Shipping per item

You should be able to do this by setting up shipping by weight. You have to assign each product with a weight of 1. Then go through and set up the weight ranges, zones, countries, carriers and all that.

I say should because I'm trying to do the same thing and am having trouble getting it to calculate correctly. Each product is set to 1 lbs. My shipping rate is $5 for the first item, and $3 for each additional item. I tried two sets of weight ranges. One was:

0 - 1 lbs. = $5

1 -2 lbs. = $8

2 - 3 lbs. = $11

etc.

Set up like this, though, it was rounding up to $11 for only two items. There's an overlap, you see, between two ranges, so it rounds up. I tried to solve this problem by setting up weight ranges to this:

0 - 1 lbs. = $5

1.1 -2 lbs. = $8

2.1 - 3 lbs. = $11

etc.

So there should be no over lap, right? But set up this way, it just rounds up to the largest set weight range. Which is 10 - 10,000 lbs = $35.

Oh, and in Carriers I set up a new carrier that should apply to the two zones I have (US and International), it's the only carrier activated, Status, Apply Shipping Cost, Shipping & Handling are all activated, and Billing is set to according to weight.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here? I can't figure it out.

OK! I figured it out!

Under Shipping/Weight Ranges, when you create or edit a range, the first number in the range is included and the second number is excluded. I hadn't noticed before. My problem was that I started with 0 - 1 lbs. Now I have this:

1 - 2 lbs = $5

2 - 3 lbs = $8

3 - 4 lbs = $11

And it's calculating correctly!