local installation

I have a working prestashop install on line. I was wondering about testing new themes etc but I am anxious that I could cause problems with a live site

So someone on facebook suggested a local install with XAMPP

Is it possible to do this now with the site I already have running? Is it possible to sysn? So for example test a theme locally, if it works, then 'magically' upload the modifications?

or

Are they two totally separate installations?

Hi haylau,

You can copy all of the files from your site via FTP onto a local install, but if you make any changes beyond the theme files themselves, you'll need to make them to your live install as well. However, if you only make changes to the theme files, or if you don't make any code changes at all, there should be no issues moving the theme onto your live site.

I hope this helps.

-Mike

Thanks Mike

So will the process be

Install xampp

Install Presta

restore DatabaseB from a backup

Copy files via FTP

OR

Do I miss out the initial presta install?

Tried that, getting an error message in FO and BO "Link to database cannot be established"

I did name the local database the same as the on-line one

Any ideas?

@mike -the problem is I need to see how a new theme or module will look with all the other mods I have installed. So i really do need a local "copy" of the live system.

@bellini13 - thanks tried that. Now, when I go to the FO, even though I type in localhost/prestashop/ it takes me to the online version. And I still cannot get access to the BO

I fear I am fighting losing battle

Will this work:

I have a database and file backup system from Presto-changeo. If I disable the store. Do an immediate backup, try the new theme / upgrade etc if itall works great, if not can I simply restore all the files and databse from the backup or is it possible that the new theme could leave behind debris?

For example i want to install the new prestashop version - but what if it goes wrong. Will the method above also work - I am worried that my mods will stop working (CMS pages, mods to PDF etc)

in the backoffice on your local computer, ensure you updated the URL of your store correctly. should be in preferences.

also, under the root folder of the store, which should be the folder prestashop, check if there is an .htaccess file. if so, there may be redirects in that pointing to your live site, you would need to update that.

I would not advise doing any testing against your live site, but if you try, always ensure that you have a full backup of both your web content and database content.

Technically you can always restore your website to those backs ups. Make sure you store those backups on your local computer, or even burn it to CD/DVD.