From 1.3.x To 1.4 Final

Thanks for the info Bruno!

I was about to ask this same question... this will be the first time we upgrade since we started using PS. We are still using 1.2.5 but want to upgrade to 1.4 due to it vast upgraded features.

Does upgrading being "easy" (as you put) stand true for those upgrading from a version older than 1.3.x (ie. for v1.2.5)??

Also, we are using a custom template, that obviously hasn't been fitted for 1.4... will there be an upgrade "procedure" to upgrade older templates to be compatible with 1.4 and its features? Or would it be best to recreate a whole new theme?

For others, who have been testing the 1.4 beta version... if you upgraded, have you had any major issues in this process? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

For others, who have been testing the 1.4 beta version... if you upgraded, have you had any major issues in this process? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

We are testing with v1.4b, upgrading from 1.2.5 with a custom template.

So far we have issues with category navigation and basket/checkout, also it will not work with Smarty 3 enabled.
This is without any indepth testing, so we have plenty to keep us busy. :)

Thanks!

We are testing with v1.4b, upgrading from 1.2.5 with a custom template.

So far we have issues with category navigation and basket/checkout, also it will not work with Smarty 3 enabled.
This is without any indepth testing, so we have plenty to keep us busy. :)

Hi,

Thanks for you reply!

So how was the upgrade process... especially with the custom theme? (We are also using 1.2.5 and a custom theme)

So I'm guessing that those problems are related to keeping your old theme with the new version, yes? Or are these problems from upgrading from 1.2.5 (presumably using the default 1.4 theme)?

Thanks again!

Hi again,

I just checkout out your site... from your signature. I noticed that you were using the one page checkout/guest checkout module. Did you have any problems in terms of the upgrade from 1.2.5 to 1.4? Did you have to uninstall it before upgrading? Any problems with your "guest" accounts?

Great site, super nice layout!

Thanks!

We use the one page checkout from Presta Modules.

To upgrade, I created a copy of our existing database and installed the latest ver of 1.4 in a folder on the site.
I started with just the standard install then went through the db upgrade process, it all went smoothly but it did need the .htaccess file recreating before the front office worked.
Then I added our extra modules one at a time in case of an issue.
It all looks ok but the nav list down the lh side doesn't work correctly, it should slide open, it doesn't.
Some items cause an error message when being added to the cart and the checkout doesn't work, I've never actually managed to get to the payment page.
After so far it shows no items in the cart and asks for address details even if you are logged in.
This is with the OP Checkout module and PS standard checkout.
You now have the option for a OP checkout in PS and guest account, once I get them working...
Unable to remove items from the cart once added.

V1.4 seems to have more settings in the BO so there may be something in there that needs changing.
I will have a closer look when I have more time.
So still plenty of work to be done, but the BO in 1.4 looks a lot nicer than the old one.
I just hope the discounts and tax work properly in this one. ;-)

Thanks for the comments on the site.
Be interested to hear how you get on with the upgrade.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yea, I've heard some horror stories when upgrading PS... we really want to upgrade when 1.4 is stable, so we're trying to get as many inputs as possible so we can be prepared. Our site is quite heavily modified including our theme... nothing that can't be replicated. But we might have to trash the theme and start a new one to take advantage of the new features in 1.4

So by the sounds of it... add to cart issues might have something to do with the database upgrade? Like maybe the new new version handles product addition in a different way than the older versions, using a different data structure? That's interesting tho... and def. needs to be fixed before we commit to upgrading.

Yea... I'm planning to give it a dry run in the next week or so on one of my test sites. I'll post regarding my results.

Thanks agaiN!

• 1 month later...

I tried a few time to upgrade from 1.3.1 to 1.3.7 and 1.4 but I don't know what i am doing wrong? everytime it failed. I uploaded and over write the old files and when i went to browser to select update option it was not here? is that because i ver write the old files? Not sure how to do this i have read the update files written but i don't understand what i should be doing any help would be great Thanks

UPDATE: got it to work I upgraded from 1.3.1 to the 1.4.17 the problem was i needed to add my setting.ini.php file and then add write permissions to it! Thanks again!

Hello everone.

I succeeded upgrading from 1.3.3.0 to 1.4.0.17, but, not succeeding to put it online.

Viewed from local computer everything works just fine.

But as I try to view presta from a remote computer, the homepage looks allright (some buttons are not visible - "add to cart" "view details"), as I click any link (e.g.) category) it reffers to localhost path and fails to load. On other computer the buttons load ok, but as I try to add item to shopping cart I get error message "TECHNICAL ERROR: unable to add the product."

Is this some path setting issue or directory rights issue ?

Thanks for answer

Hi, so far I had the following problems (I am using default theme with some changes):

footer wasn't displaying properly, had to take parts from old css and paste into the new one - sorted
most of the theme images in this version are changed from gif to png, what's the point of this? is it really worth 1kb smaller file to add 1 extra hour of work for me?
content links doesn't work, delivery, etc. just takes to homepage. - not sorted
contact icon doesnt work - takes to homepage - not sorted
bookmark icon is gone - not sorted
site map doesnt work - takes to home - not sorted
subcategory links are not displayed properly - not sorted
loyalty module - Fatal error - not sorted

that's it for now, anyone knows how to fix any of them? I think as I continue testing I'll find another 50 bugs.

hi,
I want to upgrade to latest version from 1.3.7 to 1.4.0.17, and trouble begins at first moment I log to admin. When I click tab Modules it was like no module was there (be sure they are), and my Front office was whiteb (no modul, no product, nothing). The browser was reporting to me that tehnical problems occured. I try several things with no success. After 5 hours I delet new version (1.4.x) put back 1.3.7 and import backup to database and now the shop is running again.

I think I'm stick to this version until there will be other way to upgrade, better way ;)

Dear team,

I will buy a template but for v1.3. However, I do not know if I can use it with new version of preste v1.4?

It sounds not logical not to be able to use since doing a template just for one version wouldnt be sustainable at all for the continuity of the design. I mean after buying v1.3 compatible design, it should b easily usef for v1.5 or later when they will be released as well.

Can you please illuminate if we can use v1.3 tamplete for new version with some easy changes or nothing at all.

Best regards,

Unfortunately I can't do anything more than these fast diagnostics, I never had this error previously.

Try to delete also the content of tools/smarty_v2/compile except index.php

You should contact our support services, they should be able to help you very quickly :)

Regards,

I've the same bug. Message when I attempt include an item in the cart:

"TECHNICAL ERROR: unable to add the product.

Details:
Error thrown: [object XMLHttpRequest]
Text status: error"

I've tried all your steps, but the bug persists.

“TECHNICAL ERROR: unable to add the product.

Details:
Error thrown: [object XMLHttpRequest]
Text status: error”

Getting this also....

Only when trying to add products direct from the home page.

Once you've gone in to a product it will add to the basket. These niggles are very frustrating...

Any further solution advice?

Seems I've cured this on my shop, tried several times on the pc and on the phone and the error has cleared.

All I did was generate a .htaccess file and then enabled both friendly URLs and Automatically redirect to Canonical url.

Don't know why this would have fixed it but it has! I now have a seeminly bug free 1.4.0.17!

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Don't worry:

1. You will easily upgrade the database with the install tool

2. You will easily update your theme (if you are not using the default theme) thanks to a small guide we will redact

Regards,

Would you please let me know where the install tool as you say can be received?

I have stores using version 1.3.2.3 & want to upgrade to the final 1.4

Would appreciate any specific information you give as there least information about this process.

I await your answer.