Huge database

bonsaiko

Hello,

I have a website running since 2014 and the database size is 2,61Go.

First of all, would you say it's normal ? I saw a post where someone was saying its db size was 64Mo on a one-year-old site. 

Second, I'd like to empty the db a little bit to save some space. 

I saw the biggest table is ps_connections, then ps_guest and ps_connections_source (~2,3Go for these 3 tables).

Do you think i could empty these tables a bit ? I guess the're used for statistics and I don't want to lose these stats but maybe I could delete older ones (from 2014 to2018 for example).

Is there a way to do so or maybe a module ?

Thanks for your help.

Check out the Tidy Module, it can help you clean all that data (you can set it to clean entries older than 30 days for example, and also set up CRON tasks to make sure your database will not grow that large anymore).

I noticed on many shops of my customers that the smaller the database the smaller and more stable the page load time.

• Like 1

Thanks for your help. 

The only thing that bothers me, either if I delete manually or use a plugin, is that I will lose information, in particular statistics informations. 

I think it would be great to be able to export the data first, for example generate a pdf with the older statistics, and then after do the clean up. 

I will try to find a plugin to do that first.

• 1 year later...

On 1/8/2020 at 8:52 AM, Daresh said:

Check out the Tidy Module, it can help you clean all that data (you can set it to clean entries older than 30 days for example, and also set up CRON tasks to make sure your database will not grow that large anymore).

I noticed on many shops of my customers that the smaller the database the smaller and more stable the page load time.

Thank you very much Daresh, great module, i reduce my database from 180MB to 37MB

• Like 1

I use a free module to empty lots of tables inc the ones you specify - these are the ones that bots tend to generate and pour sand in the cogs of the database. This works like a dream but note that you dont want to be clearing out the guest tables all th time if your doing abandoned cart emails etc you might kill potential new customers that way

my presta.png

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 1/8/2020 at 6:05 AM, bonsaiko said:

Thanks for your help. 

The only thing that bothers me, either if I delete manually or use a plugin, is that I will lose information, in particular statistics informations. 

I think it would be great to be able to export the data first, for example generate a pdf with the older statistics, and then after do the clean up. 

I will try to find a plugin to do that first.

I think when a website gets a lot of users, it is time for a second server just for MySQL. This will separate lots of tasks and you will feel the change.