Upgrade 1.6 to 1.7

jetway

Hi all,

I was checking into upgrading my store from 1.6 to 1.7. Therefor i installed a test server and was trying to import data. I ran into problems so i was wondering if anybody has managed to do so yet? How long did it take you?

Thanks

not sure why you need import data,  

I think you should restore the whole database of your 1.6x store from a full back and then try to upgrade to 1.7x from there?

of course, you also need to restore the full back of store files as well.

I tried this a many times but could not succeed. The upgrade stops suddenly with some java error.....

the closest i got to the upgrading was it showed the error in the end and stopped. I copied 1.7.1.1 files into the 1.6.1.13 directory.... then it threw me out of the admin panel and said i dont have permission.

Well since a 1-click update is not available i was thinking of installing a fresh clean copy of 1.7.1.1 and the importing all data...To me that approach seems easier than having a huge mess. Do you know, have the database tables changed? if so that will be the next issue

not sure why you need import data,  

I think you should restore the whole database of your 1.6x store from a full back and then try to upgrade to 1.7x from there?

of course, you also need to restore the full back of store files as well.

Well since a 1-click update is not available i was thinking of installing a fresh clean copy of 1.7.1.1 and the importing all data...To me that approach seems easier than having a huge mess. Do you know, have the database tables changed? if so that will be the next issue

In that case, you will need a data migration tool, since the database structure is different and the data might also be different.So it is not simple export or export. 
Unless you are very skilled database developer, otherwise it is difficult to do by yourself - I suggest you consider to find a tool (module) or hire someone to so that for you.
of course you can try to do that by your own if you want.

On well configured servers the upgrade with 1-click feature is easy and runs without any problems. The problem in this case are bad configured servers !

BTW: don't upgrade a live shop. There is no suruplus on Prestashop 1.7. besides that this version is full of bugs. PS 1.7. it is a transitional version for 1.8 with new Symphony framework. PS 1.7.x is still beta and it is intended for developers to learn how the next generation of Prestashop will work. If you don't have time and know-how for to serve as guinea pig, so stay with latest and stable PS 1.6. Specially, if you are only a simply user (merchant). ;)

• Like 1

Hi, as i understand there is no 1-click upgrade from 1.6 to 1.7 and probably never will be. I have pulled a copy of my live shop onto a testing server and want to see how long it takes me to do an upgrade. Just thinking about the future :-). My shop has quite some users and items and and and...I am a very skilled php and database [spam-filter] but there is so much to think of when performing an upgrade, specially a manual one.

On well configured servers the upgrade with 1-click feature is easy and runs without any problems. The problem in this case are bad configured servers !

BTW: don't upgrade a live shop. There is no suruplus on Prestashop 1.7. besides that this version is full of bugs. PS 1.7. it is a transitional version for 1.8 with new Symphony framework. PS 1.7.x is still beta and it is intended for developers to learn how the next generation of Prestashop will work. If you don't have time and know-how for to serve as guinea pig, so stay with latest and stable PS 1.6. Specially, if you are only a simply user (merchant). ;)

Are you running a live shop on 1.7.1.1? How did you do the upgrade? install a fresh copy of 1.7 and imported the data or how did you do it?

I had no problem whatsoever with upgrading to 1.7. It took some time installing, but it has run smoothly ever since. And it took care of the problem I had with the 1.6 version, where I had some annoying issues with the text not being saved.

Are you running a live shop on 1.7.1.1? How did you do the upgrade? install a fresh copy of 1.7 and imported the data or how did you do it?

Pl share the steps how you got it right.

Maybe prestashop can then make it a sticky topic.

Hi, as i understand there is no 1-click upgrade from 1.6 to 1.7 and probably never will be.

Yes this is correct, not yet possible with 1-click-module. But this feature is working without any problems in versions like 1.6 to 1.6.latest, or 1.7 to 1.7.latest. The problem on failed upgrades are only two: bad coded extras (themes and modules) and bad configured servers.

FOR NOW: The only way to upgrade is from 1.6. to 1.7. is to export all data and reimport on a fresh 1.7. install.

As I said: good luck with the buggiest version of all since Prestashop exist: 1.7. If you have time for to play, than go on. If you need a shop for to live from it, than stay with 1.6.