[Solved] Move From Temporary Sub Domain Folder To "live" Domain.

I may have created a problem for myself - as follows:

I installed prestashop (future stitchbin.com) on my server, under heartofdixiequiltshop.com and as a sub folder so I could build my site before I had my live domain.

http://www.heartofdi...shop.com/Presta This will be stitchbin.com, instead

Now, I have my domain (stitchbin.com) purchased and set up on my server (along with heartofdixiequitlshop.com). So, I have 2 live domains on my server: 1.) heartofdixiequiltshop.com (not a Prestashop cart) and 2.) stitchbin.com (Prestashop cart)

My problem is that I don't know how to transfer my Prestashop files to my new domain (stitchbin.com) from the sub directory of heartofdixiequitlshop.com (heartofdixiequiltshop.com/Presta)

How do I go about making the move without losing everything I have been working on?

Hope I didn't create a real mess! :(

Thank you in advance!

so lets assume 3 things

1) heartofdixiequitlshop.com is in a folder called "public_html"

2) stitchbin.com is in a folder called "public_html/Presta"

3) you have create a sub-domain called stitchbin, and so there is a folder "public_html/stitchbin" where you need to place stitchbin.com

so a couple of ways to do this.

1) you can simply rename stitchbin to stitchbin.old. and then rename Presta to stitchbin. then go into your prestashop config/settings.inc.php and change the '__PS_BASE_URI__' to "stitchbin". there may be some folders under stitchbin.old that you would have to move to the new stitchbin. things like cgi, stats etc... that your host may need to work properly.

2) using ftp download the contents of Presta to your local computer. once complete, upload it all to "stitchbin". then go into your prestashop config/settings.inc.php and change the '__PS_BASE_URI__' to "stitchbin".

after you do the above, log into your back office and change the domain from heartofdixiequitlshop.com to stitchbin.com in the Preferences | SEO & URLs section

Thank you so much, Bellini.

Actually, now my website is here: public_html/heartofdixiequiltshop.com/Presta

I have an empty sub domain folder (only cgi-bin folder in it) here: public_html/stitchbin.com

Does that mean I can rename the Presta file to stitchbin.com as you mentioned in step 1) above? Then change the '__PS_BASE_URI__' to "stitchbin". That should be it, except for the changes I can make in the back office under Preferences?

almost had it...

1) rename "stitchbin.com" to "stitchbin.com.old".

2) rename "Presta" to "stitchbin.com".

3) copy that cgi-bin folder from "stitchbin.com.old" to "stitchbin.com"

4) change the '__PS_BASE_URI__' from "Presta" to "stitchbin.com"

5) update the domain in the back office

basically, that will involve the following steps

1) on your temporary site, perform a database backup from either the back office or from phpmyadmin.

2) import that into your live database using phpmyadmin

3) using ftp, upload all of your files to your host

4) edit the /config/settings.inc.php. change the _DB_SERVER_, _DB_NAME_, _DB_USER_, _DB_PASSWD_, _DB_PREFIX_, _MYSQL_ENGINE_ and __PS_BASE_URI__ appropriately to match your live server settings.

5) go to the live back office and update the domain to your live domain, the back office should warn you about this.

you likely need to re-create the .htaccess and robot files.

• Like 1

Hi Bellini

Thanks for your help

I have change the _DB_SERVER_, _DB_NAME_, _DB_USER_, _DB_PASSWD_ settings

How do i find out the live server settings for the _DB_PREFIX_, _MYSQL_ENGINE_ and __PS_BASE_URI__

.Plus could you explain how to re-create the .htaccess and robot files.

Many Thanks

Gary

How do i find out the live server settings for the _DB_PREFIX_, _MYSQL_ENGINE_ and __PS_BASE_URI__

you can use phpmyadmin to confirm _DB_PREFIX_ and _MYSQL_ENGINE_. The settings are likely...

define('_DB_PREFIX_', 'ps_');
define('_MYSQL_ENGINE_', 'MyISAM');

The engine could also be

define('_MYSQL_ENGINE_', 'InnoDB');

The __PS_BASE_URI__ depends on the folder that you installed the shop in. If it is directly under public_html then it should be

define('__PS_BASE_URI__', '/');

If you placed the shop under a subfolder, like /public_html/shop/ then the setting would be

define('__PS_BASE_URI__', '/shop/');

you generate the .htaccess and robot files using the back office, under tools | generators

Hi Mike

I have tried the AutoUpgrade module you said about

I followed all the steps . All the option below have a tick by them .

But when i press upgrade prestashop now . Nothing happends

Do you know why . Or what else i can try

All the following points must be ok in order to allow the upgrade.

Root directory : /home/a6351283/public_html

Module version : Your version is up-to-date (0.2.2)

Root directory status : fully writable

Upgrade available : This release allows autoupgrade.

Shop deactivated : Yes

PHP time limit : disabled

Options chosen : autoupgrade configuration ok - Modify your options

Many thanks for all your help

Gary

Hi Mike

Sorry im not sure how to do a screen shot . Always wanted to know how lol

Thanks for all your help

Gary

The simplest way to do this would be to pull up the page, hit the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard (should be on the top row, to the right) and then paste it here. When you hit the button, it will automatically add the image to your clipboard, so you won't see anything until you try to paste it.

Alternatively, if you would like to speak with a member of our advanced support team about upgrading, you are welcome to give them a call at 888 947 6543.

-Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike

Thanks for getting back to me ..

Before i read your message . I though it would be just as easy to install a fresh ver of prestashop on a sub domain and try and add my theme .

When i did a got a error message saying bad configuration php

So i take it the theme dose not work with the upgrade .

Do you know of another way i can get the back office working . As it is not making any of the changes i do to the live site

Many Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary,

In this situation, you may want to speak with our advanced support team, because they can even take care of your upgrade for you if you're interested in having them do so. If you would like, you can either PM me with your contact information and I'll set it up, or you can call them directly at 888 947 6543.

-Mike

• 3 weeks later...

So I believe am in the right discussion place. So I had my website on "virtualitycr.com/tienda" but developed a big issue so I installed a fresh copy on "virtualitycr.com/prestatest". I renamed "/tienda" to "oldtienda" and "prestatest" to "tienda" :wacko:

I opened settings.inc and changed '__PS_BASE_URI__' to "/tienda/" and saved but not I can't access my site. Does anyone know of another file that needs to be adjusted? Thanks in adavance!

Hi tivicrdotcom,

If your original site was on the /tienda subdirectory, you shouldn't need to change anything at all when you rename the new site to /tienda, and the old one to /oldtienda because it should be set that way already.

Additionally, the site is showing up just fine for me right now. Did you switch it back?

-Mike

Mike firstable you are the best! It probably makes you feel good being able to help so many people! I actually just changed that, and cleared cache (which I forgot) and now it displays nice. I am gonna follow your advise on the background.

I changed directories because an issue I had with my prior site but it amazed me at how easy and smooth was to transition from one installation to another (which will come handy in case I need to move to another server). I didn't loose much on transition, which made my day because I thought I was gonna go back to day one.

Thanks again and best vibes!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!!! Sorry to be a pain and repeat questions but I have also created a temporary site which will be transfered tomorrow so I need to move my temporary site to the new location. My temporary site is in public_html, the new site is in public_html/www.worldofirishdancing.com

I have performed a database backup from phpmyadmin. I then imported it to the new site. I am currently uploading the original prestashop files to public_html/www.worldofirishdancing.com and I was then going to add the current themes files afterwards. does this make sence?

I am now worried about renaming the correct files as I know one little mistake can ruin everything!! Can I ask what I need to change the following to?

4) edit the /config/settings.inc.php. change the _DB_SERVER_, _DB_NAME_, _DB_USER_, _DB_PASSWD_, _DB_PREFIX_, _MYSQL_ENGINE_ and __PS_BASE_URI__ appropriately to match your live server settings.

I changed __PS_BASE_URI__ to define('__PS_BASE_URI__', '/www.worldofirishdancing.com/');

is this correct? I really dont know much about phpmyadmin.

Im really worried about messing it all up!! i need a 'for dummies' explanation please!!!

really appreciate all your help!!

Hello!!! Sorry to be a pain and repeat questions but I have also created a temporary site which will be transfered tomorrow so I need to move my temporary site to the new location. My temporary site is in public_html, the new site is in public_html/www.worldofirishdancing.com

I have performed a database backup from phpmyadmin. I then imported it to the new site. I am currently uploading the original prestashop files to public_html/www.worldofirishdancing.com and I was then going to add the current themes files afterwards. does this make sence?

I am now worried about renaming the correct files as I know one little mistake can ruin everything!! Can I ask what I need to change the following to?

I changed __PS_BASE_URI__ to define('__PS_BASE_URI__', '/www.worldofirishdancing.com/');

is this correct? I really dont know much about phpmyadmin.

Im really worried about messing it all up!! i need a 'for dummies' explanation please!!!

really appreciate all your help!!

Hi dancerdee,

Most of what you posted looks fine. However, you should change your PS_BASE_URI to just '/' because that will direct everyone to the root of your site. And as always, be sure to back it all up first!

-Mike

• 5 months later...

Ok so Im sure this has gotten a little old by now, but I have a similar problem.

I currently have my prestashop site at www.paroteesclothing.com. I am looking to change the location of this site to www.paroteesclothing.com/shop. I have copied all the files to the /shop directory on my ftp and I went into the config/settings.inc.php and changed define('__PS_BASE_URI__', ''); to define('__PS_BASE_URI__', '/shop');. Although I thought I did everything I needed to, the website does not show up.

Please someone help

• 4 years later...

Can you help out on what I need to do for my shop to change? I installed prestashop and created my shop under amittaielectronics.com/demo and now need to move it to the main folder, i.e amittaielectronics.com. I already used ftp to add it to the public html, but then when you visit www.amittaielectronics.com it displays the /demo on the browser address bar. Please help!!

try 2 things

1) delete the .htaccess file located under public_html

2) log into your back office, go to SEO & URL page and change the base path.  remove demo from it and just leave the /

if that does not work, then you may need to manually update your database to remove demo.  for that i need to know the specific version of Prestashop you are using