[SOLVED] Will PrestaShop Work for a large traffic site?

Hi all,

I am choosing the best Open Source CMS for my project, it's a tickets selling website which has 100k visitors and 5k+ orders/ 1 day.

My question is will PrestaShop work for it without any problems?

And is there any same-size shop based on PrestaShop out there?

If you put Links here that will be great! Thanks!

Hi dkjoomla,

As mentioned in your other post, PrestaShop can absolutely handle larger stores. The most important thing will be to select some very strong hosting, because while PrestaShop will not have any issues, that much traffic has the potential to put more of a strain on your host's server, so that will be the key.

-Mike

If your site is really that big this is the software is not for you. Its very slow in some spots. It handles many orders and many customers but does not like big customers, with many orders or many items. I have bought up this issue many times on the forum, trouble tickes from months ago are unanswered.

I am on a 300 dollar month private server so its not a lack of hardware. My site is not very large. I get 50 orders tops a day. which it handles fine. Issues is if you have any customers with 10 plus orders or they have bought many items, Say 100 items with my site and its hardware it can take 4-5 minutes for a page load.

If your PrestaShop is that slow with a 300$ server, it means that you did not configure it well.

Could you make sure that Force Compile is set to false in your Admin Panel (Preferences > Performance) ?

Is MemCache enabled ? And CCC option ?

As Mike said, there are many sites which handle 100 orders per day (and can handle many many more) with a server that cost less than 50$ / month.

Best regards,

problem resides with prestashop. trying to run to many querrys on the page.

Yes, i have all that enabled but i don't use memcache i use xcache. It runs faster for me. Every other page runs fine just the 1 page. So how can it be a server miss configure if its 1 page that runs slow only for large customers? I can open up my server logs and i can tell by the cpu spikes when i access certain customers..

Handling large orders or many orders is not the issue. Handling " customers" with large orders, or very many orders is the issue.

This page right here is a resource cpus hog for large customers.

tab=AdminCustomers&id_customer=XX&viewcustomer

If a customer has more than 20 orders and each order has 10 items it can take 5 minutes to load the customer page. With all the orders and items. I have posted trouble tickets and they have went unanswered for weeks. Issue is you have to pass thru this page to get to other areas of is the issue.

I would not need to access this page much if i could search for company names. I have customers that have many differnt people work for them and might order something and then always have to remember who the main name the account is under since i can't look up orders well in my system just by company name. Maybe my business is differnt than most as i rely on repeat business vers just 1 off sales.

The fact that your only one page of your back office is slow (seems to be related to your specific business) does not mean that PrestaShop can not handle big shop :)

When I read your first post, I understood that your shop was very slow in sereral spots with a big server even on the front office. That does not seem to be true. I'm not sure I understood your intention with this message.

Anyway, I understand that can be a problem for you. Could you send me your back office, ftp access by private message and an order id that is very slow to load ? I'm sure we can do something about it.

viewing customers information page is specific to my business? Oh my shop is very small. I just have some customers i give price breaks on my products if they resale them. So i have some customers that buy often from me.

Link i sent you by pm i believe customer has 90ish orders 600ish items . But i must go to this page quite often to see his address or edit something etc.

I know it can't only be me with the issue.

Maybe my business is differnt than most as i rely on repeat business vers just 1 off sales.

I just repeated what you said. Specific in the sens that one customer who order 600 products at once is not something you see ofter.

Anyway, as I said, you should not experienced this problem, I'll look at the access you sent me.

Hi all,

After checking some of the live demo sites using Alexa, I agree Prestashop can work for large traffic sites.

Okay. I just tried, it take less than a minute here, but I think the page is not loading completely.

But I worry that the back-end won't work with me well. So, is there a way for me to try to work in the back-end of a site which has many orders made?

Hi all,

After checking some of the live demo sites using Alexa, I agree Prestashop can work for large traffic sites.

But I worry that the back-end won't work with me well. So, is there a way for me to try to work in the back-end of a site which has many orders made?

You would have to find a kindhearted PrestaShop user willing to give you access to their site. Anyone willing to do this for dkjoomla?

-Mike

Hi dkjoomla,

No worry about the back end. You can experience slow loading only on view customer details and only if the customer has passed a large number of order with a large number of products. So it's only a very specific case for a page that not all merchants are using. But if you think, you're in the same case à Devilsown, do not worry, it will be fix quickly :)

I have to agree with Fabien. I have rarely heard of any Prestashop problems with higher traffic. Sometimes we expect eveything to happen in a split second though. We are getting kinda spoiled that way. I remember when it used to take like 5 minutes to load a very simple image to a page. Now I can almost just think it and its there! :) "It is patience, seek it we must" Yoda.

Hi all again,

There's another reason I want to test! As I've said, I want to make sure it will work well with me in managing a large number of orders in a short-time,say 2k+/ 1 day. Or at least, I want to know how much time I need to handle that number of orders since this is essential to my biz.

And , Till the moment PrestaShop seems to be the best one for me. I'll do some more research and tests, I will try to install sample data- will try to find a SQL script to install many products if possible.

Also, I'll do some other research about making a component(time and price), because I will need a Seats Map feature- it's like the "ticketmaster interactive seat map". If you have good documents and/or links to a component like that please PM me! Thanks

Quoted the above texts because I'd like to stop this topic here, since I have the result for my original question!

Thank you all,

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

After making some tests, the issue was coming about the carts list (not the orders list).

It is much faster now :)

I got same error, I did not fix yet....

I got ps v1.2.1 with VPS hosting...everything is fine but only when custome put 20 products in a cart, loading is 4-5 minute as same abobe.

How can you fixed?

problem resides with prestashop. trying to run to many querrys on the page.

Yes, i have all that enabled but i don't use memcache i use xcache. It runs faster for me. Every other page runs fine just the 1 page. So how can it be a server miss configure if its 1 page that runs slow only for large customers? I can open up my server logs and i can tell by the cpu spikes when i access certain customers..

Handling large orders or many orders is not the issue. Handling " customers" with large orders, or very many orders is the issue.

This page right here is a resource cpus hog for large customers.

tab=AdminCustomers&id_customer=XX&viewcustomer

If a customer has more than 20 orders and each order has 10 items it can take 5 minutes to load the customer page. With all the orders and items. I have posted trouble tickets and they have went unanswered for weeks. Issue is you have to pass thru this page to get to other areas of is the issue.

I would not need to access this page much if i could search for company names. I have customers that have many differnt people work for them and might order something and then always have to remember who the main name the account is under since i can't look up orders well in my system just by company name. Maybe my business is differnt than most as i rely on repeat business vers just 1 off sales.

so do i.

How can you fixed?

I got ps v1.2.1 with VPS hosting...everything is fine but only when custome put 20 products in a cart, loading is 4-5 minute as same yours.

• 3 months later...

so do i.

How can you fixed?

I got ps v1.2.1 with VPS hosting...everything is fine but only when custome put 20 products in a cart, loading is 4-5 minute as same yours.

I think you need update core to latest stable + maybe configure and install the necessary software on the server (fasteк webserver for example)

I can do it all this tasks, if you want

• Like 1

Fabien,

Is this fix included in ps1.4.0.7??

Regards

No, this fix was implemented in versions that came after December of 2011 (when it was fixed), and v1.4.0.7 was released in January of 2011.

However, you can still download the files from our SVN to replace the ones on your site, and that should fix it for you.

-Mike

Mike,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Could you possible point the files needed to be modified ?

I am looking forward to hearing from you

Regards,

Hugo

No, this fix was implemented in versions that came after December of 2011 (when it was fixed), and v1.4.0.7 was released in January of 2011.

However, you can still download the files from our SVN to replace the ones on your site, and that should fix it for you.

-Mike

• 3 weeks later...

For test purposes I just upgraded the shop from ps1.4.0.17 to ps1.4.8.2, the customer page takes 38.761sec to load when customer has 86 orders , 227 products and 86 carts.

VPS Configuration is:

- Dedicated CPU 5.4ghz

- Dedicated RAM 3896MB

- Storage 90GB

It would be nice to load just, let's say the last , 10 orders/products/carts and let the user choose if he/she wants to load/see the rest of the information in order to speed the customer page load.

Regards

Hugo

Hi Hugo,

I am checking with Fabien, the developer who implemented those changes. As soon as I hear back from him, I will be sure to let you know!

-Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Fabien

I have the same problem with my website in the back office when I check a customer cart with more than 100 items. And customers in the front end with more than 100 items can not process the checkout and make the website very slow.

Prestashop Version: 1.4.4.0

Server information: Linux #4 SMP Wed May 16 15:01:18 CDT 2012 x86_64

Server software Version: Apache

PHP Version: 5.2.17

MySQL Version: 5.5.23-55

Regards

Semir

• 3 months later...