How can I use one description to All Languages without copy & paste??

You can't do that in the Back Office. You must copy and paste. That's what I do.

I suppose you could use an SQL query to copy the English text into the other languages. For example:

INSERT INTO `ps_product_lang` SELECT `id_product`, 2, `description`, `description_short`, `link_rewrite`, `meta_description`, `meta_keywords`, `meta_title`, `name`, `available_now`, `available_later` FROM `ps_product_lang` WHERE `id_lang` = 1

Change ps_ to your database prefix. This should copy all the product language from language 1 (English) to language 2 (French). You could change 2 to 3 to copy it to Spanish too.

Remember to back up your ps_product_lang table first in case anything goes wrong.

• 5 months later...

After few tries I did succedded. There was language error for one language only.

Hi Rocky (or anybody else:)

I am trying to copy text from language with id 3 to language with id 6 but for now with no success.
What exactly should I put in SQL query?

Thanks in advance.

Just change the IDs. For example:

INSERT INTO `ps_product_lang` SELECT `id_product`, 6, `description`, `description_short`, `link_rewrite`, `meta_description`, `meta_keywords`, `meta_title`, `name`, `available_now`, `available_later` FROM `ps_product_lang` WHERE `id_lang` = 3

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Isn't there a way to configure this as a default behaviour?

So displaying the description of the default language in all other languages, unless specified.

I've got the same problem with a shop I created. It's got 5 languages. The main purpose for the languages, is making the categories, information blocks, order and account controls in the customers native language.

The name of the products and description must be just in English (default language).

I'm sure there are a lot of people around there with the same problem. Creating custom SQL queries and executing them in phpmyadmin is hard to teach a store manager...

It's not a good idea to have multiple languages and only translate categories, that will make your pages over 90% identical (between all 5 languages) which will get you a penalty from search engines.

Why not translate the entire product info, that will also generate more keywords on your site in different languages, which will help with search engines...

We don't have the description in other languages than English.

The only options are now:

1. Copy/paste it every time, also after a correction. and double check because a mistake is easily made (already happened too much times)

2. Accept the limitation of prestashop and leave the description empty in other languages or

3. Remove 3 languages and keep the 2 most important onces

4. Keep asking for help and find a way to do it automatically so we don't have to make consessions

Is there anyone who can help with option 4? :)

I think there's potential for improvement here. After the admin inputs the description for the default language, the descriptions of other languages should/could be populated with either:

1) Exactly the same (description in default language), or

2) Google Translate versions of description in respective language, translated from description in default language,

depending on which option the admin has chose in settings.

#2 is particularly good as it helps save a lot of time...instead of translating everything into 10 languages, the admin just has to correct the Google translations...which is still a lot of work, but a lot less than having to do the whole thing by hand...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Sorry to bother you.. I'm encoutering a similiar problem.

I want to update the description_short from my main language to all others.

To be honest I am not too familiar with MySQL/PHPMyAdmin.

So I copied the ps_product_lang to ps_src_product_lang and deleted all but the main language rows.

Then I coped the ps_product_lang to ps_try_product_lang in order to try-on-error without messing up the original db.

Finally I tried something like this:

UPDATE 'ps_try_product_lang' SET `description_short`=(select `description_short` from 'ps_src_product_lang') WHERE

'ps_try_product_lang.id_product' = 'ps_src_product_lang.id_product'

But it didn't work as you might guess - otherwise I wouldn't have come up here ;)

Any hint appreciated ...

I'm desperated and facing 500 products to manully copy/paste through the Shop Commander (which is helpful though)

BR

Antonio

• 1 month later...

I did it with SQL. It might be an akward and complicated way but it did what I wanted in the end.

1. In PHPMyAdmin I opend my database, selected the product_lang table and exported just the language that I wanted as source to another new table.

2. I replaced all descriptions with the descriptions of the table that I just had exported.

This worked for me.

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I am using ps 1.5.6 and i have en and es language in use, can anyoane help me to move 'description' and 'short_description' for all intems from en wich has lang_id 1 to es lang_id 3. I want just those fields to send from en to es please.

Thanks