What to update first, Prestashop or PHP on the server?

ghepas

Hello.
I need to upgrade my Prestashop version from 1.7.4.2 to 1.7.8.1 because the provider has notified the oncoming abandon of PHP 5.6.40, currently installed on the server. (The new PHP versions to switch to are 7.2 or 7.4).

To upgrade PS I would like to use the "1-Click upgrade" module (Autoupgrade).
This module has a checklist of requirements that must be met before starting the upgrade process.
In my case, among the unsatisfied requirements, of course, it is reported that, as mentioned, the current PHP version on the server is obsolete ("The PHP version your server is running on is obsolete and needs to be upgraded."). However, there is also an option to "ignore" this warning and still proceed with the PS update to the new version.

Can you please confirm that I can proceed with the update while PHP 5.6.40 is still active on the server? Immediately after that I will assign PHP version 7.4 to the server via the control panel (Directadmin) of my user area.

If, on the other hand, I update PHP first, do I run the risk of losing access to the PS back office? (because my version of PS 1.7.4.2 is not compatible with PHP 7.4) If this happens, I can no longer use the module "1-Click upgrade" (Autoupgrade).
Thanks

Edited by ghepas (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ghepas said:

I need to upgrade my Prestashop version from 1.7.4.2 to 1.7.8.1 because the provider has notified the oncoming abandon of PHP 5.6.40, currently installed on the server. (The new PHP versions to switch to are 7.2 or 7.4).

First look if your modules are apt to go with you.

Second if not calculate how long you can be with your current server (most likey shared) and look for a VPS or even dedicated server.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bnadauld said:

Old version of 1.7 needing to go to the latest on a VPS

Its not so hard.

First thing is to download all your files from the public_html or httpdoc if plesk, then download the database. You need to know a little what you are doing though.

You set up VPS with vestcp you cannot go above ubuntu 18.4. Then set up all the required dependencies.  

You can PM me if you are unsure.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dev_fati said:

have some problem , if  you find solution , replay me 

What problem do you have?

What version PS do you have? Do you need to move to another server?

On 11/28/2021 at 8:49 AM, bnadauld said:

Old version of 1.7 needing to go to the latest on a VPS

Nope you can install 1.4 if you have the files.

9 minutes ago, Nickz said:

What problem do you have?

What version PS do you have? Do you need to move to another server?

Nope you can install 1.4 if you have the files.

i have version 1.7.4.2 and i want the latest version 1.7.8.2, i use  "1-Click upgrade" module!, i change php version but some error

1 minute ago, dev_fati said:

i have version 1.7.4.2 and i want the latest version 1.7.8.2, i use  "1-Click upgrade" module!, i change php version but some error

What is the reason to go 1.7.8.2?

Did you check if your modules are able to do that move? 

Sorry late to party, if your hosting is forcing you to upgrade ps because they are dropping you php version, get better hosting that will allow you to run php compatible with your ps version.

Upgrading ps for most is difficult process and you jeopardize destroying your shop.

One should only upgrade ps to get new feature not because poor hosting company is dropping your php level.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 8:44 PM, dev_fati said:

I had similar upgrade problems caused by php versions and old modules not working. I decided to download my files and database and build a test environment in WAMP (this was to the spec of my current (ps working) hosting provider). After a lot of reading and problem-solving, it all worked. WAMP allowed me to juggle php versions and with debug on i located the offending module (in my case ap page builder) that wouldn't work past php 7.1. I suppose at this point you could settle on a less than latest php version or remove/upgrade the module/ps to suit. i killed the module. Good luck

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Antonio Caldas said:

What I usually do is to upgrade as soon as a new upgrade is out, both Presta and PHP, and I rarely have problems...

You must be aware that someone copying you and running into your rarely problems will blame you?

10 hours ago, Antonio Caldas said:

What I usually do is to upgrade as soon as a new upgrade is out, both Presta and PHP, and I rarely have problems...

I will NOT learn anything from you.  Check out my last 10k posts, not one question.  I'm not here other than to help, you should follow expert leads, if you just going to do whatever don't bother asking and wasting our time.

On 12/31/2021 at 9:39 AM, ShashaGreyBeMyBride said:

I ususally do the same. I have PHP 7.4.2.6 and PS1.7.8.1 and no problem. What I do a full domain backup, so if I have any problem I can go back. 

I actually find the PS more and more stable and I am very happy with Symfony migration and twig template usage. 

Is this not recommended? I did not go up to 8.2 this time. Shall I? Please let me know, I am always happy to learn!