Changes needed for themes to be compatible with 1.6

monnoval

Hi All,

First post here.

Just a quick question regarding themes to be compatible with 1.6. I'm just concerned on the changes done for default-bootstrap theme, haven't tested or worked thoroughly on the 1.6 theme side yet, but the with regards to the work/changes done in the bootstrap theme, is there like a "changes needed to do" from themes created in 1.5 to be compatible with 1.6?

The main thing here is I'm working on a theme in 1.5 and I'm just would want to look in the near future on support for 1.6.

Thanks everyone in advance!

Hi All,

First post here.

Just a quick question regarding themes to be compatible with 1.6. I'm just concerned on the changes done for default-bootstrap theme, haven't tested or worked thoroughly on the 1.6 theme side yet, but the with regards to the work/changes done in the bootstrap theme, is there like a "changes needed to do" from themes created in 1.5 to be compatible with 1.6?

The main thing here is I'm working on a theme in 1.5 and I'm just would want to look in the near future on support for 1.6.

Thanks everyone in advance!

You need to make changes, because the new "default" modules uses responsive classes and have different functions - see here -> http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/Making+your+module+work+with+Bootstrap , also your back office modules should also be responsive. In other words, most probably 95% of the 1.5.x themes won't be compatible with 1.6.x out of the box. However they may be adapted.

• Like 1

@vekia

Sure will do test.

--

You need to make changes, because the new "default" modules uses responsive classes and have different functions - see here -> http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/Making+your+module+work+with+Bootstrap , also your back office modules should also be responsive. In other words, most probably 95% of the 1.5.x themes won't be compatible with 1.6.x out of the box. However they may be adapted.

@Dreamtheme 

By saying "won't be compatible", do you mean that the theme would work but still needs to adapt using bootstrap css classes? 

I read the page you linked to, looks like the whole prestashop 1.6 theming is tightly integrated with Bootstrap conventions, which come into my mind that I cannot just use any framework such as Foundation or Gumby. Or much worse, I'm not able to go away with bootstrap conventions. 

Please do correct me if wrong. Thanks

Edited by monnoval (see edit history)

What i mean by "won't be compatible" is that theme itself would work, however from what i have seen so far, every native module is changed, that mean that your layout will be broken by native modules, because they work in different way.

Keep in mind that modules in 1.6 are also responsive in the back office too, so even if you got them easy on the front end, you still need to rework your modules to fit new responsive back office, otherwise you will break the layout of the back office.

It will be easier and faster to recreate your theme on the base of the 1.6 default instead of trying to adapt old 1.5.x theme structure to a new one, or, you can create your own theme structure on  Foundation or whatever, but you will still have to work on every native module too. Ofcourse the second option is the best one, but i'm not sure it is worth for one single project.

My advice is postpone 1.5.x theme and start working on 1.6.x when they release RC version. 1.6 is expected to to be released by the end of the year or january, so your 1.5.x theme will be short lived anyway.

@dreamtheme, not really broken. One simple fix to make a current theme compatible would be to use template overrides. Override all of the template files for default modules to 1.5 versions of the templates. 

• Like 1

Dreamtheme is right that it will not work out of the box. The minimum is to adapt modules that have config screen to new responsive backoffice and fix module positions (there are new modules that add stuff, like themeconfigurator). That can be quite easy for simple themes. But what about the future 1.6.x upgrades. I believe most of themes are derived from default theme (to make upgrades easier) and the new bootstrap default theme is very different. So it will make future 1.6.x upgrades of themes based on old 1.5 theme quite complicated.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked into the source code of 1.6 default-bootstrap just now. I never thought the transition from 1.5 to 1.6 would be this complicated. 

At the same time, I'm quite skeptic how the scss/sass has been handled in default-bootstrap. I think the best approach for me now is to continue working with 1.5 then wait for 1.6 to reach RC. 

• 2 months later...

At the same time, I'm quite skeptic how the scss/sass has been handled in default-bootstrap. I think the best approach for me now is to continue working with 1.5 then wait for 1.6 to reach RC. 

This is not too complicated. You can use http://mhs.github.io/scout-app/ to parse the scss files and they will be compiled to css automatically, when you edit a scss file.

However, there is on thing that IS confusing. global.sass ... the most important css file comes as sass file while all other files are scss files. sass files have another structure and it is more complicated to edit them because scout will throw an error while parsing global.sass. There are sass => scss converters around but there are still some tweaks necessary to make it a valid scss file.

I think global.sass should come as scss file too. Throwing a single sass file wihtin all the other scss files isn't a good decision (especially not when it is the file with the most important css rules). sass is the old file format while scss files are much more easier to edit. global.sass as sass file is an unnecessary complicacy. Don't know why it has changed to .sass. The first versions of the theme had a global.scss too.

Edited by prestamax (see edit history)
  • Like 1

if you theme requires java loaded at the top...you will (may) need to re-work it as of now 'all' java is loaded at the bottom of the page.  I did a 'little' testing of 1.5.6 compatible theme, product attributes do not work because products.js called at bottom.

here is post for review

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/311805-why-js-files-in-end-of-body-in-16/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, is there a way i can adapt only the QuickView Model or do i have to override the bootstrap theme, i already have once theme and coded most part to be as fluid as possible however the QuickView is just so awesome, does that mean i have to override all my JS. thanks ?