps.co.uk/site1/classes/Cookie.php on line 76 Fatal error: Call to undefined function mcrypt_decrypt() in /var/www/vhosts/vps51048192.123-vps.co.uk/site1/classes/Rijndael.php on line 61

this is sort of what I was talking about when it comes to vps and hosting providers....some don't do a very good job generating basic stuff...it would appear that mcrypt module is not being loaded. argh...

there is another option you could try, back office-->preferences-->

07.31.2012-22.12.21.png

http://screencast.com/t/WZi5uzW2g

I would contact my 'hosting provider' and tell them you need mcrypt as it is faster and what you were running naturally on your shared server.

Who is hosting provider for vps?

well i started off doing this as a favour, being an i.t engineer (hardware fixing) and now im installing mcrypt on a centos linux server.

All those things i had never heard of before venturing into this.

And to the people who develop things like prestashop and keep it open source - huge thumbs up to you all

All solved now. Mcrypt wasnt installed on my centos server. After having a quick google on how to do that and following the advice of the 2 above its all working nicely again

If you dont have access to install onto your server, or arent to keen on SSHing onto it then do the following to disable Mcrypt on your prestastore

You will need to use phpmyadmin to change the value directly in the database. (in your hosting cpanel)

Open phpmyadmin, select the correct database, and then select the "SQL" menu option.

Enter the following query in the text box and then click go.

UPDATE `ps_configuration` SET `value` = '0' WHERE `ps_configuration`.`name` ="PS_CIPHER_ALGORITHM";

You should then see you have access to Front Office and Back Office again

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi clairadams,

I've had to move on to a VPS as well.

The question I have for you is, how did you install mcrypt on your server? I'm completely new to servers and a bit wary of playing about with the settings.

I'm hosted with GoDaddy and they wanted nearly £4000 for two years with assistance, I opted for the £600 for two years without the assistance and when they say no assistance they mean it.

Could you post a few links and or anything else that might help me with this issue.

Cheers

Andy

• 4 months later...

First install the EPEL repo on your server

# rpm -Uvh http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/i386/epel-release-6-7.noarch.rpm

Then install the package needed with YUM:

# yum install php-mcrypt

Here is the EPEL FAQ to get you going in the right direction.

Remember to restart apache so the new PHP module is active.

/sbin/service httpd restart - thats how to restart your apache service from within the ssh terminal

• 1 month later...

now ive switched on error reporting and got the following

Notice: Use of undefined constant _RIJNDAEL_KEY_ - assumed '_RIJNDAEL_KEY_' in /var/www/vhosts/vps51048192.123-vps.co.uk/site1/classes/Cookie.php on line 76 Notice: Use of undefined constant _RIJNDAEL_IV_ - assumed '_RIJNDAEL_IV_' in /var/www/vhosts/vps51048192.123-vps.co.uk/site1/classes/Cookie.php on line 76 Fatal error: Call to undefined function mcrypt_decrypt() in /var/www/vhosts/vps51048192.123-vps.co.uk/site1/classes/Rijndael.php on line 61

oh i got error like you.

when i install prestashop in my localhost

i was not turn on

extension = php_mysql.dll

in php.ini configuration file

solver: turn on

extension = php_mysql.dll

and install prestashop again :D

• 3 months later...

Hi Christian, were you trying to migrate your store and didn't have access to it? Did this involve mycrypt? Thanks for explaining the problem and solution, it would really help other users who encounter the same issue. 

Hi Benjamin,

I moved from xampp to to a VPS at Hosteurope.

The crypt Option was set to mcrypt on xampp, this option is not compiled into the CGI-Version of PHP5 at Hosteurope.

After migrating the only thing I saw on both BO and FO was a blank page, on Chrome a 500-server error.

I switched on debugging in PS and saw that mcrypt was the problem.

By following the suggestion

UPDATE `ps_configuration` SET `value` = '0' WHERE `ps_configuration`.`name` ="PS_CIPHER_ALGORITHM";

I switched to blowfish and the site was working again.

However, I could not login (wrong password), probably a crypt_key, cookie problem.

So I set blowfish instead of mcrypt on my xampp installation, again migrated the database and the config folder, changed the database setup in the settings.inc to the values for Hosteurope DB and the site worked flawless.

Best regards,

Christian

• Like 1

Hi Benjamin,

I moved from xampp to to a VPS at Hosteurope.

The crypt Option was set to mcrypt on xampp, this option is not compiled into the CGI-Version of PHP5 at Hosteurope.

After migrating the only thing I saw on both BO and FO was a blank page, on Chrome a 500-server error.

I switched on debugging in PS and saw that mcrypt was the problem.

By following the suggestion

I switched to blowfish and the site was working again.

However, I could not login (wrong password), probably a crypt_key, cookie problem.

So I set blowfish instead of mcrypt on my xampp installation, again migrated the database and the config folder, changed the database setup in the settings.inc to the values for Hosteurope DB and the site worked flawless.

Best regards,

Christian

So basically, if you are moving from a local to a live server, or migrating your servers. It is important to check the mycrypt installation.

If you have mycrypt installed already, make sure that the server that you are moving to has mycrypt already installed as well. If not, then make sure to switch to "blowfish" method before migrating. 

Does that sound about right? Thank you for the detailed information! It really helps us all here.