Upgrage from 1.6.0.9 to 1.7.3 - Module installed not released at 1.7.3

Hello,

We would like to upgrade our version from 1.6.0.9 to 1.7.3.

We use a module that adds custom fields at the sign up form, but the problem is that it's not released for version 1.7 and a developer told me that if we use another module instead of waiting for this to be released for 1.7.3, we may have problems, because modules create fields in database with different ways.

But is it possible that a single module can cost a site upgrade? What's your opinion about it?

Thank you in advance,
Theodora

There is no surplus updating running shops under PS 1.6. to PS 1.7. PS 1.7 is still in development and full of  bugs. Stable version is PS 1.6.

Nevertheless, if you want to learn how you shop is running with PS 1.7. in a cloned environment you need to use the 1-click-module ver. 3.0. you can download from addons site.

https://addons.prestashop.com/en/data-migration-backup/5496-.html

After login there you can choose the version of the module.

Thank you for your answer.

I know about the stability problem, but let's say that i want to upgrade the shop anyway at 1.7.3. If a module i use it's not released yet for 1.7.3 version, would cause me problems if i replace it with another module, because of the different way each module creates the database entries?

Thank you in advance,
Theodora

En 18/4/2018 a las 7:51 AM, Papantoniou dijo:

Hello,

We would like to upgrade our version from 1.6.0.9 to 1.7.3.

We use a module that adds custom fields at the sign up form, but the problem is that it's not released for version 1.7 and a developer told me that if we use another module instead of waiting for this to be released for 1.7.3, we may have problems, because modules create fields in database with different ways.

But is it possible that a single module can cost a site upgrade? What's your opinion about it?

Thank you in advance,
Theodora

Regarding the update
For now use the beta version of the module

http://build.prestashop.com/news/updated-1-click-upgrade-module/

https://github.com/PrestaShop/autoupgrade/releases/download/16-to-17-beta-1/autoupgrade.zip  

The official version (04/20/2018) still does not update from PS 1.6 to PS 1.7 https://addons.prestashop.com/es/migracion-copias-de-seguridad/5496-.html (Shortly they publish compatible official version while beta)

---------------

------------------

---------------

As for the your module, it does not look good in Prestashop 1.7 when many things have changed.

You will have to request a developer to update you with the module you used in PS 1.6

But you can try everything in a test environment.

Sorry for my English

Edited by nadie (see edit history)

On 4/20/2018 at 11:18 PM, nadie said:

Regarding the update
For now use the beta version of the module

http://build.prestashop.com/news/updated-1-click-upgrade-module/

https://github.com/PrestaShop/autoupgrade/releases/download/16-to-17-beta-1/autoupgrade.zip  

The official version (04/20/2018) still does not update from PS 1.6 to PS 1.7 https://addons.prestashop.com/es/migracion-copias-de-seguridad/5496-.html (Shortly they publish compatible official version while beta)

---------------

------------------

---------------

As for the your module, it does not look good in Prestashop 1.7 when many things have changed.

You will have to request a developer to update you with the module you used in PS 1.6

But you can try everything in a test environment.

Sorry for my English

Thank you for your answer. We can't use 1-click upgrade module, because we added custom code in the past. 

Thank you,
Theodora 

4 hours ago, Papantoniou said:

Thank you for your answer. We can't use 1-click upgrade module, because we added custom code in the past. 

I'm not following.  If you want to upgrade Prestashop, you must accept the fact that you will lose your customizations.  Get the store upgraded and then re-apply the customizations

16 minutes ago, bellini13 said:

I'm not following.  If you want to upgrade Prestashop, you must accept the fact that you will lose your customizations.  Get the store upgraded and then re-apply the customizations

Yes, i'm sorry, i didn't explain it well. Of course, we know we'll lose customizations. We are working on it. The only problem is that we don't know if that module that it's not released at 1.7.3 will cause us problems. That's why i wanted your opinion.

Thank you

The 1-click module will not cause the problem, but the extras you added (theme, modules, overrides). Before each bigger version upgrade you need to deinstall all extras (addons, themes) and disable all overrides. Only after this step you can make an upgrade, no matter if you are making a manual upgrade or via 1-click-module. This is practice for to don't have problems with foreign scripts and than after upgrade broken database tables.

Upgrades are secure only with native and core scriptings, but not with manipulated scripts or extras which are not made by Prestashop Team.

What version does this 1.6-1.7 work with ?
I have tried updating 4 times today and each time it fails at:

All files upgraded. Now upgrading database...
[Ajax / Server Error for action upgradeDb] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:"Gateway Time-out " jqXHR: "
504 Gateway Time-out

I have tried from
1.6.1.03 to latest version (twice and failed)
1.6.1.03 - 1.6.1.18 to latest version (failed)
1.6.1.03 - 1.6.1.18 - 1.7.10  (failed)

each time it fails at the "upgrading database" with the same failure message above.

Edited by MerseyRay (see edit history)

IMO currently the easiest method to upgrade to 1.72/3 is to use Migration Pro, find it in add-ons. Run it on a test site by setting up a default version of 1.7, you can add your theme it doesn't matter. Then after you get the site looking the way you want, update the migration with new data and go live.

I find 1.72 to be a substantial improvement over 1.6.17 (which I upgraded from). Running now for a month with some minor (annoying but fixable) bugs which you need to be aware of and that's why you need to first install this on a test site.

On 4/25/2018 at 9:25 AM, MerseyRay said:

[Ajax / Server Error for action upgradeDb] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:"Gateway Time-out " jqXHR: "
504 Gateway Time-out

a gateway timeout means that your servers configuration is not allowing you to execute long running processes.