Updating Prestashop

jetway

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a correct way of updating Prestashop to a new version? Why am i asking? Well because every single time i do an update something gets overwritten or settings get changed and something doesn't work anymore. The problem is it can be anything and stuff you do not expect to be changed and so you run into difficulties or do not notice it right away. I am at the point where i don't trust any update anymore.To me its just a big mess.

Cheers

Edited by jetway (see edit history)

You are right store upgrade is not very easy unless you have very simple store of Presatashop, everything is default, no additional modules or changes.

So I recommend only do store upgrade when you really need to, for example you have some critical issue needs to be fixed in newer version of you want a very important feature that is in newer version. If you really want to upgrade and your store is in production, it is better to practice the upgrade in a testing site first and then implement the same to your production. 

You don't tell from which version you are coming. 

Often problems are related to modules and templates that don't work with the new version. If you are going from 1.4 to 1.5 or newer you should always replace your template. And while the step from 1.5 to 1.6.0 is often easy the step from 1.6.0 to 1.6.1 tends to be problematic too.

After upgrading you should start with all non-Prestashop modules disabled and then enable them one by one - each time updating the module to the newest version. And if you can't find such a version: check with the supplier whether it still works.

If you have some experience with PHP and Mysql you can try my copy_shopdata script. Read the manual first! https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/445453-copy-shopdata-script-for-copying-shop-content-for-upgrade/

But - as shokinro said - if your old version is running ok, you should consider keeping that.

I'm running Version 1.6.1.5.

I always update to a new version to keep everything save and accurate. I always read the release notes to make sure no complication should arise and that all my modules in use will work.

I never update if something is critical but Nevertheless to all my precaution i have never made an update that went smooth without an issue. Settings always get changed, translations get lost and and and...Its always a surprise what will not work anymore.There is no insight what gets changed Sometimes its something you did not think. Where it gets annoying is when its visible to a customer. The worst advertising for a website are mistakes on a site

Like i said, i don't trust updates anymore cause 99% of the time it breaks something and you never know what.