Criteria for being a moderator

MahmutGulerce

Question

Hi There

My question is simple: Why you do not ask to the members before you choose a moderator. 

I am one of the oldest member here. Let me tell a horror story of a local section board. That's how Prestashop felt in out country.

• In 2008, we have just about 50 members in Turkish section and percent 100 of them were happy to use here. 
  • 2009, we increased numbers about 400 members and good developers joined us. We have daily 50 topics.
  • 2010 - 2011 : street dogs started to try selling something, so local fights triggered 
  • 2012: I banned them and all cleaned. Then the community manager changed then set some street guys as moderator
  • 2013: Some developers and old moderators left, then I fixed it again, then the community manager changed, then problems were back .... 
  • 2014: A guy who can not speak English nor even Turkish announced as "official translator manager" and ruined the Turkish language files (Can you imagine that an ambassador can not speak "one" language)
  • 2015: The community manager changed again and again. I was tired and left just like almost all of the members left.
  • Unofficial websites was appeared.
  • 2016: All topics which contains free modules had been deleted by moderators. At least 100 of them was mine.
  • 2017: We have only 2-3 active members and 1-2 topics per day.

That's why Turkey (about 80M population and 16th economy in world) has only 2K Prestashop merchants and they are unhappy. We lost all of Prestashop popularity in 10 years. Our old members are using Unofficial web sites instead of here. Also 90% of them using unofficial translations, unofficial modules e.t.c.

6 answers to this question

50 minutes ago, MahmutGulerce said:

That's why Turkey (about 80M population and 16th economy in world) has only 2K Prestashop merchants and they are unhappy. We lost all of Prestashop popularity in 10 years. Our old members are using Unofficial web sites instead of here. Also 90% of them using unofficial translations, unofficial modules e.t.c.

Sorry, but I cannot  see any connection between how to choose a moderator and the number of Turkish shops/merchants using Prestashop. This is more a specific country problem. Prestashop lost popularity in every country. Each hipe has his peak and than it decreases. This is normal selection. Competitors also do not sleep.

Each active person can apply to be a moderator. You only need to ask Prestashop Core Team in France or USA. Or better the CM. You need to be an active user, have good knowledge of Prestashop - best is working with developing team to create reliability of your person and your knowledge about the software - and also have a "white vest".

Your suggestion to ask members before an user is upgraded to be moderator will fail. Most of users here on the forum are not active one, nor they have enough view behind the scenes for to give a reliable vote on this. Furthermore most of the mods here are not community mods, but global mods. They are active in more than one forum section.

The "deletion" of threads on paid and free forum section are in accordance to the forum rules. There were several users using the forum as advertising hub. Only users with 100+ posts are allowed to add free/paid offers to the forum. Developers with more than 100 post can answer also to job offers. These rules never changed, what happened is that moderators didn't take care of  the rules consequently before. Since 2016 we are forcing the observation of the rules. All threads not according are now hidden and user PMED or warned. This measure was necessary, as several threads were old things not fitting anymore to latest Prestashop, moreover most of the thread imitators not supporting the offer or active anymore since years in the forum. Exact these offers were making the most troubles when installed and not working on actual Prestashop versions. Due to this  Prestashop lost quality and also reputation.

By forcing the observation of the rules we hope to get back the quality of good community free/paid offers.

Hi,

Personally, I see in the current scenario "strange" the issue of the 100 messages to publish free contributions.

If we currently have little activity, we are still reducing activity.

But it's the rules.

Recovering the boom of free contributions in the current scenario is very complicated.

New generations of forum users have to help as other users have helped in the past but we can not put a gun to anyone :D

--------

By the way, I remember that the contribution of the moderators since the beginning of the community is an altruistic work.

Sorry for my English,

Edited by nadie (see edit history)
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, selectshop.at said:

Sorry, but I cannot  see any connection between how to choose a moderator and the number of Turkish shops/merchants using Prestashop. This is more a specific country problem. Prestashop lost popularity in every country. Each hipe has his peak and than it decreases. This is normal selection. Competitors also do not sleep.

Each active person can apply to be a moderator. You only need to ask Prestashop Core Team in France or USA. Or better the CM. You need to be an active user, good knowledge of Prestashop, best is working with developing team to create reliability of your person and knowledge about the software and also have a "white vest".

Your suggestion to ask members before an user is upgraded to be moderator will fail. Most of users here on the forum are not active one, nor they have enough view behind the scenes for to give a reliable vote on this. Furthermore most of the mods here are not community mods, but global mods. They are active in more than one forum section.

The "deletion" of threads on paid and free forum section are in accordance to the forum rules. There were several users using the forum as advertising hub. Only users with 100+ posts are allowed to add free/paid offers to the forum. Developers with more than 100 post can answer also to job offers. These rules never changed, what happened is that moderators didn't take care of  the rules consequently before. Since 2016 we are forcing the observation of the rules. All threads not according are now hidden and user PMED or warned. This measure was necessary, as several threads were old things not fitting anymore to latest Prestashop, moreover most of the thread imitators not supporting the offer or active anymore since years in the forum. Exact these offers were making the most troubles when installed and not working on actual Prestashop versions. Due to this  Prestashop lost quality and also reputation.

By forcing the observation of the rules we hope to get back the quality of good community free/paid offers.

The problem is as you said "Each active person can apply to be a moderator". I think you missed the point.

One of current moderators was banned 3 times due to spamming/advertising and turned back again whenever CM changed. then banned, than turned back. Infinity loop. 

So as you said "each active person" can apply to be moderator. It means the change is just up to memory of this community management.

Is not it possible to find a connection between number of members and forum moderation ? Let's have a look at the unofficial websites in Turkey. All old members are using unofficial communities/translations even unofficial warez distributions . 

I have a better question:

Is there a relation between unofficial websites and moderator ? 

Rules are working only here. But the members are not here. That's a result of the same rules.

Edited by MahmutGulerce (see edit history)

• Unofficial websites, you mean exactly what  ? Nobody is allowed to use the name Prestashop as it is a registered brand. If you find any unofficial site with name Prestashop than you can report this to the legal department. https://www.prestashop.com/en/contact - one of the links there.
  • Prestashop is open source, you can take it and develop a fork. This is allowed thing. The only thing what you cannot do is to remove the copyrights code lines of Prestashop on source.
  • Regarding the ban of somebody, well this is a thing which should be discussed a part and also case by case and not in open forum.

On 3-1-2018 at 10:54 PM, selectshop.at said:

Shopkeepers who made something for their own shop that they want to share and software companies that don't specialize in Prestashop are so effectively excluded. That means a serious impoverishment of the Prestashop community.

The 100 posts rule was meant to put some requirements on people who want to make money on the forum. That it is now also applied to people who just want to contribute is just crazy. Everybody can see the difference between those two categories. So why should we have "rules" that pretend that they are the same.

Prestashop is not supported by the company - unless you pay - so why do we expect something differently from code contributors in the forum?

I have never understood the passive attitude of the moderators towards the free modules section. A thread that contains an external download that is no longer there should be disabled. A thread with software that no longer works in the newest PS versions should have a warning near the download link that mentions that. And if there is an improved version at post #40 it should be mentioned near that link in post #1 too

Our community should embrace the enthusiasm of coders who want to contribute - not put up so much obstacles that most will leave. 

Just to remember: I started what would become Prestools at the time of PS 1.4 on the basis of some abandoned PS 1.3 order modification code. And for some time I was even the only provider of that kind of software as there was no Addons module with the same functionality available. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, musicmaster said:

I have never understood the passive attitude of the moderators towards the free modules section.

It is not depend on us, we already started few topics and ask forum CM to change this rules and other rules too, now rules is not clear thats why some moderators do what they think to do.