Do I have to upgrade to 1.7 when it comes out?

lgamil

Hello,

I just happen to run across an article that nemo wrote in February of this year stating how disastrous PS 1.7 will be and how it would be a monumental, sometime impossible task to upgrade to 1.7 from previous versions. I am still in the setting up stages of my first online shop using PS 1.6.1.7, and it's been very time consuming and tedious work. So my question is, when the new 1.7 comes out, do I have to upgrade to be able to use the functionality that 1.6.1.7 has? Nemo says that when the 1.7 comes out Prestashop will lose 70% of it's current members, so my question is why would it lose all these members? If I am satisfied with 1.6.1.7 and do not wish to upgrade, can i continue using 1.6.1.7 indefinitely? Will I still be able to use the BO?

I ask because like I said, I am still setting up my webshop and have not gone live yet, so if I am going to have problems with 1.7 forcing me to start all over again, then I guess I should cut my losses short and use a totally different platform now 

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated..thanks in advance

Edited by lgamil (see edit history)