Migrate product data from Prestashop 1.6.1.18 to Prestashop 1.7.4.4

I have looked for a couple of days now for a simple straightforward answer to this question and I am struggling to get through the clouds of spam around peoples modules they want me to buy.

All I want to do is export the product data only from Prestashop 1.6.1.18 and import to a completely fresh install of Prestashop 1.7.4.4. Its seems easy and straightforward to do this and of course I can generate a .csv file to import into the fresh install no problem, but I can't see anyway to tell Prestashop what data to export - which is a bit of a problem if fields like "description" aren't automatically included in a .csv dump.

Perhaps I am over simplifying things in my mind, but shouldn't this be fairly straightforward ?

Thanks in advance for anyone who has the time and experience to advise me.

Edited by lemonpromotions
Additional information (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thats right, you cant do that from what is native on 1.6 (or 1.7 for that matter).

There are two ways to do what you want:

1. Use a module (easy way)

I can recommend this module that does the job perfectly, and you can select exactly which fields you would like to export.
https://addons.prestashop.com/en/data-import-export/18662-products-catalog-csv-excel-xml-export.html
The developer is extremely nice, so if you have any trouble, he will surely help you.

And then of course to import it you will need the equivalent export module: https://addons.prestashop.com/en/data-import-export/18662-products-catalog-csv-excel-xml-export.html

2. Upgrade the 1.6 (requires a bit phpmyadmin/mysql knowledge)

Basicly, make a copy of your 1.6 site.
Then upgrade it with the auto upgrader (one-click-upgrade)
When it is upgraded, simply export all the product tables from the database, and then import them to your "real" 1.7 site.
Make sure that DROP TABLE is enabled when you export the tables.

Hello,

Before you want to upgrade to version 1.7 of PrestaShop, did you take the time to study and test this version to be sure that you will have all the features you already use on your fully functional version 1.6?

Basically, why do you want to upgrade to version 1.7 if everything works well on version 1.6?

• 2 weeks later...

stop trying to re-invent the wheel.  Create a test copy of your 1.6 shop and perform autoupgrade...manual upgrades/ports are for experts and that is probably why people offer module solutions, that's not spam...it's just it's obvious this is not your area of expertise so modules provide that expertise.  but it should be obvious if you compare prod export from 1.6 and compare to product  export of 1.7,  what the csv should  look like...

all this should be one on a test copy of course before pushing anything live

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2018 at 4:50 PM, El Patron said:

Create a test copy of your 1.6 shop and perform autoupgrade...

It would be great if this worked but it does not. 1-click upgrade errors on several steps and all workarounds lead only to further misfortunes. The forum is full of people getting the same errors over and over again. Prestashop disapoints with the careless treatment for the users with 1.6 and older stores.

12 hours ago, El Patron said:

and your contribution is exactly what?

Fair enough - here is where I tripped and google-concluded that Im not alone. Trying to upgrade a test-copy of production site, PS 1.6.1.16 to the latest and greatest 1.7.5. No custom theme, all external modules stopped, no caching, no overrides. When start the process it downloads the update and would not unzip it, nor see it in the directory. All permissions set to 755. - Error displayed: "/autoupgrade/latest/prestashop does not exist or is not a directory" - googled. I am sorry but do not see where one could err so far. Kindly explain to me why PS is not at fault here. Anyway - workaround found - upgrade file unzipped and uploaded in the coresponding directory. Once there the upgrade runs till right after updated all files and serves you: : [Ajax / Server Error for action upgradeDb] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:"Internal Server Error " jqXHR: " "

No workaround found yet. Server does not show an error, max execution time set at 3600, max input at 1800...

In conclusion - you are right that there is no point of bitching around without giving details on the issues but after googling countless topics with the same issues one is experiencing and no good answers are found, one might get a bit edgy.

Thanks for helping out. Came across many helpful answers by you. Much appreciated.

Edited by mnmak (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, mnmak said:

Fair enough - here is where I tripped and google-concluded that Im not alone. Trying to upgrade a test-copy of production site, PS 1.6.1.16 to the latest and greatest 1.7.5. No custom theme, all external modules stopped, no caching, no overrides. When start the process it downloads the update and would not unzip it, nor see it in the directory. All permissions set to 755. - Error displayed: "/autoupgrade/latest/prestashop does not exist or is not a directory" - googled. I am sorry but do not see where one could err so far. Kindly explain to me why PS is not at fault here. Anyway - workaround found - upgrade file unzipped and uploaded in the coresponding directory. Once there the upgrade runs till right after updated all files and serves you: :Internal Server Error " jqXHR. - googled

No workaround found yet. Server does not show an error, max execution time set at 3600, max input at 1800...

In conclusion - you are right that there is no point of bitching around without giving details on the issues but after googling countless topics with the same issues one is experiencing and no good answers are found, one might get a bit edgy.

Thanks for helping out. Came across many helpful answers by you. Much appreciated.

PS has best community support of really any ecommerce, look at magento they close their official forum then sold to adobe for 1.4 billion usd..let's hope same does not happen with PS.

For best community support

1) open a topic of your very own, don't jump on others....this way you can clearly explain where you need community support

2) see 1) lol

Please open a new topic with your above detail and any other infos...post link here...

tip: check your apache error log....and biggest tip?  when  googling try also 'prestashop github (problem description)...this is where the PS developers and active community development is done.  Seldom are we the first to experience a problem and it  could very well have been identified and hopefully solved.  PS developers are not active in forum as it's purely a community based village.

It takes many 'hats' to run a successful ecommerce solution and we all bump into barriers and I don't mean it to seem it's all easy...we call  it big rocks little rocks

7 hours ago, mnmak said:

workaround found - upgrade file unzipped and uploaded in the coresponding directory. Once there the upgrade runs till right after updated all files and serves you: : [Ajax / Server Error for action upgradeDb] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:"Internal Server Error " jqXHR: " "

No workaround found yet.

What happens if you (after unzipping, uploading in the corresponding dir) you run putty (or other shell client) from your shop root and change all directories and files to whatever your server is set up for, most likely 755, 644 and also check ownership is correct while at it? Not suggesting this will fix it, but it is worth a shot imo.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

@zsedc usually when you get upgrade errors that concerns functions such as upgradeDb, it could be a server issue.

This function that gives you a 500 error upgrades the Db, so u cant really comment it out, but you could do is to try and upgrade your site on another server, and see if it helps - u could example create a free trial on cloudways.com, upgrade it, and if it is succesful, then move back the upgraded files and database. 

• 1 month later...

I tried a few hosting providers but still the same error :(

All files upgraded. Now upgrading database...

[Ajax / Server Error for action upgradeDb] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:" " jqXHR: "

500 Server Error

Oops, something went wrong.

Try to refresh this page or feel free to contact us if the problem persists.

All files upgraded. Now upgrading database...
[Ajax / Server Error for action upgradeDb] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:" " jqXHR: "
500 Server Error
Oops, something went wrong.

Try to refresh this page or feel free to contact us if the problem persists.

• 1 year later...

Transferring Products from prestashop 1.6 to 1.7 is a nightmare. It should not be like that. It should be very easy while it's kinda the same platform only a bit better. Prestashop should have a easier system for that. Not everyone is coming to business with lots of money in their hand so that they are gonna keep investing on modules just to setup the online store which is actually a part time business for some of us to make some extra money. 

• Like 1