Shipping settings again - Can it really be this hard?

Hi guys,

I still have issues with getting the shipping set up. I have read just about every shipping topic on the forum and I have tried as many BO settings as I can find.

I sell to a single country where the shipping fee to each State is different.

I would simply like to set the weight range shipping fees relative to a state rather than a zone. Is this at all possible?

If not, how would I hard code it? Which file would need to be edited?

Very much appreciate some advice here, I've been hours on it and it's driving me nuts.

Cheers.

• 3 months later...

I'm trying to do the same thing since integrate UPS seems to be a lot complicated.
I think this is flaw of Prestashop, you are able to set up prices by Zone/Range but Zones can only be Countries or Continents but not states.
Having a price per pound for each state is a simple rule to apply the shipping cost but the back office doesn't let you have an state as zone.
I'd also appreciate if someone could gve a tweak around this.
Thanks

I'm trying to do the same thing since integrate UPS seems to be a lot complicated.
I think this is flaw of Prestashop, you are able to set up prices by Zone/Range but Zones can only be Countries or Continents but not states.
Having a price per pound for each state is a simple rule to apply the shipping cost but the back office doesn't let you have an state as zone.
I'd also appreciate if someone could gve a tweak around this.
Thanks

I've managed to get a handle on getting shipping set up since this thread started and have it working on both 1.3.7 and 1.4.3 versions.

Let me know exactly how you are trying to set up your shipping and I'll see if I can help.
  • Like 1

Thanks for getting back. I want to use UPS as the carrier they determine their rates based on the weight and zip code. Prestashop doesn't allow you to set up zones but zip codes. I just came out with a solution which is very time consuming since I have to set up a lot of zones and weight ranges and prices. I went through UPS documentation to use the sames zones they have per zip codes but per states. Then I'll create 8 zones, each zones will include various states. Then I'll create the weight ranges and will set up the price according to UPS price per lbs on each zone.
As you can see is a very laborious task, not counting that I already went over all zip codes segments from UPS documentation to determine what state correspond to each segment.
I hope your solution is a little more easier to configure.
Thanks

Thanks for getting back. I want to use UPS as the carrier they determine their rates based on the weight and zip code. Prestashop doesn't allow you to set up zones but zip codes. I just came out with a solution which is very time consuming since I have to set up a lot of zones and weight ranges and prices. I went through UPS documentation to use the sames zones they have per zip codes but per states. Then I'll create 8 zones, each zones will include various states. Then I'll create the weight ranges and will set up the price according to UPS price per lbs on each zone.
As you can see is a very laborious task, not counting that I already went over all zip codes segments from UPS documentation to determine what state correspond to each segment.
I hope your solution is a little more easier to configure.
Thanks

Hi,

I think you have just about hit the nail on the head and unfortunately it does require a lot of time consuming data entry.
My suggestion would have been to create some zones the same as your carrier and apply the relevant states to each.

If you are located in the USA, half the work is done for you by the inclusion of all the states already. If not, get ready for wearing your keyboard out.

I have just done this for Thailand with 10 zones and 76 provinces and it was slow going. It's worth it in the long run though as they can be exported/imported into other databases for future use.

I have also just done one for the UK but fortunately I kind prestashop user devised a database import for all the zones and states and made it available on the forum. Saved hours of work.

Hope your endeavour is successful.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!!

This is directed mainly at Dave L as he seems to have his head around the shipping functions on the 1.4 presta shop. I am getting this message in the front end when someone is checking out. 'There are no carriers available that deliver to this address'.

I only want to send to the UK and I have created 2 carriers (Royal Post first class / Royal Post Special Delivery). The Zone I am selecting the United Kingdom and I have deselected every country other than the UK within the Countries tab. I have nothing selected in counties or states. I have set price ranges from 0 to 10000 and I have put in the weight ranges eg 0-2kg, 2-4kg, 4-6kgs etc.

Do you have any idea what the problem might be?

Many Thanks in advance

Melly P

Hello!!

This is directed mainly at Dave L as he seems to have his head around the shipping functions on the 1.4 presta shop. I am getting this message in the front end when someone is checking out. 'There are no carriers available that deliver to this address'.

I only want to send to the UK and I have created 2 carriers (Royal Post first class / Royal Post Special Delivery). The Zone I am selecting the United Kingdom and I have deselected every country other than the UK within the Countries tab. I have nothing selected in counties or states. I have set price ranges from 0 to 10000 and I have put in the weight ranges eg 0-2kg, 2-4kg, 4-6kgs etc.

Do you have any idea what the problem might be?

Many Thanks in advance

Melly P

Hi Melly,

I'll try and help if I can.

The first thing I have noted from your post is that you said you had set both price and weight ranges. Unfortunately, prestashop can only be configured to use one or the other. Not both at the same time.

When the message 'There are no carriers available that deliver to this address' appears it means that the customers address is outside of the area of the zones you set up or that the products in the cart exceed the price/weight range you set up.

In the latter case your carrier option is that when it's outside the price/weight range it will either disable the 'carrier' or 'apply the cost of the highest defined range' depending on the option you selected in the carrier set up.

If this doesn't help, let me know exactly what you want to achieve in your delivery options and we'll take it from there.

Regards.

Hi Dave L

Thanks very much for your help. I have removed all of the carriers in the weight range and unfortunately this doesn't seem to have fixed it. I think it may be as you suggested something to do with the zone and the fact that I only want to have the products available to be delivered within the UK. I would very much appreciate your offered help to have a further look at it yourself. I will forward you a set of login details.

Basically I want to use the Royal Post to deliver across the UK. I want to give the option of either first class or special delivery(which is the more expensive option). I want the delivery to be calculated by weight per delivery address. As mentioned, at the moment I am just getting a message saying that 'there are no carriers available to deliver to that address' when attempting to check out. Also there is no shipping being charged.

I also have another problem that has emerged during checkout which is sending up an error if you try to remove something from the cart, i'm not sure if these might be related.

Thanks so much for your help!

MellyP

Hi Dave L

Thanks very much for your help. I have removed all of the carriers in the weight range and unfortunately this doesn't seem to have fixed it. I think it may be as you suggested something to do with the zone and the fact that I only want to have the products available to be delivered within the UK. I would very much appreciate your offered help to have a further look at it yourself. I will forward you a set of login details.

Basically I want to use the Royal Post to deliver across the UK. I want to give the option of either first class or special delivery(which is the more expensive option). I want the delivery to be calculated by weight per delivery address. As mentioned, at the moment I am just getting a message saying that 'there are no carriers available to deliver to that address' when attempting to check out. Also there is no shipping being charged.

I also have another problem that has emerged during checkout which is sending up an error if you try to remove something from the cart, i'm not sure if these might be related.

Thanks so much for your help!

MellyP

Hi Melly,

I have had a look in your BO.

OK, your problem was that in Countries, the UK was still set for Zone Europe. I changed this to UK and it seems to be working well.

Regarding why products in the cart will not delete I have no idea. However, it may be prudent to Delete the Cart Block and upload a fresh copy from your Install files. I could eliminate the problem. If not we'll have to start looking at why.

PM sent with some other details.

Good luck.

Edit: I just did a reset on the Cart Block and it now seems to be working.

Hi Dave

Thank you so much!! That was not so technical after all. The shipping is working perfectly now.

The error message is happening only if I try to delete something out of the cart during the checkout process, if I back out to continue shopping I can delete it then without the error message. If you have any ideas that would be great.

Thanks again

Melly :D

Hi Melly,

I just had another look at the cart issue. I really can't see what would be causing this. The only thing I could suggest is to uninstall the cart block in BO modules, then delete it from the server. Then re-upload it from your install files and install in BO Modules again.

Failing that I would suggest you start a new thread about it and see if anyone with more programming experience can spot the error for you and suggest a fix.

Good Luck.

• 1 month later...

@Dave:

Since you seem to know all about this, maybe you could help me!

I've set up PS for a client.

The country is South Africa. There are 9 States (Provinces). The thing is that we have 2 carriers, that need to deliver to about 1500 towns. Fastway, delivers to certain towns in 3 States, weight range 0-15kg, with a different price for each state. Fedex delivers to the rest of the towns, also in different states, weight range 0-15kg, with one price for all states.

At this point, I'm not sure how PS uses information in States and Counties when entering the address. Could you give me any help in setting up the config for this?

I've tried setting up each town as a zone, but then I get only the default carrier - PS does not select the carrier that actually delivers to the zone checked.

At the moment, I have one town set up as a zone, with one carrier, but then i get the "There are no carriers..." error.

Please help!!!

@Dave:

Since you seem to know all about this, maybe you could help me!

I've set up PS for a client.

The country is South Africa. There are 9 States (Provinces). The thing is that we have 2 carriers, that need to deliver to about 1500 towns. Fastway, delivers to certain towns in 3 States, weight range 0-15kg, with a different price for each state. Fedex delivers to the rest of the towns, also in different states, weight range 0-15kg, with one price for all states.

At this point, I'm not sure how PS uses information in States and Counties when entering the address. Could you give me any help in setting up the config for this?

I've tried setting up each town as a zone, but then I get only the default carrier - PS does not select the carrier that actually delivers to the zone checked.

At the moment, I have one town set up as a zone, with one carrier, but then i get the "There are no carriers..." error.

Please help!!!

Hello bezzit,

I'll do whatever I can to help but I need to understand your situation a little more. What you are looking to do is possible but if I understand what you are saying there's an awful lot of data entry in terms of the towns names to be input. However, once I understand how the carriers work in SA I may be able to suggest a more concise way of setting up your shipping.

So just so I fully understand I have some questions.

Does Fastaway not deliver to 'all' towns in the 3 states, only some of them?

Fedex delivers in those same 3 states to the towns that Fastaway doesn't deliver to?

Fedex delivers to all the towns in the remaining states?

Fedex has one price for all states, including the 3 states that Fastaway delivers to?

All products fall within the 0-15kg weight range?

Multiple product are unlikely to be greater than 15kg ?

There are a total 4 different shipping fees?

How many towns does Fastaway deliver to?

Sorry for all the questions but in order to offer any help I need to fully understand the carrier/shipping used in SA.

Cheers.

Hi Dave,

Thank you soooooooooo much for getting back to me!!!!

No, Fastway only delivers to some towns in the 3 states.

Fedex delivers in those same 3 states to the towns that Fastaway doesn't deliver to?

That's right!

Right again!

Fedex has one price for all states, including the 3 states that Fastaway delivers to?

Right again!

Yes, there are only two products and both actually weigh under 1kg.

Yes, most of the visitors to the site will be private persons and the chance of them ordering a ton of the same toy is slim...

Right again!

They deliver to 52 towns.

I really don't mind the questions!!!! i'd greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

Lorraine

Hi Dave,

Thank you soooooooooo much for getting back to me!!!!

No, Fastway only delivers to some towns in the 3 states.

That's right!

Right again!

Right again!

Yes, there are only two products and both actually weigh under 1kg.

Yes, most of the visitors to the site will be private persons and the chance of them ordering a ton of the same toy is slim...

Right again!

They deliver to 52 towns.

I really don't mind the questions!!!! i'd greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

Lorraine

Hi bezzit,

Unfortunately I don't think there is going to be any short cuts with this one. The fact that Fastway doesn't deliver to all addresses of the 3 states makes what would have been a pretty straight forward set up to not so much a complex one but a data input intensive one.

Unless someone comes up with a simpler solution you are going to have to enter all of those towns.

OK lets get started.

When a customer registers an address they need to be able to select a state from a drop-down. Then, from your configuration prestashop can determine which zone the selected state is assigned to and and match it to the courier assigned to that state.

In your case you will have to rename 'state' to 'town' and enter all 1500 of them. The problem is the drop-down for the selection is going to be really long, but it's going to be required because of the Fastway and Fedex carriers and how/where they ship to.

What next:

Set up your zones - It's not really important how zones are labelled as the customer does not see them. It just paves the way to setting up the carriers. I would suggest you have 13 zones:

• Africa,
  • Eastern Cape - Fastway
  • Eastern Cape - Fedex
  • Free State
  • Gauteng - Fastway
  • Gauteng - Fedex
  • Kwazulu-Natal - Fastway
  • Kwazulu-Natal - Fedex
  • Limpopo
  • Mpumalanga
  • North West
  • Northern Cape
  • Western Cape

Countries - Assuming you are only selling withing SA disable all countries except SA. If you are familiar with your database tables you can do this in a few easy steps and save a huge load of time by following this thread http://www.prestasho...re-a-quick-way/

Then edit South Africa and set it's zone to Africa.

States - Because of your unique shipping method we are going to use the States as Towns. You can either edit the existing ones or just add new ones. Assign each town to one of the zones you set up. You will also need the iso code for each one.

Carriers - Now create your carriers. You will need 3, Fastway (1) Fastway (2) Fastway (3) and just one called Fedex. Assign each one to the repective zones, Include the number in brackets as this will help on later settings, or you can give them a more sutable name.

Weight Ranges - You will need to set up a weight range for each carrier although the weight range will be the same for them all.

Shipping Tab - Click back on the shipping tab and set handling to 0, Billing by weight and then in Fees select Fastway (1).

In the matrix that shows, enter your shipping prices in the zones/weight Range.

That should be the shipping set-up sorted, however, there may be some tweeking to do following testing. Just create a test account in the FO and adding products to the cart and go through checkout to see if it adds the correct shipping.

The in My Account, edit the address to a different town/province and test again.

There are going to be some other changes you need to make. For example, you will want to change the word 'State' to 'Town' and 'City' to Province' etc. I don't know how familiar you are with prestashop but all thes can be done in translations in the BO. You can change may 'labels' that appear in the Front Office as well as wording and 'labels' in the modules.

We'll leave it here for now and see how you get on.

Good luck.

[edit] I managed to solve my problem on my own. I explained it, if anyone else needs to know.

Hi Dave,

Considering you are so generous with help on shipping problems (which is fantastic!), could you please have a look at my post on this thread?

http://www.prestasho...__fromsearch__1

It's in regard to shipping by number of items ordered, by setting up shipping by weight.

I'd really appreciate it!

[edit] I managed to solve my problem on my own. I explained it, if anyone else needs to know.

Hi Dave,

Considering you are so generous with help on shipping problems (which is fantastic!), could you please have a look at my post on this thread?

http://www.prestasho...__fromsearch__1

It's in regard to shipping by number of items ordered, by setting up shipping by weight.

I'd really appreciate it!

Replied on the quoted thread.

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave,

Since you really seem to be the expert on this, I would really appreciate your help if you have the time.

We are also based in South Africa, but my problem is slightly different to the one Bezzit has:

We only use one carrier to deliver to all 9 provinces, but we offer the choice of either overnight or economy shipping (both using the same carrier). The carrier charges us a flat rate per KG for "Major Centres" being the capital cities, and a higher rate for any other town / city in the country.

Up till now we have been leaving the choice up to the customer, so when they get to the shipping screen they see all the options, for major centres and outlying areas, and hoped that they would make the right choice, but often they choose major centre even though they are not in a major centre because the rate is lower. We then have to ask them to pay the extra amount for the correct shipping and do a separate credit card payment for that, which costs us time and money.

Can you think of a way to solve this without manually entering all 1500+ towns / cities in the country? I think that having a 1500 line drop down list that the customer must scroll through is a bit messy.

Thanks so much

Marc

Hi Marc,

I'll see what I can do. I agree, having to enter 1500+ towns is not very appealing to say the lease. Even worse is the though of filling in the shipping fee matrix for that lot.

The overnight and economy are pretty straight forward but the rest could be a bit tricky. Let's see where it leads us.

Of the 9 provinces how many Major Centres are in each.

Is the flat rate/kg the same rate for all Major Centres.

Is it the same rate for all the other towns/cities.

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for responding, sorry for I am only replying now.

In most cases each province only has one major centre, but there are a couple that have more than one. The major centres are Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, East London, George, Kimberley, Nelspruit, Pietermaritzburg, Polokwane, Port Elizabeth and Pretoria.

The rate per kg is the same for any major centre.

The rate per kg is the same for any other city (not a major centre)

Thanks again.

Marc

Hi Mark,

I think the only way to deal with your set up is to be a bit creative with states (provinces) and zones.

States (which of course you can rename to Provinces) would be set up with the same names as the zones. They would need to be named in such a way that a customer registering can easily identify and select their Province from the drop down list.

I would recommend something like this.

States

• Eastern Cape (Port Elizabeth Only)
  • Eastern Cape (East London Only)
  • Eastern Cape
  • Free State
  • Gauteng (J'Burg Only)
  • Gauteng (Pretoria Only)
  • Gauteng
  • Kwazulu-Natal (Durban Only)
  • Kwazulu-Natal (Pietermaritzburg Only)
  • Kwazulu-Natal
  • Limpopo
  • Mpumalanga
  • North West
  • Northern Cape
  • Western Cape (Cape Town Only)
  • Western Cape

I haven't filled them all in but I think you will get what I mean.

Zones

The Zone would be the same as states but with the addition of Africa. I have included Africa so that the Country S. Africa has a zone to be assigned to.

Then each of the States would be assigned to the zone of the same name.

Carriers

Now you would just need 4-carriers setting up.

Carrier 1 - Economy, assigned to all zones containing major cities.

Carrier 2 - Economy, assigned to all zones except major cities.

Carrier 3 - Overnight, assigned to all zones containing major cities.

Carrier 4 - Overnight, assigned to all zones except major cities

I think that should just about do it. There will be a few other settings to sort out to get it all working like your shipping fees per carrier etc. but that should be the basis of a working system.

Of course, like a standard set up, it all relies on the customer selecting the correct State when registering, but as you don't have a 1500+ list to choose from it should be fine.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to try answer them.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

I have some problems configuring the zones.

I only enable 1 country, Malaysia.

I create 2 zones: peninsular malaysia (contains 3 states) and sabahsarawak (contains 13 states)

only 1 carrier is available, which has different shipping rates for different zones..

the question is: Can i assign the country Malaysia to both zones?

thanks in advance!

regards,

Aini

Hi Aini,

Yes you can. Your particular set up should be very easy to set up.

Keep your two zones you have created.

In countries edit Malaysia and set it's zone to Asia, Set Need zip code to No and enable states.

In states create your 16 states and assign each one to Malaysia and it's corresponding zone.

Create your Carrier and assign it to the two zones you made.

Set your price or weight ranges (not both though) ensuring they are exclusive/inclusive. for example:

0 - 5 = ?MR

5 - 10 = ?MR

10 - 15 = ?MR

15 - 20 = ?MR

Do not be tempted to set them like below as this will create gaps in your range.

0 - 5

5.01 - 10

10.01-15

15.01 - 20

Finally, click on shipping tab again and scroll down to Fees by Carrier.

Select your carrier in the dropdown and insert the prices in the grid.

That should do it.

Let me know how you get on.

• 3 months later...

Hi, Dave. I just messaged you about a question. I've been at it for hours and none of the threads here seem to be very helpful in regards to shipping by weight. I only have a couple of shipping options in the store, but First-class mail doesn't seem to want to work. Hope you can help in some way :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...