Two Prestashop 8.1.1 versions

As you may have noticed Prestashop is no longer an independent company. The last two years it has been part of a bigger company. This company increasingly pushes to get more revenue from Prestashop. The advertising on this forum is the most visual symptom of that.

Another symptom is that there are now two versions of Prestashop 8.1.1 to download. On the Prestashop website you can download the "PRESTASHOP EDITION BASIC" with a size of 114 MB. On Github you can download a version of 80 MB.

The difference is that the "Edition Basic" contains 11 modules extra. Here is an overview:

- commercial partners (klaviyopsautomation, ps_checkout, psxmarketingwithgoogle, ps_facebook, mbeshipping)

- gamification

- ps_mbo: Marketplace in the Back Office: the second entry in the admin Modules menu.

- ps_accounts: leads your login via the Prestashop website. Problematic when you need to have more than one login account ("employee"). When you find yourself unable to update other modules ("Could not perform action update for module undefined") this module may be outdated. You can circumvent this module by clicking on the small link to an "other" login method.

- ps_edition_basic: I am not sure what it is for. It is not important. It is a major source of problems as it requires PHP 8.1 and thus torpedoes compatibility with older PHP versions.

- ps_eventbus: this is some software library for sequencing tasks. It is used by other modules, including ps_facebook. For that reason removing is not recommended. It creates a ps_eventbus_incremental_sync database table that can grow very big and may need to be truncated sometimes. Search the forum for more info.

- ps_metrics: provides some statistics and info about your shop. This is a Prestashop service. The first month is free. After that you have to pay.

- psassistant: this module was added in 8.1.2 a few weeks after the version had been introduced (yes, Prestashop make small changes to a release in the course of time). I don't know what it does.

The core version of Prestashop is maintained by the Prestashop project with Github https://github.com/PrestaShop. The extra modules are maintained by the Prestashop company with Github https://github.com/PrestaShopCorp

If anyone has additional information, please write here below.

If you want to install Prestashop with older PHP versions you should either take the Github version or take the Edition Basic version and allow it to fail the first time. You can then delete the ps_edition_basic module under the Modules directory and then click the link to retry the installation.

Edited by musicmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• razaro pinned this topic
On 9/27/2023 at 9:53 PM, manu.tecinet said:

Which version do you recommend to use?

My recommendation would be to make a selection. I really dislike ps_accounts. But ps_facebook is useful and for that you also need ps_eventbus.

When you install Prestashop gives you nowadays the option to select modules. So as long as you want some of the modules I would take the basic edition and use this option to take what you need.

47 minutes ago, fredfinger said:

Thank a lot for this useful info. I would have saved time if I had read it before. Having two different versions with the same name, how is it possible ? Will the "independant" version continue to be maintained  in the future ? 

It is an organizational issue. Prestashop is released under an opensource license and the new owner wanted for some reason a sharper distinction between the opensource activities and the rest of the company. But many of the contributions to the opensource software are still being made by Prestashop employees. So I don't expect any real split in the future.

• 5 weeks later...

The new owner of Prestashop desired, for unclear reasons without downloading WhatsApp GB, a clearer separation between the open-source initiatives and the rest of the business. Prestashop is provided under an open-source license.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I probably accidentally installed Prestashop 8.1.3 with Basic Edition. But I have a problem. The upgrade make a problem. After upgrading via 1 Click Upgrade to 8.1.4. the Basic Edition module will stop working. It actually gets deleted. Then the administration looks like the classic version of Prestashop, with the difference that it disappears from the Dashboard menu. My start page is then orders. Is there a special upgrade module for the Basic Edition version? Thank you

6 hours ago, Thedoros said:

My start page is then orders. Is there a special upgrade module for the Basic Edition version? Thank you

pretty hard to understand. How about looking for an alternative to Prestashop? Eolia, Thirtybees, Magento there are more alternatives out there.

9 minutes ago, Nickz said:

pretty hard to understand. How about looking for an alternative to Prestashop? Eolia, Thirtybees, Magento there are more alternatives out there.

Prestashop is a good system. I have mostly good experience with him for many years. however it is an upgrade issue. If the system is running well, there is no point in updating it. Every update is a lottery. in my experience. there is a lot of problem with that. i need to make money and not surf google looking for technical solutions.

• Like 1