How to use CSS Sprites in Prestashop?

anson.c

Hi all,

I'm trying to optimize my site and looking to use CSS Sprites. For my understanding CSS Sprites is to combine multiple images into one big image, but how do I should rewrite the links in prestashop? If anyone can explain or provide some links for tutorials will be much appreciated!
Thanks!

You are supposed to choose which images you want to merge, then click the links to download the images, then click the "Export CSS" button and replace the lines in your global.css it displays with strikethru with the ones that aren't strikethru. Then upload the sprites you downloaded to the img directory inside your theme and change the sprite links to the SpriteMe website to the ones inside your theme instead.

• Like 1

You are supposed to choose which images you want to merge, then click the links to download the images, then click the "Export CSS" button and replace the lines in your global.css it displays with strikethru with the ones that aren't strikethru. Then upload the sprites you downloaded to the img directory inside your theme and change the sprite links to the SpriteMe website to the ones inside your theme instead.

Sorry for my questions. "click the links to download the images, " Which link? I have difficult time with this site. How can I upload my images so that they can be used with SpritesMe? Thank you for the help.

You don't upload your images to SpriteMe. There is a link on the homepage that says "Drag this link". You should add this to your favourites, then go to your website and select the SpriteMe link from your favourites to open SpriteMe on your site. A popup should appear on your website like in the screenshot below. You can then click on the "Make all" button, or select which images you want to make into sprites. Once the sprites are generated, you can click the blue links in the popup to download them.

26008_ILb0nc5gNb7u10fqPKUQ_t

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

You don't upload your images to SpriteMe. There is a link on the homepage that says "Drag this link". You should add this to your favourites, then go to your website and select the SpriteMe link from your favourites to open SpriteMe on your site. A popup should appear on your website like in the screenshot below. You can then click on the "Make all" button, or select which images you want to make into sprites. Once the sprites are generated, you can click the blue links in the popup to download them.

Hi there Rocky,

I like your post and I have tried myself to follow it.

I have analized my website with Google PageSpeed Insights, and I have errors in section "Combine images into CSS sprites"

I have used the favorites saved link to SpriteMe on my website, I have generated the png file, I have uploaded that on: mydomain.com/themes/mytheme/img/spriteme.png, I have tried to modify the lines in globall.css with those from spriteMe export css.

I only tried with a few files, I am not sure if it works as if I re-run the test from google I get exactly the same error.

One more thing, google recomends me to combine this image: img/icon/sitemap.gif but I can not find it in global.css or in any of the rest of css files in the folder: mydomain.com/themes/mytheme/css

Plese let me know if you have any suggestions

• 1 year later...

i have tried to use spriteme, and on its website it says "Merge these changes into the CSS rules in yoursite/theme/yourtheme/cache/a certain css file, i couldnt get it working though on all images on sprite.png, some wouldnt work

Hi there Rocky,

I like your post and I have tried myself to follow it.

I have analized my website with Google PageSpeed Insights, and I have errors in section "Combine images into CSS sprites"

I have used the favorites saved link to SpriteMe on my website, I have generated the png file, I have uploaded that on: mydomain.com/themes/mytheme/img/spriteme.png, I have tried to modify the lines in globall.css with those from spriteMe export css.

I only tried with a few files, I am not sure if it works as if I re-run the test from google I get exactly the same error.

One more thing, google recomends me to combine this image: img/icon/sitemap.gif but I can not find it in global.css or in any of the rest of css files in the folder: mydomain.com/themes/mytheme/css

Plese let me know if you have any suggestions

CleanDev, you will find the sitemap file in themes/yourtheme/img/icon folder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...